Talk

Advanced search

to be upset that my dd age 4 came out of school with half her hair cut off!!: (

(165 Posts)
armani Wed 24-Nov-10 21:11:41

GRRRRRRRR! just need to rant! my dd has beautiful long blonde hair,today she came out of school and somelittle *** has cut her hair!!!!at the front it is awful cut down to the root and at the back her pony tail has been mostly cut off

im so upset for my dd, why would another child do this?

celebmum Wed 24-Nov-10 21:14:28

aww how mean! shock what did the school say?!?!

TmiEdward Wed 24-Nov-10 21:14:44

It's a right of passage.
Almost every child gets their cut, or cuts it themself. One girl I knew cut her own hair at school and she looked like Dave Hill from Slade
Get it trimmed into a lovely little bob.

Hawkmoth Wed 24-Nov-10 21:15:19

How has a four year old got hold of scissors that can cut anything other than paper?

I would be livid, but make it exciting for my DD and get her a 'Tinkerbell' haircut (or whatever she likes).

Hawkmoth Wed 24-Nov-10 21:15:19

How has a four year old got hold of scissors that can cut anything other than paper?

I would be livid, but make it exciting for my DD and get her a 'Tinkerbell' haircut (or whatever she likes).

armani Wed 24-Nov-10 21:16:36

dd's teacher came out at home time and said she was very sorry about it and that the little girl who had done it was very upset. i am just shock at how and why this has happened.

traceybath Wed 24-Nov-10 21:16:39

Does seem to happen a lot and the other child may have just been playing hairdressers or something.

I'd be upset though if I were you but it will grow.

traceybath Wed 24-Nov-10 21:17:40

Most little scissors that they use in nursery etc will cut hair. Its an unfortunate incident but you and your DD will be fine.

alarkaspree Wed 24-Nov-10 21:18:52

Scissors that will cut paper will definitely cut hair!

This does happen a lot - it's really annoying but don't be too upset on your dd's behalf. It doesn't mean she is being bullied or anything, just that someone got carried away with a hairdressing game.

runmeragged Wed 24-Nov-10 21:19:35

I think re the hair, like other posters have said - it will grow and in the mean time you can get a hairdresser to tidy it up as much as they can.

However, I would be seriously pissed off with the school - as I understand it, reception children often use scissors a lot because it strengthens their hands for writing. The girl who cut your DD's hair could easily have accidentally poked her in the eye with these scissors or cut her face. I would be livid about the safety aspect, just cross about the hair itself.

armani Wed 24-Nov-10 21:19:38

think im just shocked as it was so long and beautiful and now a huge mess. will try and makeit exciting for dd though with a new haircut.

traceybath Wed 24-Nov-10 21:22:01

I'm not underestimating how upset I'd be in your situation Armani - its tough. But DD will probably find it great fun to have a new hairstyle and will ensure that in future she screams loudly if anyone approaches her with scissors and wants to play hairdressers smile

armani Wed 24-Nov-10 21:22:28

thats the thing runmeragged her hair at the front has been cut down to the root, so obviously very close to her eyes. i just wonder how this could of happened to this extent wothout a teacher noticing first.

traceybath Wed 24-Nov-10 21:22:50

Oh and h&m, monsoon etc are full or really sweet little hair clips etc that you could put in her hair if she had a little bob cut.

seeker Wed 24-Nov-10 21:24:35

I would want more details - it takes very sharp scissors to cut hair, and quite a lot of time to cut that much off.

But bear in mind that your dd may well have cooperated.

PhishFoodAddiction Wed 24-Nov-10 21:26:11

I don't think YABU at all- I would probably end up crying if DD1 came out of school with her hair chopped off!

Though your DD might like going to the hairdresser and getting it cut properly, and then it will grow back-but it must have been a big shock for you.

Teacher's can't watch the kids all the time, but usually in DDs school they are mostly supervised if cutting/making models etc.

traceybath Wed 24-Nov-10 21:26:41

Oh those rubbishy little elc ones will cut hair - not that I'd know obviously having never cut my sister's hair when we were children oh no blush

armani Wed 24-Nov-10 21:26:55

thaks tracey she loves hair clips and bands

its taken me four years to grow her hair to the length it was but i am thankful it was only her hair that was cut and not anything else.

PhishFoodAddiction Wed 24-Nov-10 21:27:03

Oops, apostrophe on teachers where there shouldn't be.

Hulababy Wed 24-Nov-10 21:27:50

I would be really upset.

However, it is fairy common unfortunately. Man children experiment with this - either on their own hair, on an equally curious frend and sometimes on an unwilling victim.

We don't ban scissors in classrooms. They are children's round edged scissors but hair is so fine and easy to cut - even children's safety scissors will cut off hair.

Time for a cute little bob. It will grow with time.

ps.. take a photo before - it may become something to chuckle at when she is a fair bit older.

Hulababy Wed 24-Nov-10 21:28:42

I work in a y1 clas, but reception is the same - children have open access o most areas in the classroom, including the craft section where safety scissors and glue are.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 24-Nov-10 21:29:08

It takes sharp scissors to cut hair neatly.

Oh dear. It doesn't take very long to weild scissors. My DH said he cut off one pigtail off the girl sittingin front of him - I don't think there was any reason or malice, it was just there and irresistable!

Get one of those wide fabric headbands to wear over the hairline till the fringe grows out a bit maybe?

Is it cut to the roots? If so, will it still be noticable even if you do cut it in a bob?

The wee pet.

lazylula Wed 24-Nov-10 21:30:01

YANBU to be upset, but as you say try to make it positive for your dd, Unfortunately it does happen, the school scissors that children use do cut hair and it would only take a few seconds for it to happen. The classroom I worked in, the scissors were kept in the scissor draw and the children had quite free access to them, which is not unusual in a Reception class (I trained in 2 other classes plus volunteered in a Nursery class and all had the scissors where children could access them). The teacher will hopefully do a class chat about how scissors are used and what they are not used for.

herbietea Wed 24-Nov-10 21:31:23

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now