Talk

Advanced search

To mind a bit about this

(19 Posts)
Timeforanap Fri 26-Nov-10 23:39:35

Okay, so, lovely friend asked me and another friend over for lunch, with our children. Lunch all lovely, but then she spends ages showing other friend photos of when they went away together. I felt a bit sad not to be asked in the first place, felt like it was rubbing it in to have to sit there while they admired the photos. Did my best to sound happy and enthusiastic...

CurlyhairedAssassin Fri 26-Nov-10 23:41:09

Was a bit thoughtless. I would have said loudly "Looks lovely - wish I'd have been there/done that."

classydiva Fri 26-Nov-10 23:41:53

Definately not something they should have done whilst you were there, somewhat lacking in the manners department.

ChippingIn Fri 26-Nov-10 23:43:43

How bloody rude!!

You should have said 'It looks like you had a great time, was there any specific reason you didn't invite me?'

Of course I would have done what you did though grin

LoopyLoops Fri 26-Nov-10 23:50:15

How rude!

No, YANBU. Rude, insensitive cows.

Any idea why they didn't invite you?

Losers.

Timeforanap Sat 27-Nov-10 00:10:03

Smiling now! Thanks for that!

InPraiseOfBacchus Sat 27-Nov-10 09:00:47

I'm sorry, but I don't see the problem here. I would have been interested to see the pictures, and happy they didn't see the need to tread on eggshells around me regarding their activities, since I was a mother. I don't see why I should expect people to pretend they don't so anything with their time just because I can't do quite as much. YABU to assume they were doing it just to rub your nose in it.

saffy85 Sat 27-Nov-10 09:03:09

YANBU how rude of them and incredibly dull for you. I'd have switched the telly on myself, out of boredom.

Frazzledmumwithsmudgedmascara Sat 27-Nov-10 10:50:20

OP, I know exactly where you're coming from and YANBU feeling a bit miffed about it all.

I had a similar experience recently; a friend who lives a couple of hours away asked me to meet for shopping in a city that's between both our towns, so an hours' journey for us both. On the day, she brought a friend with her, and they spent the whole time talking about a holiday they have booked together, day trips they're going on with their DHs and kids, and just generally chatting amongst themselves in conversations that I wasn't included in. Bloody rude if you ask me!

ChippingIn Sun 28-Nov-10 10:56:58

InPraiseOfBacchus - what does being a mother have to do with it? The others are mothers too. Very odd comment to make.

Frazzled - that was bloody rude as well. Where do some people get their manners & commn sense from? (nowhere apparently!).

Timeforanap Wed 01-Dec-10 00:23:01

Frazzled - yours is worse! You'd had to travel an hour to meet a friend who brought someone else with her...so rude and inconsiderate.

MrManager Wed 01-Dec-10 00:33:41

You are an adult, aren't you? Are you all sniffly because your bestest fwiend played wiff someone else?

Yeah, that was a bit trollish, sorry. But come on, they went on holiday, and then they looked at the pictures together. Sounds like pretty much everyone who's ever gone on holiday together.

Be thankful that they invited you along, and don't take it so personally.

spidookly Wed 01-Dec-10 00:40:10

How nice of them to make sure you were quite clear about the pecking order.

Are you sure the word "lovely" applies?

MerrilyDefective Wed 01-Dec-10 00:40:32

You're not MrManners are you.
When you go out with a friend or invite a friend round for lunch you usually try to make said friend comfortable.
You don't usually exclude them from a large part of the conversation.

MrManager Wed 01-Dec-10 00:46:51

Holiday photos are a great starting point for a conversation. Who doesn't like reminiscing about a holiday? If the OP felt left out, then she has, at least in part, herself to blame.

MerrilyDefective Wed 01-Dec-10 00:52:49

Read the op.
It wasn't a starting conversation.

Always rude to leave someone out.

Why is she to blame for not going on the holiday?

MrManager Wed 01-Dec-10 00:56:41

The OP felt that she wasn't involved, the other friends didn't tell her to get lost.

She could have made conversation about the holiday, or since this was after lunch, not during, she could have made her excuses and left.

booyhohoho Wed 01-Dec-10 01:04:16

I am with OP. i think it was very rude, and i have to say, IME quite a bitchy thing to do. who instigated the photo showing or holiday conversation? i was out once with my best friend and a girl who i had only met once but best friend had met a few times through her DH. the other girl had her camera with her and had been taking photos since the night began. when we were in teh club, sitting down for a drink i was between teh two of them and this girl takes out her camera, leans across me and holds the camera so i couldn't see and starts showing BF the photos. i was having a shit night anyway and had just split from EXp so was really emotional and i had to get up and go to the loo before bursting into tears but i know this was plain bitchiness from the girl.

Timeforanap Wed 01-Dec-10 01:16:12

MrManager "...She could have made conversation about the holiday, or since this was after lunch, not during, she could have made her excuses and left."

Mmm, option b) a little primadonnaish, dontcha think?! Went with option a), as I said in the first place.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: