Talk

Advanced search

etiquette on childminding issues

(10 Posts)
trixie123 Fri 26-Nov-10 10:32:31

need some other views on this one. DS goes to Childminder A for a fairly cheap rate (thats just what she charges). She wanted to leave him elsewhere for a couple of hours next week so she could go to a funeral (not a close relative or anything I think) and I said fine but the only option was a friend's childminder who charges significantly more. Who should pay the difference in cost? Childminder B seems to think I should and not CM A. I dont see why. CM A has now said she wont bother going and I seem to have pissed off both of them. Any input on this greatly appreciated.

nomoreheels Fri 26-Nov-10 10:38:02

She could have just told you she was ill and you would have had to make alternate arrangements yourself.

I don't see why she should she be out of pocket for your child care. And you give the impression of being a bit judgemental about the funeral by saying "it's not a close relative".

Do you have a signed contract of terms and conditions? What would you do when she was on holiday?

If she is generally very cheap then you should hopefully be able to afford the odd situation like this where you'll need to pay more.

JodiesMummy Fri 26-Nov-10 10:38:37

YOU are responsible for YOUR childs care expenses.

dreamingofsun Fri 26-Nov-10 10:38:50

your contract is with childminder A so strictly speaking you should pay her rate. But does it specify anything in your contract about these type of situations? from her perspective she's taken the initiative and sorted our your childcare so you didn't have to take time off work. i would consider what the difference is and how much i wanted to keep the childminder.

my old one was great and we both exercised a bit of give and take. my priority was that i could work and my DS had somewhere good to go

curlymama Fri 26-Nov-10 10:39:10

I guess it would depend on what it says in your contract, you should have a contract that addresses these sorts of things.

I think that Childminder A should pay, after all it's her that wants time off. But, as it's a funeral, and if you are usually very happy with her, could you offer to split the difference? Just in the interests of harmony and being an understanding boss to the person that cares for your child? It can't be much money just for a couple of hours.

CocoPopsAddict Fri 26-Nov-10 10:40:57

You should read your post back, Trixie. You really expect your childminder to pay extra so she can have time off to attend a funeral? What century are we in?!

JodiesMummy Fri 26-Nov-10 10:41:59

If your childminder (god forbid) HAD lost a close relative and flatly refused to miss the funeral - you would have to make other arrangements and probably be out of pocket. YABVVVU.

Quenelle Fri 26-Nov-10 10:42:15

Assuming your CM's T&Cs are the same as my CM's, if CMA is not available for work then you don't owe her any fees, and you have to find alternative childcare. She has found an alternative for you, unlucky for you CMB is more expensive.

You could find your own (cheaper) alternative childcare if you prefer.

frakkinup Fri 26-Nov-10 10:44:32

Agree with Quenelle - your CM is not available for work so you shouldn't pay her. That means you need an alternative, who you should pay for their time at their rate.

trixie123 Fri 26-Nov-10 10:47:07

thanks - i appreciate it. I do agree that the fact that it is a funeral should perhaps trump other issues and we are not talking a huge amount. I think I handled it a bit badly and do feel crap now. Good relations ar worth more than a few quid - MN can be great for stuff like this. thanks again

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: