Talk

Advanced search

to be thinking about putting my 17 month old in a big bed

(14 Posts)
whoneedssleepanyway Thu 25-Nov-10 09:49:13

Put this in AIBU as hoping for quite a few opinions...

My DDs share a room and DD1 (nearly 4) needed a full size bed as was bursting out of the converted cot-bed, we bought bunk beds as there would be no room for 2 beds in there once DD2 needs a proper bed. The thing is with the bunks beds and the cot and the other furniture the room is quite squashed so would like to get rid of the cot so I can rearrange things just not sure about DD2 going into a bed at this age.

DD2 has never been a brilliant sleeper so it isn't like i am going to lose out on that front but am just a bit worried about her either getting in and out and bedtime being a total nightmare or her trying to get up to the top bunk. Also DD1 has gone on bottom for now but am worrying about her getting down to do a wee in the night if she is on the top.

Any thoughts?

PaisleyLeaf Thu 25-Nov-10 09:51:07

Nothing wrong with putting the 17 mth old in the bottom bunk (I never bothered with a toddler bed either).
Not sure about a 4 yr old in the top bunk though.

whoneedssleepanyway Thu 25-Nov-10 09:53:16

i know i am worrying about that too..she couldn't fall out it has a really good sturdy high guard along we made sure of that, it is just the getting out in the night....i think they say 5 years for top bunk but i thought maybe they were erring on the side of caution.

JuicyLips Thu 25-Nov-10 10:03:31

my 4.5 ds has just gone into a bed that is high as it can have a bed undeneath so essentially is a bunk bed and seems fine climbing up and down so far. I suppose the only way of knowing is to give it a trial run and if it doesnt work put the cot back in, even if it isnt ideal.

tomhardyismydh Thu 25-Nov-10 10:07:32

sounds fine dd was in a single bed at that age. I didnt do the small size either.

imo 4 yrs ok in top bunk.

FindingMyMojo Thu 25-Nov-10 10:15:35

DD went into single bed at about 15 months - when by freak chance I saw her spin out of cot head first to the floor!! I thought we had another 6 months in the cot (it was full sized & she is average height), but she managed to flip herself out of it at a very young age - thankfully my arms shot out & I caught her (cot was next to my bed). We went to IKEA & brought an extendable single bed that very day.

notso Thu 25-Nov-10 10:18:44

Both will be fine. My DD asked to sleep in a single bed at 14 months and never looked back. She moved to a cabin bed at 4.5 to create more space and never had any problems.

I did get concussion falling out of the top bunk once but I was 17 and drunk, not something you will have to consider with you DD1!grin

sobloodystupid Thu 25-Nov-10 10:26:24

Ds aged 21 months sleeps in a single bed with bed guards. He also sleeps in a grobag which curtails activity!

BuntyPenfold Thu 25-Nov-10 10:32:00

I had to put DS in a bed at that age as he could leap out of the cot.

whoneedssleepanyway Thu 25-Nov-10 12:50:42

Thanks all, think we will just go for it then, I think I will give DD1 a couple of weeks on the bottom bunk just to get used to the new bed and then move her up to the top (she can't wait) and put DD2 on the bottom, may keep her in a grow bag as well to try and minimise movement! We will see what happens I guess!

APixieInMyTea Thu 25-Nov-10 12:56:23

Thinking the same thing about 19month old.

The 10week old is so uncomfortable in his Moses basket now I really could do with his brothers cot to put him in. (we co-sleep most nights but naps and spends first part of night in basket so he's out of way of toddler)

Toddler still moves around a lot in his sleep though so a bit worried tbh.

Let me know how it goes if you do do it.

ballstoit Thu 25-Nov-10 13:14:54

DSS1 was in a top bunk at 3, we couldnt fit 2 beds in the room he shared with DSS2 and between them they had pulled the side off the cot!

Never had any problems with him getting in and out at night, but they did have a night light on all the time so at least he could see what he was doing.

DD1 is going in to the top bunk during Feb half term, she'll be 3 and 10 months. It would be sooner except that I cant afford bunk beds until then. There just isnt room in the box room for a bed and a cot and DD2 (17 months) needs to move out of my room, so we can both get a better nights sleep.

Oldjolyon Thu 25-Nov-10 14:19:39

What age is the top bunk suitable from? With my beds, we had a shorter bunk bed, and it was suitable from 4 years old. We also had a trundle bed underneath the bed, and I just used to pull that out of a nighttime, it then protected both Dd1 and DD2 incase they fell. Could you not get a mattress to put under the bed? After all, it will come in handy for sleepovers in a couple of years.

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Thu 25-Nov-10 14:23:41

yanbu, my ds was in a bed at 16mnths, dd however is a real pita and anything surrounding bedtime is chaos.

recently weve been staying at my mums, dd shimmyed out of her cot and up the ladder to my sisters high sleeper spent the night there and came down when i went in the morning, i was horrified shed been so high all night, but now im not so concerned about getting ds a bunk bed, dd just turned two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now