Talk

Advanced search

Rubbish maternity unit

(12 Posts)
anothabubbla Sat 27-Nov-10 21:55:04

Am I being unreasonable to declare that Tameside General has the worst maternity unit in the UK - dirty - gave me an infection which damaged my nerves (not just the physical ones either!), staff bad attitude - accused me of "refusing treatment" when I queried an injection; told me that newborns can't get dehydrated. Just wanted to vent. Done with it now.

Scarabeetle Sat 27-Nov-10 21:59:40

Venting is good. Getting a lawyer may be better. Sorry to hear you've been through a rough time. Hope you're enjoying your baby now.

KaraStarbuckThrace Sat 27-Nov-10 22:01:46

It would probably be more useful to put your complaints in writing to their Head of Maternity Services.
Sorry you had such a shit time

TheCrackFox Sat 27-Nov-10 22:06:25

Venting is good but putting in an official complaint is more effective.

AngelHMum Sat 27-Nov-10 22:07:04

My personal experience is that TGH has lots of problems in lots of departments ! My parents have both been treated very shoddily there over the past year. Care seems to be almost non-existent at that hospital.
Maternity seems to have a particularly bad reputation though. I haven't had any of my children there but have heard horror stories from friends and family who have.
You can complain through their PALS but don't hold your breath waiting for a reply.

Francesca1987 Sun 28-Nov-10 08:42:48

Dont even mention Shameside to be. Id happily bomb the damn place. I have major issues with the childrens unit.

PS my mum used to be the manager of the ante natal unit, set up the harebell suit, now she is semi retired and just does 2 days a week. I hope she hasnt played any part in this.

Francesca1987 Sun 28-Nov-10 08:43:42

Also had my baby there and was pretty disgusted by the way i was treated.

Ryoko Sun 28-Nov-10 09:55:06

The Edith Dare Ward at Imperial College Hammersmith and Chelsea hospital is crap hole as well.

And don't get me started on the birthing centre, so glad I had to have an emergency C-Section in the Labour unit (that seemed to be the only decent part of the entire place).

mankyscotslass Sun 28-Nov-10 10:00:23

I was given the option to give birth at Tameside. Given it's reputation I refused.

Really, you need to complain through every channel you can. It's a shocking hospital.

Indith Sun 28-Nov-10 10:06:52

So sorry you had a bad experience. Please do make a proper complaint. If nobody puts anything in writing to the powers that be then nothing will change, the hospitals need to know these things.

Ineedsomesleep Sun 28-Nov-10 10:11:48

If you do want to write, the details of the Board are here

anothabubbla Sun 28-Nov-10 20:17:00

Thanks for your comments - you're all being more reasonable than me. I did make a formal complaint. It took me three years to pluck up the courage to do so. They gave me some platitudes. I still can't go near the place without having to suppress panic. There are alternative hospitals thank goodness.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: