Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think a lot of Wikileaks output is just naive shit-stirring?

(9 Posts)
Chil1234 Sun 28-Nov-10 09:52:35

Our enemies must be rubbing their hands every time another embarrassing/one-sided Wikileaks expose is in the offing. If they were exposing serious war-crimes on both sides I might be able to take this site seriously. But now that they are publishing sensitive diplomatic papers I can't help thinking that they are just shit-stirring for their own amusement or some agenda known only to themselves.

medetre Sun 28-Nov-10 10:00:07

YABU I think some of the stuff published has been fascinating to read

Doigthebountyeater Sun 28-Nov-10 10:04:27

I agree. I discussed this with my husband a while ago and he felt that if there were 'war crimes' etc committed by our lot then they are under a moral obligation to admit them, otherwise we are no worse than criminals. He says that honesty is the best policy no matter what. I, on the other hand, am inclined to feel that whilst we are at war and we have soldiers in danger, then this kind of shit stirring is unpatriotic and downright dangerous. Never mind the fact that the information can be used to fuel the fevered imaginations of would be terrorists. Husband says that covering up wrong doing so that we can perceive ourselves as morally superior is wrong. So whilst I agree with you Op, I can also see the point that DH is making.

TheCoalitionNeedsYou Sun 28-Nov-10 10:06:03

No, wikileaks and similar sites serve a useful purpose addressing some of the information imbalance between the powerful and the rest of us. Taleban and islamist terrorist atrocities are already well documented. It has previously hosted reports about tje behaviour of Chinese intelligence and extra judicial killings in Kenya.

The fault is with those whose actions are reported on, and those who assumed that information security was possible. Authorities and governments should behave at all times as if they were open to public scrutiny.

Doigthebountyeater Sun 28-Nov-10 10:07:51

I agree Coalition however it is not the powers that be who will pay the price for their arrogance but westerners abroad, soldiers and people in bombings at home.

MaDuggar Sun 28-Nov-10 10:08:30

Havent the government sent out a d-notice to teh press, to dissaude them from publishing anything from the new docs?

Doigthebountyeater Sun 28-Nov-10 10:09:08

During a time of war, could it not be argued that Wikileaks is serving a somewhat similar purpose to Lord Hawhaw in WW2?

TheCoalitionNeedsYou Sun 28-Nov-10 10:15:12

Doig - re: first point. That is the responsibility of those who took the actions, not those who reported on them. Re: point 2 - no, not even slightly.

TheCoalitionNeedsYou Sun 28-Nov-10 10:19:28

I don't think a d-notice makes much difference if the information is published publicly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: