Talk

Advanced search

to hate cricket?

(46 Posts)
CuddlyNotFat Wed 24-Nov-10 23:12:24

DH has just announced that he's going to spend the night in the sitting room so he can watch the Ashes.
I will be cold all by myself in bed.
Bloody cricket.

PGWomble Wed 24-Nov-10 23:16:33

Yes. YABU. wink

He's staying up for the world's greatest sport, and sport's greatest tournament. Come on England!!

newwave Wed 24-Nov-10 23:18:18

So in fact you dont hate the cricket as such just the cold

Great game at times

nancy75 Wed 24-Nov-10 23:18:58

try being married to an Aussie! dp is going to be glued to the telly

Meglet Wed 24-Nov-10 23:19:57

Cricket's great. Lucky sods, following the sun around all the time, UK summers, India, Australia, Carribean envy.

CuddlyNotFat Wed 24-Nov-10 23:22:17

I actually don't really hate cricket, as the number of cricket teas I have provided will bear testament to...I just don't understand why he can't SkyPlus it and watch it tomorrow!

He's just come in and told me he's really nervous...

...about the match!

I smiled sweetly and refrained from pointing out that it's just a game.

PaisleyLeaf Wed 24-Nov-10 23:22:24

I'm with you OP.
It was on the news yesterday. The news!
Some fellas trying to win this by playing cricket. Wowee (not).

maktaitai Wed 24-Nov-10 23:22:25

YABU. Hot water bottle and the bed to yourself - bliss.

I do like cricket because you can read the paper while 'watching' it.

Heading for bed now - come to me little hot water bottle smile

LetThereBeRock Wed 24-Nov-10 23:22:42

YANBU. I hate it too,though even as a Scot,and a cricket hater,I really hope that England win.

The Aussies are so smug when they win. I can't bear it, so come on England.

nancy75 Wed 24-Nov-10 23:24:32

LetThereBeRock - Don't say that, they are worse when they lose and i have to live with one!

CuddlyNotFat Wed 24-Nov-10 23:24:38

Actually, looking on the bright side, I suppose he can't be moaning about me tapping away on MN!

LetThereBeRock Wed 24-Nov-10 23:26:18

Good point about when they lose.grin

SoMuchToBits Wed 24-Nov-10 23:26:50

Ah but it's never the same unless you watch it live....... wink

Actually I love cricket, but think I might have felt the same as you had it been rugby/football etc. So YANB entirely U.

pagwatch Wed 24-Nov-10 23:27:49

Well I am sitting here just willing it to start. Bloody marvellous game. I won't last long as I have to be up at 6.00 but COME ON ENGLAND!

CuddlyNotFat Wed 24-Nov-10 23:33:27

You are right about watching it live, SMTB. I went to Twickers to see England play last year with a friend and ahd the best time, shouted myself hoarse and got quite pissed on guinness...and still understand very little of the rules. Cracking day out, though!
Just to show there's no hard feelings, I'm going to selflessly offer him a cup of tea once I've boiled the kettle for my hot water bottle.

SoMuchToBits Wed 24-Nov-10 23:37:43

There's a very good book I can lend you if you don't know the rules. It's called "What is a Googly" and is a very down to earth idiot's guide to cricket. I knew nothing about cricket until 1997 when dh took me to a match. I took a book to read, as I thought it would be really boring, but actually enjoyed it so much I then started watching cricket on the tv.

I now know quite a lot about cricket, and ds (aged nearly 10) plays a lot.

Vallhala Wed 24-Nov-10 23:43:05

YABU. Cricket is second only to football.

There's something wonderfully laid back about it but it's exciting at the same time, in a Gary Lineker meets Lewis Hamilton kind of way.

SoMuchToBits Wed 24-Nov-10 23:45:06

I never knew there were so many cricket lovers on Mumsnet actually...

Maybe next year we can have a cricket world cup thread??

CuddlyNotFat Wed 24-Nov-10 23:45:22

I'm OK with the cricket rules, having embarressed myself once too often at the tea urn in the pavilion!

DD1 really keen on cricket too - she went on one of the Spirit of Cricket courses in the summer - girls only, coached by the England Women's team and she still talks about it.

Am thinking it probably is the cold and being on my own in bed I'm not so keen on rather than cricket per se.

Would love to see DHs face if I announced I was staying up all night to watch Desperate Housewives, though!

pippop1 Wed 24-Nov-10 23:45:39

Well my husband and Uni student son are going to Melbourne on Xmas eve and will return on New Year's Eve to watch the Ashes. We live in the UK so it's not a short trip. I don't really get it, but they are v v excited. I will stay at home with younger Uni student son.

To be fair, we don't celebrate Xmas as we are of a different religion and DH did ask me to go to Melbourne too. I didn't fancy walking round closed shops on my own in Australia. He did ask me if I minded him going and true he is forced to take the (non-bank holiday) days off between Xmas and New Year as part of his holiday allowance of 20 days.

The other day he asked me "What's going to be your Melbourne?". I'm thinking new flat screen TV, new phone and some lovely boots.

CuddlyNotFat Wed 24-Nov-10 23:49:36

Pippop - your DH sounds great, asking what your Melbourne is going to be. I do think you need to build your list up a bit, though!

MrsSnaplegs Thu 25-Nov-10 09:29:14

missed this yesterday - can I join you grin?

DH stayed up with cricket pictures on Sky and sound down with radio on for Test Match Special! I had to sleep with the dog hmm she won't let either of us sleep on our own - if one of us is away dog sleeps on bed with the other - unfortunately she is a full grown rhodesian ridgeback who feels she has to sleep diagonally hmm at least I wasn't cold grin

I am also 38+3 weeks pregnant so have now got to keep my legs crossed until Monday when this match is over grin I did suggest he could bring the radio in if I go into deliver beforehand! He wasn't sure how impressed the midwives would be grin

DD was born in 2005 and arrived 8 days late - the day after we won the ashes - if she had been a boy she would have been named after the whole team grin
She already knows all the umpires hand signals for the scores etc

And yes I've done the cricket teas bit in the past as well grin

SoMuchToBits Thu 25-Nov-10 13:20:40

Lol, my ds knew all the umpire's hand signals before he could talk! If we wanted him to lift his hands up out of the way in the high chair, we would just shout "Six!" Worked every time grin.

England don't seem to have done too well over night....

MrsSnaplegs Thu 25-Nov-10 15:27:53

DH claims he's only going to watch first hour tonight then will come to bed grin

azazello Thu 25-Nov-10 15:45:51

YABU. Cricket is wonderful. I just wish it was still on terrestrial tv although the radio chattering away all night is nearly as good

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: