Talk

Advanced search

to wonder what this nursery worker is on about?

(16 Posts)
sparkleandfade Thu 25-Nov-10 21:03:54

DD1 has been going to the same nursery for 2 years. I now have 4 month old DD2 who is usually with me in her pram when I pick up/drop off DD1.

Now, often at drop off when I am helping DD1 remove coat/bag and giving her a hug DD2 will have a little whinge whilst I am out of sight (not a cry, just a little whingy noise). This nusery worker who answers the door to us almost every day will usually say something along the lines of "Oh dear, is she hungry/does she need feeding" usually directed at DD1. This always makes me think, "It's 9 in the morning, do you think I've left the house without feeding my baby" confused but I let it go as people tend to say these things just for something to say and she is just engaging DD1 in conversation about her little sister.

Today though, this nursery worker answered when I went to pick up DD1 and whilst DD1 was getting coat on etc she said "Do you think your sister is awake or asleep?" DD1 said "Awake" and nursery worker said "Do you think shes been fed today?" DD1 ignored this one.

Now, I was doubly confused at this comment! I mean what is she on about? Does she think that by 1 in the afternoon I may not have got around to feeding my baby yet? Surely this isn't the kind of thing that you just say to make conversation? I know this is long but I am genuinely wondering why on earth she said this!

Just to add, I hate in general the way random people feel the need to tell you why your baby is making noise, "Oh she's tired/hungry/teething" hmm like you know! I always want to say "Maybe she just doesn't like you gawking at her" grin

rubyslippers Thu 25-Nov-10 21:06:11

She making conversation

I think you are majorly over thinking it

Tiny babies generally cry because they Are hungry or tired

anotherreallyithinknot Thu 25-Nov-10 21:07:28

tbh....if she says anything like that again I would say "oh no...I never feed them on Nursery day...isnt that your job".......<<<tongue heavily in cheek>>>

What a stupid comment....some peeps havent a clue

OP yanbu

LadyViper Thu 25-Nov-10 21:08:16

I think that is an odd thing to say, but maybe she's just a bit odd.

SlightlyTubbyHali Thu 25-Nov-10 21:08:49

I think you're overthinking this. She's just trying to talk to your DD1 about her baby. I used to say the same sort of things to my DD1 when her sister was born. It was just something she could easily talk about and it helped her feel involved.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Thu 25-Nov-10 21:09:11

She was just engaging your DD1 in converstaion and it is the sort of thing that a child of her age would understand and be able to make sense of. I think that YABU and a wee bit sensitive too.

rubyslippers Thu 25-Nov-10 21:09:22

She is asking sweet questions that Your other DD can answer by the sounds of it

Rosebud05 Thu 25-Nov-10 21:09:40

Are you feeling a little fraught and sleep deprived at the moment? grin

DancingThroughLife Thu 25-Nov-10 21:11:23

I think the second bit YA prob a little U. It's only a harmless, don't-know-what-else-to-say conversation filler. I know a lot of people don't want a crying baby to go unacknowledged (word?), but not in a way that screams 'shut the baby up'.

But I'd find the first bit odd too. Why would she ask a child who hadn't been there all day, who probably has little concept of the intricacies of home life while they're not around. Or maybe I'm overthinking it with you smile

Weird nursery worker.

MerryMarigold Thu 25-Nov-10 21:11:28

YABU and a bit oversensitive. It is the thought of thing you say as a little joke to engage a child in coversation.

AgentZigzag Thu 25-Nov-10 21:11:58

Going through a list to find out what's making a baby cry is a pretty normal thing, she's just saying it out loud.

She probably says lots of things to lots of people over the week, so you can't really take what she says as a personal criticism.

I overthink stuff smile but I think in this case she'd be calling SS if she really thought your baby wasn't being fed.

If your DD2 is like mine, I bet she's got gorgeous chubby cheeks and doesn't look a bit like you're neglecting her every need grin

MerryMarigold Thu 25-Nov-10 21:11:59

I have a lisp! I mean, it's the *sort* of thing you say as a little joke!

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 25-Nov-10 21:13:27

I think if it was one comment you might be being sensitive, but as it's happened many times, I don't. I'd feel the same way, I think.

Would you feel comfortable asking her what makes her think you haven't fed her?

sparkleandfade Thu 25-Nov-10 21:13:55

Thanks anotherreallyithinknot I think it is just a stupid comment! I probably am giving too much thought to it, but the tone most definitely implied and refered to the fact she is often whingy at drop off.
I also think its because these kind of comments annoy me in general grin

sparkleandfade Thu 25-Nov-10 21:18:12

DancingThroughLife you made me laugh smile I wish she'd fill the conversation with comments about the weather like the rest of the staff! And yes AgentZigzag lovely chubby cheeks grin

linziluv Thu 25-Nov-10 21:19:40

I see it like this, she made light hearted comment about whether baby was hungry, and by asking DD she was merely referring back to the in "joke"...and it wasn't like crying for hunger was far fetched...would empathize if she'd said "aww, is mummy beating baby up?"...lol
You are defo over thinking this, and that's coming from someone who usually reads into everything!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: