Talk

Advanced search

to feel extremly pissed off with school or AIBU?

(76 Posts)
Ladyanonymous Thu 25-Nov-10 17:25:27

Kitted 3 kids out with full brand new school uniforms this Sep.

For the main everyday uniform followed it to the letter buying all the jumpers with school emblem on, correct colour trousers, skirts, shirts, trousers, shoes and ties.

Bought all the correct PE T-Shirts (and rugby shirts) with school emblem on.

Bought DS1 "correct" school navy shorts for PE and plain navy blue socks and navy blue trakkie bottoms both of which are not from the uniform shop apparently are not allowed.

DS1 has been told if he does not have the correct gear by next week he will get a detention and was made to do PE in his shorts and t-shirt today outside angry

AIBU to feel pissed off he was made to do it in the freezing cold in a t-shirt and shorts when its 0 degrees here today and pissed off that what I have provided is only PE kit and is the same as the school stuff just half the price.

Where do I stand here and AIBU?

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 25-Nov-10 17:27:24

I would take it up with the teacher - sounds bizarre to send children out ill-equipped for the cold! FGS it is just PE!!

If you don't mind me asking, is this a private school??

Ladyanonymous Thu 25-Nov-10 17:28:08

No - its a state secondary!

Galena Thu 25-Nov-10 17:28:29

What age? Primary school uniform is not enforcable, secondary is.

However, a teacher that makes a child do pe in shorts and t-shirt in this weather needs their head read!

saffy85 Thu 25-Nov-10 17:30:48

YANBU I would go apeshit. I hate this attitude that some schools have. Ofcourse uniform is important but is it that important a person, any person, has to go outside in shorts and t shirt in freezing temperatures? Also don't think it's fair to punish children because their parents haven't got them the correct uniform for whatever reason. Hardly the child's fault.

Hawkmoth Thu 25-Nov-10 17:38:06

Speak to the governors about affordability of uniforms. I think it's stupidity for uniform shops to have a monopoly, and wonder what the schools get out of it....

Sarsaparilllla Thu 25-Nov-10 17:40:13

I would be livid, that's ridiculous

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 25-Nov-10 17:40:49

Here

According to this, the school have no leg to stand on - kit has to be uniform and affordable!!!

peeringintothevoid Thu 25-Nov-10 17:45:20

YANBU!

mnistooaddictive Thu 25-Nov-10 17:46:59

I hate rules like this. AS long as it is the same colour and doesn't stand out hugely why does it matter? Some teachers get a bit power mad about uniform (am teacher before flaming!)

Ladyanonymous Thu 25-Nov-10 17:59:56

Typical PE teacher IMO...bloody barbaric.

santasbluebaubles Thu 25-Nov-10 18:04:44

Absolutely out of order to send a child out wearing shorts and t-shirt when it's this cold. That's definitely worth a complaint.

Vallhala Thu 25-Nov-10 18:05:43

YANBU and I would go in all guns blazing at the school.

The law on this is on your side, to say nothing of the moral issue.

NonnoMum Thu 25-Nov-10 18:09:50

Michael Gove would be delighted with this school, and thinks that parents like you who fail to comply with the system should expect your children to a life of misery in the workhouse.

(But personally I think it is disgraceful: letter to teacher, head of department, head and governors.)

SkyBluePearl Thu 25-Nov-10 18:13:33

Thats not acceptable - ring the head of PE and say you are not buying new kit and that if he makes your son do PE in shorts you will ring the head and make a formal complaint.

lborolass Thu 25-Nov-10 18:13:43

I don't think going in with "all guns blazing" is ever the best first tactic but I would certainly be ringing the school to confirm the facts and then complaining in the strongest terms if true.

lisad123isgoingcrazy Thu 25-Nov-10 18:16:38

how on earth do they know it wasnt brought from school then?

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 25-Nov-10 18:25:20

That's PE Teachers for you. I've not had many positive experiences. Mine were mostly sadistic at the best of times.

I can't believe that given that he had something warm and the right colour, he wasn't 'allowed' to wear it but made, instead, to do it t-shirt and shorts in this weather.

I still can't get my head around why teachers make kids do detention for things like this. It's not like your son is responsible for what you bought (not that I think, from what you've said, there's anything wrong with what you've bought - I'd've probably done the same).

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 25-Nov-10 18:26:18

Oh - and a letter to the local newspaper?

grin

littlefishexpat Thu 25-Nov-10 18:29:07

To make a child do P.E. outside in shorts and a t-shirt is inappropriate.

However, I think you're being a tiny bit unreasonable in that it's the last week in November. Surely they have talked to you or your son about this uniform problem in the last 3 months? If this is the first time they have mentioned it then, yes, they are BU. But if you already knew they had a problem with it then you should have dealt with the situation before it got to this point.

ENormaSnob Thu 25-Nov-10 18:29:43

Yanbu

Ladyanonymous Thu 25-Nov-10 18:32:09

Just looked at the uniform policy on the website and it says navy takkiw bottoms and navy socks does not specify anything else hmm

Ladyanonymous Thu 25-Nov-10 18:32:35

Trakkie sorry

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 25-Nov-10 18:34:35

Looks like you can expect an apology, then

pointythings Thu 25-Nov-10 19:08:26

YANBU, a lot of state schools use parents like cash cows. You can bet the school gets kickbacks from the uniform suppliers. The previous government wouldn't put in hard and fast rules about exclusive supplier deals, this lot are definitely not going to do anything about it either (although it is in fact against the principles of capitalism and market forces as it stifles competition and the free market hmm.
From the quote on your school's website you should definitely get an apology and a formal complaint is in order, especially given the weather. My older DDs school is very single supplier and logo happy but they do at least allow generic tracksuits as long as they're navy or black.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now