Talk

Advanced search

to ask for advice

(17 Posts)
AuntiePickleBottom Mon 29-Nov-10 00:10:59

my dp suffers from panic attack and anxity.

it is really getting me down as we don't go out, go on hoildays, can't even have the curtains opened, but most impotantly school plays and parents evening as dp just wont cope

is there any way out of this so we can be a noraml family.

Also we are meant to be getting married put off for over 4 years due to this

BitOfFun Mon 29-Nov-10 00:12:34

What medical help is he getting?

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 29-Nov-10 00:14:32

none, as it not server enough

PurpleLostPrincess Mon 29-Nov-10 00:16:00

You might be better off in the Mental health area picklebottom. My DH has suffered for many years from panick attacks/anxiety and agoraphobia as well as a whole list of other things. We ended up having a very small wedding and didn't go on holidays for quite a few years. Now, if we go it's a big deal for him... Do you have any support from your GP, or does he see the community mental health team at all? It's important he gets medical help as well as support, although I appreciate that is really hard when you can barely get him out of the front door!

BuntyPenfold Mon 29-Nov-10 00:16:06

It sounds severe to me, if you can't go out or open the curtains.

He needs professional help.

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 29-Nov-10 00:18:40

i think because he is working, that the GP don't take him serious

Baileysandice Mon 29-Nov-10 00:24:02

ok, lets tackle one thing at a time. Firstly, open curtains yourself, what is the worse that could happen? Secondly, regarding wedding your gonna have to be sneaky and forceful if this is something you really want to happen. I did this with my hubby who, like yours suffers really bad with anxiety and related stuff. I rang my local reg. office to book first appt to arrnage date and to show them our documents, ie, ID, etc, bascially we organised a very very small reg office wedding do in front of close family and friends and had a lunchtime meal, low cost wedding. Made my own bouquet, got cake myself, printed invites on pc. We had 21 days notice to wedding and cause of that my lovely man had no time to back out and get stressed see.

He will need to be lead by you in a loving but firm way to help him overcome his fears if you EVER want wedding and holidays etc.

BitOfFun Mon 29-Nov-10 00:24:29

It really does need looking at, if it's affecting your life together, which it clearly is.

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 29-Nov-10 00:31:10

what help is there without our usless gp

Baileysandice Mon 29-Nov-10 00:32:48

Contact your local MIND

Baileysandice Mon 29-Nov-10 00:34:30

http://www.mind.org.uk/

FunkySnowSkeleton Mon 29-Nov-10 00:40:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 29-Nov-10 00:40:24

thank-you

Baileysandice Mon 29-Nov-10 00:47:35

Good luck. X Keep us posted?

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 29-Nov-10 00:52:31

see, getting married is only importnat as due to policy dp wont be able to claim a penny of my pension if i was to die ( depressing but i would rather he had the money we both live without atm)

i rather go on hoilday with the kids, day trips and dp going to the school to show his face ( what if i was in hospital and there was no one to pick up our son)

onmyfeet Mon 29-Nov-10 07:09:01

He needs help, his life is being impacted because of his anxiety.

santasbluebaubles Mon 29-Nov-10 07:16:23

It sounds severe to me if he won't go out and won't even open the curtains. Is there another GP at your practice you could see?

Is hemanaging to go out to work or does he work at home?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now