Talk

Advanced search

What is it with mobiles on a night out

(20 Posts)
Niceguy2 Sat 27-Nov-10 08:47:27

Had a few nights out recently. Haven't really done it much over the years because kids were young but now making up for it grin

But what is it nowadays with mobiles? I mean we're in the pub/club and my friends (and looking around others) are constantly tapping on phones. Presumably texting their BF/GF or posting on FB what a great night they're having.

Oh ditto with cameras. Every 2secs a photo is taken for later uploading to FB.

I mean come on. What happened to good old bopping the night away and talking to each other without distraction?

eclipse Sat 27-Nov-10 09:16:52

I agree. I've been known to ask people not to use their phone while we're at a table eating together. I have considered that they might be incredibly bored with my company, but I think for some people it's just become addictive to keep checking. It still suprises me to see people out walking whether in a couple or small group and they'll all be on their phones talking to other people. Very odd.

Snorbs Sat 27-Nov-10 09:25:21

Welcome to the Connected Generation. Events never happened unless you have at least half a dozen photos on Facebook and ten of your friends have "Like"d them. Bugs me, too.

On the other hand, many pubs and clubs these days are so sodding loud that the only way you can maintain a conversation with someone you're there with is by text message. And you can't get a decent pint, it's all bottles of something florescent.

Eeh, when I were young it were all fields round here...

Animation Sat 27-Nov-10 09:28:11

I think this compulsive checking has become addictive these days.

I'm wondering if checking MN is also addictive.

domesticslattern Sat 27-Nov-10 09:41:18

Recently I met up with an old friend of at least fifteen years, who I haven't seen for months. We had masses to catch up on- his new job, both of us having parents in hospital, holidays, his quite dramatic health problems etc.
However, we kept on being interrupted as his phone kept going as it sent him text messages everytime there was a tweet from eg Cheryl Kerl, Kim Kardashian etc. These text message alerts just the same as those from RL friends. Everytime he would stop the conversation to take out his phone to read the message, retweet it etc.
This man is nearly forty. YANBU.

ihatethecold Sat 27-Nov-10 10:24:36

i agree, i think its v.rude.. i can understand someone discretly checking if they had a babysitter or other drqma going on in their life, but why would you compulsively check your phone..?

Hammy02 Sat 27-Nov-10 10:27:50

Thankfully my friends don't do this and I can't believe anyone does it. I think it is so rude. Just put it in your mobile in your handbag and leave it there until the end of the night.

mummytoatribe Sat 27-Nov-10 11:49:32

It was my 12 week scan a few weeks back and DH and I sat in the waiting room transfixed by a couple opposite us. they were about our age (late 30's) and very well to do looking, and they spent the entire time they were waiting on their phones! They didnt appear to be working as occasionally one would laugh and show the other one something, they seemed to be IM. They barely spoke to each other at all unless it was to say "X says hello" or similar.

It was very odd. I cant help wondering if they are considering whether they can feed their baby via facebook!

MeowyChristmasEveryone Sat 27-Nov-10 11:56:16

Mummytoatribe,

Surely, it was just an entertaining way of passing time whilst waiting for an appointment. It's not really any different to them both sitting reading a book or magazine.

During a meal, yes, it's not good, but I also have Kindle book Thimbu on my phone, so can appear to be obsessing with my phone when actually I'm halfway through Pride & Prejudice again.

MeowyChristmasEveryone Sat 27-Nov-10 11:57:13

Thimbu was thingy when I originally typed it. blush

IloveJudgeJudy Sat 27-Nov-10 12:03:05

I was out on a do last night and I couldn't believe it, either. People were texting each other from table to table. Why didn't they just move and go and speak to the other person? Are we losing the power of speech?

IciclesGraceArchways Sat 27-Nov-10 12:10:22

Yes! It's 7 years since I last worked in an office but, even then, people emailed each other instead of walking 10ft to actually speak.

Umm ... so did I blush And I talk far more on mumsnet than I do in real life.

How can I tell I haven't turned into a cyber-Grace? Any ideas??

Kitta Sat 27-Nov-10 13:31:19

Our team is considered a bit odd at work because we don't IM each other we actually talk. . unless we’re bitching.

I fucking hate the whole phone checking thing when you’re out fine if you have kids and get a call, it might be the babysitter, but texts and tweeting and facebook, it’s just bloody rude.

bossyboop Sat 27-Nov-10 13:51:23

this is something that annoys me massively, just put them away!

Snorbs Sat 27-Nov-10 15:11:18

Last I worked in an office then unless it was something urgent or that would benefit from an actual discussion then we did tend to use email. The reason being that if the recipient was busy they could ignore the email until they had a free moment to answer it. Somebody turning up at your desk creates more of an interruption and if you were doing something technical and intricate it could be a real distraction.

BaroqinAroundTheChristmasTree Sat 27-Nov-10 15:14:29

cameras on nights out aren't new!!!

Joolyjoolyjoo Sat 27-Nov-10 15:18:59

I was on a crowded train the other day, for the first time in ages. I noticed how almost everyone on the train had a mobile out and were tapping away. I was just thinking how people seemed to need to be fiddling with their phones all the time, and how I never really understood it when ..my phone rang blush

LadyThumb Sat 27-Nov-10 15:27:51

My friend does this when she comes over for coffee. She gets lots of messages and even if I'm in the middle of a sentence she jumps up to answer her phone, reads texts, giggles at the contents, answers them...............by which time I've lost the thread of the conversation we were having in RL. It annoys me intensely!!!

Niceguy2 Sun 28-Nov-10 09:43:45

>>>cameras on nights out aren't new!!!<<<
No they're not but I guess with the advent of digital cameras which slip in your pocket we can now take 500 photos in a night as opposed to the olden days where you wouldn't take your real camera because of the size/cost so would make do with a crappy disposable.

Plus now people have cameraphones so they will take a photo and upload to FB whilst they are having a "great time" at the club.

I mean seriously!?!?!?

I'm addicted to my iPhone. Ask my GF who hates the fact I even take it to bed. But I draw the line at the dancefloor!

diddl Sun 28-Nov-10 10:05:43

I think it´s really rude.

Unless so loud that´s how they are communicating with the people that they are withgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now