Talk

Advanced search

To have not tipped the hairdresser today

(114 Posts)
Cumbrian07 Sat 27-Nov-10 20:53:00

Basically didn't have any change to tip the hairdresser and paid for my highlights by card. Got a really dirty look from the receptionist. Felt really bad. I know they don't get paid loads.

HecateQueenOfWitches Sat 27-Nov-10 20:54:02

No. They don't.

And employers get away with it because we make it up into a living wage!

DuelingFanio Sat 27-Nov-10 20:55:20

I had a haircut yesterday and didn't tip. Are you supposed to? At £46 for a haircut I wouldn't have tholught it was necessary!

Wilts Sat 27-Nov-10 20:56:38

I have been today and not tipped her. No dirty looks for me though.

Frazzledmumwithsmudgedmascara Sat 27-Nov-10 20:56:41

A hairdresser's wage being poor depends on whether they are self-employed or not. My friend is a hairdresser renting a chair in a salon and earns very well. The woman who rents the chair next to her earns over 1k net per week. By contrast, others in the same salon that choose to be employed rather than self-employed are on little over minimum wage.

OP, YANBU, tipping isn't compulsory.

PrivetDancer Sat 27-Nov-10 20:56:49

Blimey, I never tip hairdressers, it costs enough as it is!
I used to be a shampoo girl when as school and would say back then only about 10% of people tipped (the hairdressers not me), it's not what most people do.

lucy101 Sat 27-Nov-10 20:58:52

I always tip mine usually £3-5 and the girl who shampoos £1. I have been going to my hairdresser for years though and she has been very kind to me. I also give her a pressie at Christmas.

JaxTellersOldLady Sat 27-Nov-10 20:59:00

you need to find a new hairdresser! Mine are lovely, I go frequently to get things done, highlights, model days, haircuts etc and usually tip, but if I dont have any change I just say so.

Also, how dare the receptionist give you a dirty look/ shock Some people dont tip at all and take in a gift around Christmas time.

Cumbrian07 Sat 27-Nov-10 20:59:11

Privet dancer, really? I'm surprised. I thought most people tipped. Maybe I won't feel so bad then.

howtoapproach Sat 27-Nov-10 21:06:20

I don't tip hairdressers. I paid £14 for my 5 year old to have a 10 minute dry cut recently. She's only got a scraping of hair. It's outrageous.

ShoppingDays Sat 27-Nov-10 21:06:52

I only occasionally tip hairdressers. I don't really see why some jobs are meant to attract tips while others do not. And hairdressers earn a lot more than I do, so I can't really afford the extra.

tummysgoingslowly Sat 27-Nov-10 21:10:26

I tipped £1 today for highlights and a cut, but that's only because it was the change.

No glare.

I figure I'm paying for a service that has a set price attached to it, and we have contractually agreed on that price. Also, she wasn't particularly warm or chatty. Dunno, it just seems silly and a bit idunno, american to me.

Or maybe I'm just a tightarse blush

ValiumSingleton Sat 27-Nov-10 21:15:04

tipping drives me crazy. i hate it. it actually makes me dread having my hair done/legs waxed.

ClimberChick Sat 27-Nov-10 21:21:40

I've never tipped a hairdresser, never even thought to.

Even if I had, I wouldn't as it's normally a scrape to pay for it in the first place.

ivykaty44 Sat 27-Nov-10 21:23:01

I tip the junior, she was at school with my own dd1 and lovely girl. I don't tip my hairdresser as he owns the shop so would be a bit weird...oh and I have a fair idea how much he pays his staff and it is a generous wage above minum pay

ellesbelles79 Sat 27-Nov-10 21:26:41

No YANBU.

They get paid to do their job & provide a good service. Why should they get "extra" for simply doing their job?

Unrulysun Sat 27-Nov-10 21:27:29

See I never know whether to tip mine or not. I used to have my hair cut by the guy who owned the salon which made it even more difficult. I hate not knowing!

tummysgoingslowly Sat 27-Nov-10 21:30:51

I snogged mine once, after the cut (it was the end of the evening and everyone else had gone). Does that count?

TitianTinselTemptress Sat 27-Nov-10 21:32:27

What Frazzled said - and lol (sorry) at tummy - brilliant, it must have been a bloody good cut! grin

HaveToWearHeels Sat 27-Nov-10 21:38:25

YANBU I never tip my hairdresser and I pay £54 for a cut and blowdry. The salon that I go to they get a basic salary plus commission and I gather as she is a single Mum has bought her own house, drives a brand new covertable car and goes on two foreign holidays a year, she aint doing to bad for herself. She is lovely and has never batted an eyelid at not tipping.

ShanahansRevenge Sat 27-Nov-10 21:38:28

I find it awkward...I mean you only have to look t me to know I dont have much cash...so I feel bad not tipping and pathetic if I do!

I think they should have some sort of thing where people can stick some cash in if they want..the way some cafes have.

tummysgoingslowly Sat 27-Nov-10 21:38:35

TBH don't remember wink

But he was cute and I thought he was gay at first so had the confidence to flirt grin

However, I was too embarrassed to go back!

redflag Sat 27-Nov-10 21:39:47

May i just say,i am a hairdresser (well was anyway, quit to work in a bank, better money) I worked a 6 day week 8.50 until 7 and i got £200 a week for that, tips made up my wage! and show appreciation.

TitianTinselTemptress Sat 27-Nov-10 21:44:03

Just imagine what could have been - you'd never have had to pay for a haircut again! Although my BF's DP is a hairdresser (or stylist as i believe they prefer to be known) - he is camp as a row of pink tents but totally straight and a fab hairdresser - and yet she struggles to get him to cut her hair! Such is life - I said she ought to book in to the salon under a pseudonym

tummysgoingslowly Sat 27-Nov-10 21:53:54

@ TTT grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now