Talk

Advanced search

to suggest to DD1 aged 12

(26 Posts)
poobumfartbollocks Mon 29-Nov-10 17:51:44

that she might want to put a coat on to go out and play in the snow?!!

She has gone out in t-shirt, hoodie, track bottoms and trainers.

I did suggest a coat but she did the roll eye thing accompanied by The Face

DD2 looks like the Michelin man

ChippingIn Mon 29-Nov-10 17:53:33

Save your breath - she'll come in when she's cold

It's terribly uncool to wear warm outside clothing you know grin

piscesmoon Mon 29-Nov-10 17:54:19

No point if she is deaf to common sense! She may work it out for herself.

poobumfartbollocks Mon 29-Nov-10 17:55:44

Chippin - DD2 has on woolly tights, leggings, fleecy lined jeans, vest, t-shirt, top, cardigan, coat, hat, scarf, gloves and snow boots. And I didn't tell her to she dressed herself.

Guess which one is 8 and which one is 12 going on 18 ?

mumbar Mon 29-Nov-10 18:01:54

Oh is she one of the dc's I see in just a blazer when theres a monsoon happening. Looking all forlorn and a little wet. grin.

My collegues with teens all say the same - apparently its not cool. Bet she's blardy cold tho grin

poobumfartbollocks Mon 29-Nov-10 18:03:41

Mumbar - yes she is lol

And she has a superdry coat but won't wear it to school

pices - yeah I tried, she just did the "mmoooottthhhheeeerrrrr" thing as well

I GIVE UP

I AM NOT A BAD MOTHER SHE HAS A COAT SHE JUST WON'T WEAR IT

<<feels better>>

ChippingIn Mon 29-Nov-10 18:08:41

You also have to remember that teenagers have so many hormones flying around that they genuinely do need less clothing than others!

Don't you remember this phase from your own youth?? I remember it well - all the teenage girls arriving to school looking like wet rats (thinking it looked cool/sexy/whatever) then sitting on the radiators to warm up/dry out - complaining the school never had them on warm enough grin

ladyfirenze Mon 29-Nov-10 18:09:43

it's not just 12 year olds.... has anyone seen the latest pics of geordie lasses out in the toon?

ladyfirenze Mon 29-Nov-10 18:10:33

am coat owning geordie btw

ChippingIn Mon 29-Nov-10 18:18:17

Geordie lasses out on the town are hardy creatures! Yet the same kids are wearing 14 layers in the daytime grin

Mind you... it has to be said... I still don't like wearing a coat!

ladyfirenze Mon 29-Nov-10 18:22:23

what about the fact that those self same 'no coaters' are the ones who wander about the house wearing their pj's, dressing gowns AND duvets, with the fire on full and the central heating blasting....

ChippingIn Mon 29-Nov-10 18:28:03

...and...???????

Niceguy2 Mon 29-Nov-10 18:29:52

Yanbu. My 14yr old DD won't wear a decent coat hut we've compromised on a fashion coat which is thickish. I had to buy it instead of her clothing allowance.

Had running battles with DS too. That said, last week On the school run I looked at the car thermometer which said 0 degrees then drove past one of his mates in just a T shirt. shock Glad I'm not his parent!

Figgyrolls Mon 29-Nov-10 18:32:35

At 12 I vividly remember going outside in the biggest rainstorm in a shirt and skirt when at school hmm wtf was I thinking? Don't worry she'll get it, when she is older. Until then think of it as a health spa treatment for 12 year olds! grin

LynetteScavo Mon 29-Nov-10 18:33:22

YANBU. It is a mothers job to remind their children to wear warm clothes in cold weather.

DH jokes I will be phoning DS1 when he is 25 to make sure he wearing his coat. At least, DH thinks it's a joke, I know I will be doing it.

bellavita Mon 29-Nov-10 18:35:02

I have a DS just like it...

ladyfirenze Mon 29-Nov-10 18:35:55

<verbally directs dc to continue to brush teeth> (location: under duvet in front room where fire is on full)

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Mon 29-Nov-10 18:36:17

I couldn't even stick my arm out the window in this weather without a coat on. How do they do it?!

PlentyOfParsnips Mon 29-Nov-10 18:42:52

DS went to school this morning wearing three tshirts and a brushed cotton shirt under his school shirt, no sweater, just a blazer, no coat. He will at least wear gloves, hat and scarf now though.

Perhaps there should be a MN campaign to encourage pop stars, footballers etc. to model coats and make them trendy.

MissMarjoribanks Mon 29-Nov-10 18:47:42

My DS is going to be like this. He chucked both his gloves out of the pushchair last week without me noticing. We retraced our steps but they were nowhere to be found. sad

I suspect some other mother of an 11mo old is using them as trying to buy him some replacements is impossible - everywhere has sold out. We were reduced to socks on the way to my friend's house today, where she kindly lent us some.

And, to add insult to injury on the day he chucked them out an interfering old biddy old lady said loudly to him, 'oh you poor thing where are your gloves in this cold weather'? angry

bruffin Mon 29-Nov-10 18:55:50

DS 15 has just got in from school complaining that his hands were numb and he can't use his fingers. I did point out it might have been a good idea to take gloves with him, but this was the boy who went kayaking on saturdayshock

ladyfirenze Mon 29-Nov-10 19:31:38

it's impossible to get them to wear coats anyway once they get to high school, as they can't have them in the classroom, yet there's nowhere to stash them....

Tetherbumfit Mon 29-Nov-10 20:29:09

Message withdrawn

ramblingmum Mon 29-Nov-10 20:39:20

My dd1 is only 4 but refuses to wear more than 2 layers. She will wear a coat but only a T-shirt underneath
Then again my father likes to remined me that he, like all small boys at that time, wore shorts all winter. I think he probably wore a coat though.

poobumfartbollocks Mon 29-Nov-10 22:00:42

We have just come in from a thingy at the school.

Apparently she is normal hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now