Talk

Advanced search

not to like being bought flowers?

(14 Posts)
PamelaFlitton Sat 27-Nov-10 19:27:00

a. they are dead, and only look nice for a few days

b. they are overpriced expensive

DP thinks it is romantic to buy them, and of course it is lovely of him, but I just find them a bit depressing

Just me?

ItalianLady Sat 27-Nov-10 19:28:35

Probably not but you could say to him instead of him buying you flowers could he buy you X.

My DH buys me lovely flowers and they are never dead.

bumpsoon Sat 27-Nov-10 19:28:53

i like flowers ,well some flowers ,not those hideous fake colour roadside tribute type arrangements found at the local petrol station.

MakemineaGandT Sat 27-Nov-10 19:29:13

no - I know what you mean. They are very expensive and when I see them beginning to die (not long!) I just feel sad and disappointed....

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Sat 27-Nov-10 19:30:26

I know what you mean, they wilt so fast, seems a bit pointless

What other things would you like instead that would be relatively easy to find/buy and a similar price. If he knows what you like, I am sure he'd be happy to get that instead.

whoneedssleepanyway Sat 27-Nov-10 19:33:13

YABVU I would love someone to buy me flowers, DH has only ever bought me them once this year on our anniversary and I really really appreciated them they were beautiful.

nameymcnamechange Sat 27-Nov-10 19:36:23

YABU. How can you find flowers depressing?

rubyslippers Sat 27-Nov-10 19:37:14

What would you like him to buy you?

katkit Sat 27-Nov-10 19:39:41

i don't like the flower industry- grown in kenya, paying their workers slave wages, draining local lakes or water and killing wildlife.

mousymouse Sat 27-Nov-10 19:40:12

yanbu - I hate the way they start to smell after a couple of days [boak]
and they only last a very short time
flowers in season is a different matter, like lovely smelling roses in the summer but the artificial perfumed stuff in the flower shops...no thank you.

PamelaFlitton Sat 27-Nov-10 19:40:36

He doesn't need to buy me anything. Doing something fun together is much better.

PamelaFlitton Sat 27-Nov-10 19:41:05

But I don't want to hurt his feelings.

tyler80 Sat 27-Nov-10 19:42:52

YANBU

I've always told people I'd much prefer a plant to flowers.

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Sat 27-Nov-10 19:46:40

assuming it gives him pleasure to give you something which he imagines is pleasing to you, I would gently let it him know what kindof little gifts I do like. I don't think that would hurt his feelings. When he presents you with flowers, perhaps that would not be the right moment to say something but at other times, you could let him know what things you do like.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: