Talk

Advanced search

AIBU - nerf machine gun

(27 Posts)
KernowMother Fri 26-Nov-10 18:54:50

The only thing my 7yo DS would like for Christmas is the Nerf machine gun hmm

Husband says I am being a 'bleeding heart liberal', I feel it's horrible.

Really need some input on this one ... is anyone else in the same position?

ENormaSnob Fri 26-Nov-10 18:55:52

Yabu

it's a toy

MitchyInge Fri 26-Nov-10 18:58:52

ya probably bu

shooting is a useful skill AND a sport

anyway we have some nerf guns and they are fun, except for trying to round up all the cartridges before the dog chews them

WherecanIhide Fri 26-Nov-10 19:00:43

My 12 year old has 3 Nerf guns. I HATE them but he still plays with them. I also hate the click-clack noise as he dismantles it and put it back together again/load it with the stupid orange foamy bullets/fires bullets. He is asking for a BB gun now but I won't buy one. x

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Fri 26-Nov-10 19:03:31

We have a house full of them - is your objection to the mess (those bullets get EVERYWHERE!) or ideological. If the latter, YABU - my DC are the loveliest gentlest, most compassionate & empathetic people imaginable in real life - in games, they most like shooting guns.

MitchyInge Fri 26-Nov-10 19:06:57

in fact I think you should get him an airgun and shoot some rabbits together - my 11yo loves this (she is made of slightly more robust stuff than me though)

2shoes Fri 26-Nov-10 19:07:15

yabu
it looks like the kind if thing a child would love

Itsjustafleshwound Fri 26-Nov-10 19:08:38

I'm kind of with you on this issue that I don't think any replica gun is a suitable toy.

But:

- It depends on the child (maturity)
- Saying 'No' and finding reasons why he can't have it is difficult. My SIL was really anti-any guns, and found it really hard to implement the policy of 'non-violence'

DramaInPyjamas Fri 26-Nov-10 19:10:42

Got my son a Nerf Gun (not the one linked though) for Christmas - YABU, I can't wait for a go on it.

KernowMother Fri 26-Nov-10 19:12:25

Thanks everyone, not long had DC3 and still all hormonal, protective and sensitive ... hence why I posted hear for voices of reason.

Objection was/is ideological, but can see that it is a toy, shooting is a sport (have shot clays myself in the past with some friends) and he will/would bloody well love it.

Thanks

MitchyInge Fri 26-Nov-10 19:14:52

And he will love YOU for it!

Dexterrocks Fri 26-Nov-10 19:28:46

My ds (aged 6) wants one too. I hate them on principal but have to admit I had cap guns as a child which I loved and still remember fondly yet grew up to be a vegetarian and a pacifist. How mental is that?
Despite this, I am a hypocrite and my ds will not be getting one. He is not empathetic and needs to learn a bit more compassion before we "arm" him.

ragged Fri 26-Nov-10 19:30:08

Nerf guns are tolerable, I draw the line at cap guns, BB guns, and anything that resembles a real gun (at a glance). You have to choose your battles!

ragged Fri 26-Nov-10 19:31:03

Oh, but YANBU if you want to avoid it on Value for Money grounds alone. They are amazingly overpriced toys.

ragged Fri 26-Nov-10 19:31:21

And don't forget to buy a spare back of bullets (sigh).

NeverEatYellowTaintedSnow Fri 26-Nov-10 19:34:06

YANBU. I really don't consider guns to be suitable toys tbh. Sorry, I realise I'm disagreeing with the majority on here, but JMO.

MitchyInge Fri 26-Nov-10 19:35:48

not even water pistols?

MitchyInge Fri 26-Nov-10 19:36:51

wish it was summer and we could play with the super soaker thing

how long until summer?

TheLogLady Fri 26-Nov-10 19:38:34

nope.YANBU. don't do guns in any way shape or form. give me v bad vibes indeed.

note water pistols, supr soakers or nerfs. make me shuddder.

Takver Fri 26-Nov-10 19:38:43

Slightly OT, but have you noticed that the reviews on your link are pretty dreadful, and say that it breaks really quickly.

Takver Fri 26-Nov-10 19:39:24

(Might have more success with your DH as an argument, by the sound of it!)

ragged Fri 26-Nov-10 19:41:01

Ooh! There was another thread about this, Xmas section, and the Vulcan was dissed there quite badly.

ampere Fri 26-Nov-10 19:42:35

Oh I am so pleased at the number of you who also feel that, at the end of the day, YABU. I actually don't feel you are being 'unreasonable' at all, but the mere fact you 'suffer' twinges of feeling that a GUN as a toy is unsuitable is the the key to the fact you will educate your DCs to be able to recognise the difference between what real guns can do and what the joy of 'throwing a rock and hitting something' feels like to the caveman inside most of us!

DH was much more convinced than I was that gun-toys were baaad- I am perhaps the more realistic of us, with 2 boys aged 9 and 11, but it was he who suddenly bought two Nerf guns for them, off ebay, 6 months ago! They love them.

The house rules are based on never firing at close range and never aiming at faces. When they have their close friends around for a Nerf war, I insist on eye protection (just wrap-around protective eye gear you can pick up cheaply on ebay- or even swim goggles!) plus I, at regular intervals, casually introduce into conversation that I don't wholly approve of guns as toys! In that way they learn that it is possible to tolerate something one doesn't approve of, and I get hours of peace while they blast the bejeezus out of each other!

Result.

IS there a 'bad mummy' emoticon?! grin

ampere Fri 26-Nov-10 19:46:29

And since I posted, I note dissent! Which is of course fair enough.

I held out for years, but by the time DS1 was about 8 or so, the tide was so heavily turned against my 'objection', bearing in mind even the mildest DS game modern boys play involve a degree of shoot 'em up, don't they?- meant it was better for me to allow it, with caveats!

KernowMother Fri 26-Nov-10 19:53:46

Thanks Ragged, that is very helpful!

Thanks everyone, very helpful indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now