Talk

Advanced search

AIBU To Still Bath My DDs?

(18 Posts)
LeQueen Fri 26-Nov-10 14:13:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

winnybella Fri 26-Nov-10 14:15:35

I think you should do what you want here. DS has been taking showers by himself for the last couple of years, but he wanted to be a 'big boy'.

Sounds very sweet smile

AgentZigzag Fri 26-Nov-10 14:21:06

DD1 was 8 when I first started encouraging her to do parts of it herself.

Now she's 10 it only takes her the best part of an hour to have a bath and wash her hair hmm grin

LeQueen Fri 26-Nov-10 14:23:15

AgentZigzag Fri 26-Nov-10 14:25:49

The bits and bobs they do now will just build on each other.

I used to enjoy giving DD1 a bath, but it's fantastic to just be able to tell her 'it's time for a bath off you pop' grin

begonyabampot Fri 26-Nov-10 14:30:39

was wondering about this myself. Ds1 (8yr) has just started showering himself - sometimes you forget that things have to change at some point and just carry on regardless. Have also just started to let Ds1 and Ds2 (5yr) start choosing what to wear for the day (interesting combinations) - again had just never thought about unless i'm a bit of a control freak!

Question - re toothbrushing - what age did you let your kids start brushing their own teeth (bit anal about this as I want them to do it right)?

Sidge Fri 26-Nov-10 14:31:01

I think YANBU.

I bathe my 2 younger ones (6.9 and 4.2) and love doing it, it's a nice way to end the day for me especially when I've been at work. I love making them all clean and sweet smelling (especially DD3 who's a right muckbucket) then having cuddles and stories.

Mind you I'll be bathing DD2 for some time I think as she's disabled and has SN so I'm sure the novelty will wear off when I'm trying to wrestle a sweaty smelly teenager under the shower grin

pagwatch Fri 26-Nov-10 14:32:42

Ah sidge I tried wrestling. Then I discovered threats and bribery. It works ( admires fragrant ds)

AgentZigzag Fri 26-Nov-10 14:33:09

I heard, from whoever 'they' are begony, that brushing their own teeth and crossing the road are when they're about 10, although it obviously will be different with each DC.

fedupofnamechanging Fri 26-Nov-10 14:36:12

I still wash my 10 and 9 year olds hair. My 10 year old can do it himself really, but I like to check they've rinsed all the shampoo out properly. They also need gentle reminders to wash behind ears/back of neck/between toes. They do dry themselves though. My DCs like chatting to me while they are in the bath, so I don't think you are too unusual in giving them a helping hand.

Be careful though or you'll end up with a 13 year old like my oldest DS who won't do anything for himself if he can possibly get someone else to do it. Am gradually getting him to put his own clean, ironed clothes away and periodically make himself a slice of toast!

GrimmaTheNome Fri 26-Nov-10 14:36:58

I still wash my DDs hair - she's 11. She showers herself after swimming with her friends but her long, wavy hair always ends up a rats' nest (position of apostrophe deliberate grin).

When her hair is done I leave her to get on with the rest but she still likes me to come at the end to drape a bathsheet round her and give a big 'towelly hug'.

I'm sure it won't be long before the bathroom door is firmly locked so I may as well enjoy this till the end of childhood.

mousymouse Fri 26-Nov-10 14:37:36

enjoy the time while they still want a cuddle

GrimmaTheNome Fri 26-Nov-10 14:38:57

She's been brushing her own teeth for a few years though, last xmas an electric toothbrush with timer meant no standing over her at all required.

TigerFeet Fri 26-Nov-10 14:41:30

DD1 is 6.5 and does most of it herself, but I do supervise washing and then tip a couple of jugs of warm water over her head before she gets out to make sure she's soap free. Not every night though, more like every other night.

She usually has a bath with 14mo DD2 so I can keep an eye on her whilst appearing to be fussing over the baby.

We still like towelly cuddles too

LeQueen Fri 26-Nov-10 14:57:40

MoreCrackThanHarlem Fri 26-Nov-10 15:14:07

I still 'bath' 9yo dd and closely supervise teeth brushing.
It's not that she can't do it, though she does struggle with her long, thick hair, I just find it's a nice time for a chat before bed.
I have been worrying about this recently too- but I suppose she will let me know when she wants me out of the bathroom.

I still sometimes wrap her in a warm towel too blush

expatinscotland Fri 26-Nov-10 15:15:53

YANBU. I do this for 7-year-old DD1 and 5-year-old DD2.

DD1 is very dyspraxic, it will be awhile before she can manage her long, thick hair herself.

I supervise teeth brushing, too.

My mother didn't and I have horrid teeth.

Litchick Fri 26-Nov-10 15:19:04

My children are eleven and although I don't actively do anyhting they often ask me to join them in the bathroom to chat, read to them, pass a towel.

I will continue as long as my presense is requested.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: