Advanced search

that evil is winning

(47 Posts)
MrsTedHughes Sun 28-Nov-10 23:08:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sun 28-Nov-10 23:10:52

alphamummy Sun 28-Nov-10 23:13:44

Its makes me feel low too, its he helplessness that makes it so hard isnt it?

Its all the child abuse stories that really really get me, to the point where i think about them for months after. I still think about baby p and cry. (btw i do try and avoid such stories as they do affect me so much)

YANBU

Lynli Sun 28-Nov-10 23:14:50

I feel the same, I have often thought if you can live in this world and stay sane there must be something wrong with you.

It is sad that these things happen, but there are still more good people than bad in the world, they just don't make the headlines.

MrsTedHughes Sun 28-Nov-10 23:21:12

backwardpossom Sun 28-Nov-10 23:23:41

I like to think that more good happens than evil, it's just that it's only the bad things that get reported.

MillyR Sun 28-Nov-10 23:24:14

I think this kind of thing has a much greater impact on mothers of young children. I find the news much more bearable now mine are a bit older.

MrsTedHughes Sun 28-Nov-10 23:31:13

DuelingFanio Sun 28-Nov-10 23:33:02

I agree with Reality, maybe a visit to the GP would help put things into perspective?

WhyHavePets Sun 28-Nov-10 23:33:11

I stopped reading the paper and watching the news for the same reasons you are experiencing. The news got me so down but I realised that it was because there was nothing I could do about it, I simply did not have the resources to help anyone, politically, emotionally, financially...
So I stopped, didn't read papers or watch the news for quite a long time (about a year I think).

I am now, generally, more capable emotionally and have started reading papers again, I still avoid the news as I have less control over it. With a paper I can just put it down if it gets too much but you do not have that instant control with the tv. Anyway, it worked, I can now read these things with a sense of perspective, look at them and reflect on what I can do, accept it when there is nothing that I can do.

It really is worth taking a break!

backwardpossom Sun 28-Nov-10 23:33:36

MrsTed I regularly cried at the news when DS was teeny weeny. I still do now, but am getting less emotional!

MillyR Sun 28-Nov-10 23:39:12

I think it could be hormonal, or just feeling responsible for your own children who are young and therefore vulnerable makes you feel responsible for vulnerable people in general and/or makes you want the world to be a safe and compassionate place for your children to grow up in.

I also think that having young children is very time consuming, and gives you very limited opportunities to help others in wider society. When you have more time and the opportunity to help just one stranger, that can alleviate the feelings of having no control over the wider world. But when children are little, so often you have no choice but to focus on your own family's needs.

But it is common to get upset when you have young children. I once cried because Dom Joly played a mean trick on some woman on tv.

ilovehens Sun 28-Nov-10 23:39:30

Please stop reading the papers, they just get you down. I had to stop reading them too for this very reason. I just follow the main stories on radio or main news and that's all I can cope with. The newspapers are fatal.

AphraBen Sun 28-Nov-10 23:39:52

You don't need to see a doctor about bad news stories getting you down, its normal and with small children its particularly unsettling as you're going to be sensitive to their vulnerability and probably also knackered from looking after them - and therefore more sensitive yourself.

There are not more crimes and wars and abductions than there have been in the past, but certain types of stories become more popular news items and then you can feel bombarded by child abuse or failures in the system to stop it, and so on.

I would say be careful what you read and what time of day (not when you're most tired), make sure you avoid the tabloids, and try to maintain a balanced view of life for yourself. I hope you feel better.

pissedrightoff Sun 28-Nov-10 23:41:36

I think its called 'Weldschmertz' (sp)
I remember it was mentioned in a novel I read once.

I can get a bit like this myself sometimes, Talk to your GP.

SparklyJules Sun 28-Nov-10 23:43:04

A lot of it is the culture of 24 hour news. It's always available, on tv, radio, on-line, in the papers, in waiting rooms/train stations/at work etc etc... sometimes there is no escape. And the fact that events in other countries are reported in our "own" news - 30 years ago you wouldn't have heard about a child abuser in another country. And these terrible things have always happened throughout human history, we just didn't hear about them. It seems now that the world has shrunk, that wars and famines oversees are reported on as though they are right on our doorstep.

But yes, I understand what you mean. I keep asking myself what is wrong with people? Why can't people just live their lives and be nice to each other? I feel myself getting anxious sometimes and like the others who posted, I take a break from the news and it does help.

PamelaFlitton Sun 28-Nov-10 23:43:11

For your news intake, watch 'Russell Howard's Good News' instead

SparklyJules Sun 28-Nov-10 23:44:00

*'overseas' I should have said.

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sun 28-Nov-10 23:45:28

WhyHavePets Sun 28-Nov-10 23:46:44

that is it Aphraben, balance. When you read papers etc you get none of the good stuff really, it is unbalanced and that is unhealthy for anyone but especially somoene at a sensitive point in life.

There are many many more good stories out there than bad, it is just that the good ones do not sell rags!

pissedrightoff Sun 28-Nov-10 23:47:27

Reality- Sushi for beginners (not that I've read all of them you understand, not at all)

AphraBen Sun 28-Nov-10 23:49:28

I agree WhyHavePets - but sometimes those local papers have "300 pounds raised by children for charity" or "granny catches graffiti artist in the act and makes citizens arrest" - I really find that kind of thing helps balance out all the other stuff.

sfxmum Sun 28-Nov-10 23:51:16

agree with AphraBen actually

I think also that some stories affect you more once you have children, many years ago I worked with very damaged children and at the time I thought it was difficult but still just work, over ten years later I had dd and recall perfectly holding her when she was an infant and being hit by images of what I knew people did

I had to get a grip but could not really stop them coming just managing them and sorting them in my head I guess

as for world events, I think you can affect your family and those around you and that has to be a good start

I don't think it is about 'evil' winning, it is about good people doing good things everyday

LittlebearH Sun 28-Nov-10 23:53:16

Since having my DD I cannot read bad news about people suffering.

I try to help people whenever I can but some people in this world are evil.

MrsTedHughes Sun 28-Nov-10 23:54:29

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: