Talk

Advanced search

be be annoyed at the babysitter?

(15 Posts)
emma123456 Mon 29-Nov-10 09:50:25

We came home on sat night to find baby sitter sound asleep and the key lodged firmly on the inside of the door so we couldnt get into the house. It was freezing. We phoned the house twice (very loud phone) and called her mobile....no answer. Dh climbed over the gate and went around the back of the house to thump on the windows and finally she woke up and let us in.

I'm furious, we pay £6 per hour...it was just before midnight so not stupidly late. Im concerned that she would not have heard the kids had they woken given the effort we had to go to to get back in our house.

She is supposed to be sitting for us again on thursday. WWYD? We should say something shouldnt we?

gorionine Mon 29-Nov-10 09:52:41

The fact that she fell asleep does not worry me one bitbut the fact that it took so much to wake her up might be a bit of an issue.

CrazyPlateLady Mon 29-Nov-10 09:54:59

Presumably you go to sleep with your DCs in the house?

Sandinmyshoes Mon 29-Nov-10 09:55:13

How old is she... and what did you say to her when you got in? Was she mortified and apologetic? (I would have been!) I think it depends what's already been said as to how you approach Thursday. If she does sit again, ring her a couple of times through the evening to keep her awake!

When I used to babysit if the parents were going to be late they used to ring as they were leaving to head home so we could all avoid the whole embarrassing waking up scenario... You're right though - before midnight isn't that late.

emma123456 Mon 29-Nov-10 09:58:01

Im not bothered that she was asleep, clearly we sleep with kids in the house. Im upset that the kids could have called for her and she wouldnt have responded and thats what a sitter is supposed to do.

emma123456 Mon 29-Nov-10 10:01:02

She's young, maybe early 20's. She was embarrassed when she finally woke up and let us in. We were outside for about 20 mins banging on the door, trying to get in!

altinkum Mon 29-Nov-10 10:04:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

altinkum Mon 29-Nov-10 10:04:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrazyPlateLady Mon 29-Nov-10 10:08:11

20 minutes!

Ask her if it usually takes her that long to wake up and what would she have done if your DCs had woken up. Give her a ring and tell her it has been bothering you that as she was so difficult to wake, you are concerned she wouldn't have heard the children.

She may have been to the gym for hours or anything. It may have been a one off due to a really busy day. Some people do find midnight late to those who say it isn't.

scattercushion Mon 29-Nov-10 10:14:13

could you have a monitor in the front room with the volume turned way up so if she did fall asleep the kids crying would wake her? And explain why it's there etc which would hopefully embarrass her into not doing it again!

MisSalLaneous Mon 29-Nov-10 10:15:09

I wouldn't risk it again if I were you - what if there was a fire or something? However awkward it might be though, I would give her the honest explanation as to why you are cancelling. It won't make a difference to your situation, but hopefully she could learn from it.

ChippingIn Tue 30-Nov-10 08:01:35

It wouldn't bother me if the babysitter dozed off - but it would worry me if she wasn't easily woken.... I would ring her and talk to her.

Altinkum - so long as the babysitter is 'old enough' why does it matter exactly how old she is confused
..... How are you feeling now? How did things go last night?

HecateQueenOfWitches Tue 30-Nov-10 08:13:32

Agree. The problem here is how long it took her to wake. There is a risk there.

And yes, parents sleep too grin. My children only have to turn over in bed and I have one eye open! That's the difference. A parent will wake if there is a noise.

I think. I do anyway. People I talk to say they do. I am only assuming it is a universal thing, this 'hear a noise from the child's room, sit bolt upright' reaction of the parent.

ItalianLady Tue 30-Nov-10 08:15:48

I wouldn't have her sit for you again unless she could absolutely guarantee that she would wake if the children needed her/the smoke alarm went off/the phone rang but it would be made clear it is her last chance.

mangoandlime Tue 30-Nov-10 08:20:47

Somehow I doubt she'll be falling asleep again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: