Talk

Advanced search

To try and start a campaign to stop the uk release of 'A Serbian film'

(614 Posts)
spidersandglue Sat 27-Nov-10 20:25:22

I'm not suggesting anyone read the synopsis as that's disgusting enough. But I don't know how the government can allow this disgusting film to be released!

Surely this sort of film encourages paedophillia and violent rape.

There are more slaves alive now than there has been before at any time in the history of the world. The majority of this is sex trafficking.

I'm revolted that a film like this can be given even a censored release date (10th)

daisy5678 Sat 27-Nov-10 20:33:52

Having seen an article about it and then having read the synopsis and the review from a prominent horror critic who likens watching the film to 'having your soul raped', I would agree with you. Seriously seriously fucked up. Have seen no positive reviews whatsoever. The best thing said about it was that it pushes boundaries but I think there are some boundaries that shouldn't be pushed. YANBU at all.

NeverEatYellowTaintedSnow Sat 27-Nov-10 20:48:30

I've read the synopsis too. And normally I would be right up there telling you to get a grip and stop being so precious, it's just a film, but this one goes way too far for that. I actually find it rather creepy someone would come up with it as a concept.

LaWeaselMys Sat 27-Nov-10 20:51:51

The BBFC considers the likelihood of scenes being copied when it rates films.

Since they haven't banned it, I'm happy to stand by them and say just don't watch it if you don't want to.

spidersandglue Sat 27-Nov-10 21:07:23

I would never watch it. However I'm concerned others would and be encouraged by it. I also think that we are becoming less and less sensitive to violence.
Only yesterday in the news a
pedophile ring in Cornwall was broken up.
To allow the release to me is as bad as saying this sort of appalling violence is ok.
We have to look out for the vulnerable!

daisy5678 Sat 27-Nov-10 21:10:01

Even if they don't show all of the scenes in it in full, graphic detail, the concepts themselves are too fucked up IMO.

PatFig Sat 27-Nov-10 21:12:53

This kind of thing is happening all the time.I didnt hear about the Cornwall pedo ring but the Derbyshire rape gang was on the news this week
welcome to the real world

Mumcentreplus Sat 27-Nov-10 21:13:00

It sounds like a deeply offensive movie from the reviews I have read... it's violence for violence sake coupled with perversion and depravity..<nice>...

LaWeaselMys Sat 27-Nov-10 21:14:13

I would also add, that I suspect a lot of individual towns and cinema chains may ban it/selectively choose not to show it.

And that a negative campaign usually just encourages more people to view, to see what they're missing.

If you want to campaign a town-by-town basis would probably be more successful.

Personally, like I've said the BBFC will have thought about this and scenes will have been cut.

Mumcentreplus Sat 27-Nov-10 21:14:39

The thing is that scenes and moments like this may have and may continue to happen in RL...but what you must ask yourself is should it be entertainment?

daisy5678 Sat 27-Nov-10 21:14:52

patfig welcome to the real world is quite depressing if you read the film synopsis. I don't think that the kind of thing that happens in the film is real life for most people; it's 'real life' for a very small, sick group of individuals, but mainstreaming it by putting it in a film seems very wrong and sad and almost ligitimises it.

newwave Sat 27-Nov-10 21:14:54

Dont want to watch it but I dont have the right to decide for other people so no ban

JaceyBee Sat 27-Nov-10 21:16:38

I have read the synopsis/reviews too and although I love horror I think I'll give this one a miss!

I don't agree with censorship though, anyone who feels they would be sickened and disturbed by seeing this film i.e most people will not be buying a ticket to go and see it. It will be VERY heavily cut too, the most cut movie in 16 years apparently.

I think the idea that rapists/murderers are 'encouraged' by violent films is a fallacy. People have always done atrocious things to each other. There is actually no hard empirical evidence to prove a causal relationship between watching violence and being encouraged to commit violent acts, it's probably more to do with the inherent misogyny in society as a whole.

And although this may not be the point, I think the film is actually supposed to be quite ironic. As in not,'wow look at how extreme we are' but more like 'wow, look atthe fucked up stuff you guys will watch'.

So YABU to try and get it banned because freedom of speech is too important. But YANBU not to watch it!

NeverArgueWithAnIdiot Sat 27-Nov-10 21:17:02

I would have thought such a distasteful film wouldn't need the censors to ban it. It is so obscene it will surely be self-limiting.
It's frightening to think that not only could someone devise such a film, but that a crew/actors/studio etc would sign up for the project.

spidersandglue Sat 27-Nov-10 21:18:57

I know this is the real world and it deeply saddens me and I don't want my dc to grow up in it like this. Sex trafficking is rife and with the help of social media I hope as mothers/humans we can raise awareness.

Unrulysun Sat 27-Nov-10 21:19:47

I could have gone the rest of my life without reading that synopsis. Mental note to self not to succumb to curiosity.

Mumcentreplus Sat 27-Nov-10 21:19:57

I really don't know...I'm usually all for free speech/expression but on this I'm just feeling sick..there has to be a point at which something is too much..I don't think this is even about expression anymore...just shock value..

Mumcentreplus Sat 27-Nov-10 21:22:19

but hey..knock yaself out if this is your cup of tea...in 10yrs who knows what the hell we will have the option to watch..

LaWeaselMys Sat 27-Nov-10 21:26:14

Have you read what happened when it was (finally) shown in Westminster? It had to be done as a private event to get around the council ban and even then council was copied in on the guest list!

It absolutely will be self-censoring, hardly anyone will see it.

I worry more about the attention the negative campaign will give them and how many people it will motivated to see what the fuss is, than I do about how it would go down with just the bbfc, councils and reviewers doing their level best to discourage people by making it very awkward to show the film.

PatFig Sat 27-Nov-10 21:28:19

givemesleepandsomerevenge

This happens more than you think and there are a lot of men out there who would do these things if they could get away with them

Why are people upset about films showing real life violence?
does the truth hurt?

look at all the other violent films that have done very well.Is violence ok if it made up

PatFig Sat 27-Nov-10 21:30:47

what about the public execution of Raoul Moat on television. How many thousands of people watched that live on tv?

StayFrosty Sat 27-Nov-10 21:31:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spidersandglue Sat 27-Nov-10 21:32:27

Not only am I still feeling sick after reading the synopsis I now feel dreadful that I've led you to read it unrulyson. I'm so sorry and I'm really sorry that I may have raised the films profile
Maybe mumsnet could delete this thread?!

Mumcentreplus Sat 27-Nov-10 21:33:27

I agree the negative campaign may fuel the fire and encourage people to view the film out of curiousity alone...

drfayray Sat 27-Nov-10 21:33:51

Snap Unrulysun.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: