Talk

Advanced search

for feeling smug when mothers of school-agers describe themselves as "Full-time mums" or "Housewives"?

(787 Posts)
CareeringAlong Mon 29-Nov-10 16:22:23

Name change...

Following from the threads about life at home when you don't do voluntary of paid work, although your children are of school-age, I was wondering if anyone else who does work can't help feeling a tad superior? Oh yes, I know I'll be flamed for this, but there it is.

These housewives seem to do all the things that working mothers do (cooking, cleaning, planning etc, etc, etc) but don't have any purpose outside of this. They seem to think that doing the supermarket shopping is a reasonable replacement for a 'real' career. I can't help but feel prejudiced against them.

I'm currently a SAHM as DD is pre-school, but will do paid (and voluntary) work as soon as she's in school. I'm looking forward to building-up my career again and working for the family.

Oh, and before anyone jumps on this, I've always cooked decent-quality meals from scratch, even when I worked v. long hours; my dogs are walked in the early hours; and my house is always clean and tidy. I argue that ironing is for losers, however!

OK. Hard hat on!

ClearAndChristmasPresent Mon 29-Nov-10 16:23:38

Oh you are so in for it now....

Anyway, YABU. People make their choices. You make yours.

ClearAndChristmasPresent Mon 29-Nov-10 16:24:08

(I only bothered writing this to try out my name change)

Chathappy Mon 29-Nov-10 16:24:33

Here's a cigar... And a biscuit too.

PamelaFlitton Mon 29-Nov-10 16:24:38

YANBU

scurryfunge Mon 29-Nov-10 16:24:40

Are you bored?

BeribbonedGibbon Mon 29-Nov-10 16:24:51

wind up

CareeringAlong Mon 29-Nov-10 16:24:57

I know I am. I also know I'm not the only one who feels like this! wink

DeathandTaxes Mon 29-Nov-10 16:25:07

Good for you dear. Big pat on the back. hmm

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 29-Nov-10 16:25:32

Christ.

You will need the best of britosh luck with this thread, mate.

God only knows why you would feel smug about working tbh.

You don't get gold medals for it, you know.

WhatsWrongWithYou Mon 29-Nov-10 16:25:37

Out of interest, are you planning on having any more children?
I think you'll find a lot of SAHMs didn't have the option of returning to work when their oldest reached school age, as there were 2 or 3 others by then as well.

CareeringAlong Mon 29-Nov-10 16:26:05

Not bored. Well, maybe a bit!

Not a wind-up though!

strandedatseasonsgreetings Mon 29-Nov-10 16:26:06

No I think they probably feel superior that they can sit around and put their feet up all day while you are slaving at work then rushing around like a mad thing in the evenings/weekends to do everything else smile

I am assuming this is a purposefully antagonistic post so enjoy! However I am not sure there are very many women like you describe. Most are usually up to something..

Flumptious Mon 29-Nov-10 16:26:15

I'm jealous of them, but maybe that's just me.

Well done you for being perfect.

BitOfFun Mon 29-Nov-10 16:26:35

I feel so offended by your post that I may need to go for another lie-down. Or perhaps take a hot relaxing bath.

scurryfunge Mon 29-Nov-10 16:26:55

I think you think about going back to work before your DC go to school - that will certainly add to your smugness. (and it will give you something to do too).

Tikiinasantahat Mon 29-Nov-10 16:27:16

you are hilarious, well done.

CareeringAlong Mon 29-Nov-10 16:27:47

I'm talking about people who don't have any pre-schoolers.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 29-Nov-10 16:28:01

I'm very jealous of you. I'd love to have it all.

hmm

Tikiinasantahat Mon 29-Nov-10 16:28:45

ha ha ha ha ha ha

soggy14 Mon 29-Nov-10 16:29:03

>...These housewives seem to do all the things that working mothers do (cooking, cleaning, planning etc, etc, etc) but don't have any purpose outside of this...<

I agree - in many careers you get to spend your time: making money for someone else; pushing bits of paper around; making really important things like "Christmas gift sets" or "fashion clothing"; selling these really important things; pursuading people that they want to buy these vital lifestyle enhancing things etc rather than having to focus on bringing up your children wink

And of course working parents, especially those who work full time, are well known for cooking, cleaning, planning etc and never resort to ready meals and cleaners

VivaLeBeaver Mon 29-Nov-10 16:29:48

I'm the only mum out of my friends who is in paid employment. The rest are "housewives". I'm very envious. grin

MeMudmagnet Mon 29-Nov-10 16:29:56

YABU Organise your own life and stop looking over your shoulder hmm

DilysPrice Mon 29-Nov-10 16:30:06

Not smug, no, but I do think to myself "what do you do all day?"
To be fair I don't think I know anyone personally in this position ATM, everyone on my school run either has pre-schoolers or a PT job or is studying.

WhatsWrongWithYou Mon 29-Nov-10 16:30:44

I know you're talking about people who don't have any pre-schoolers; I take it if you did have another child you'd want to spend the same amount of time at home with them - thus extending your time out of the workplace and your employability.

Why am I even engaging with this?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: