Talk

Advanced search

Ricky Gervais

(54 Posts)
minimammoth Wed 24-Nov-10 20:15:09

AIBU to think I am the only person in the country who does not get Ricky Gervais?

faverolles Wed 24-Nov-10 20:16:37

I don't either.
Thought the office was crap, and have pretty much avoided watching him since.

classydiva Wed 24-Nov-10 20:17:44

I like him, to be fair he was not that good on stage when I saw him doing Science.

We all have different tastes with regards men and food, so why not also comedians.

nannynobnobs Wed 24-Nov-10 20:19:02

I find him deeply unfunny and smug. I didn't like The Office either, though I really don't like 'cringe comedy'.

SkeletonFlowers Wed 24-Nov-10 20:19:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Preggersplayspop Wed 24-Nov-10 20:21:25

I liked the office. Didn't get extras. I find him smug.

peggotty Wed 24-Nov-10 20:22:03

He has been in the middle of a serious backlash for the past couple of years. Similar thing happened to Simon Pegg when he went to America to Make It Big.

minimammoth Wed 24-Nov-10 20:22:18

Ah. Thats it cringe comedy. Well described. I just don't get why so many go for it.
Glad to know I'm not alone. was beginning to think am an alien or something.

complexnumber Wed 24-Nov-10 20:38:43

I really like RG, in just about all he has done (actually, didn't like the films that much)and see him as being talented.

Can I just ask, everso politely, what those who do not like him prefer to watch or listen to?

I have no agenda with this, it's just genuine interest.

usualsuspect Wed 24-Nov-10 20:40:59

I don't get him either..thought it was just me

dittany Wed 24-Nov-10 20:44:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DramaInPyjamas Wed 24-Nov-10 20:45:38

I liked the Office, and Extras..

'The Invention Of Lying' was a quite a good film.
Haven't seen anything else he has done.

scottishmummy Wed 24-Nov-10 20:46:06

merchant is funny in tooth fairy surprisingly so

minimammoth Wed 24-Nov-10 20:50:52

complex number. I am also interested to know what it is about his humour that makes you laugh. I love Billy Connelly, I enjoy the comics on Mock the Week, Love Eddie Izzard.
I appreciate that we all have different tastes.

FooffyShmoofer Wed 24-Nov-10 20:58:59

After seeing Ricky Gervais and Steven Marchant on An Idiot Abroad it has compounded my feeling that RG is a smug tit residing very far up his own arse (and no I don't get his humour) and have completely changed my opinion of SM. He comes over as slimy little side kick guy. Anyone who calls others 'my friend' in such a superior manner should be kicked - alot.

I love, love, love John Bishop and Dara O'briaiain. Ed Byrne and Eddie Izzard.

scottishmummy Wed 24-Nov-10 21:00:35

really funny is rhod gilbert

bees474 Wed 24-Nov-10 21:00:53

He makes me SHUDDER

Janos Wed 24-Nov-10 21:02:08

YANBU. Can't bear the smug faced git.

My sister thinks he is fantastic. He makes my teeth itch.

DramaInPyjamas Wed 24-Nov-10 21:02:44

Rhod Gilbert is TOO funny.

FooffyShmoofer Wed 24-Nov-10 21:03:27

scottishmummy- yes Rhod Gilbert is soo funny.

hackingandhewing Wed 24-Nov-10 21:03:29

Do you know I absolutely love him but I am unable to decide why. I am always trying to tell people what it is I like about him but I guess it just boils down to him apelaing to my sense of humour. I have seen him live and he was really good. However, I do feel that his ego is now getting out of control and I think he can be lazy because he thinks everyone loves him he doesn't have to try.

I am stangely attracted to some fairly strange "comedy" personalities. I think it's because my family are uber straight laced and have no sense of humour. (Except me of course, I am hilarious)

hackingandhewing Wed 24-Nov-10 21:04:27

appealing

sunshineriver Wed 24-Nov-10 21:56:07

RG goes in the box with The Inbetweeners

The whole cringe comedy thing just does nothing for me - though give me Michael McIntyre and I won't stop laughing from start to finish

complexnumber Thu 25-Nov-10 11:56:02

'complex number. I am also interested to know what it is about his humour that makes you laugh. I love Billy Connelly, I enjoy the comics on Mock the Week, Love Eddie Izzard.
I appreciate that we all have different tastes.'
minimammoth

That's a fair question, given that I had previously asked what those who did not like RG would find funny.

It's always very hard to explain why you think something's funny. I do admire his powers of observation of the human condition and his ability to make you (well me anyway) recognise these things and laugh.

Incidently,minimammoth, I also love Eddie Izzard and Mock the Week (it's been so long since I have heard anything of Billy Connelly, I used to think he was great).

I have often found the best comedy (imho) can be found on R4, that's where a lot of the stuff you see on telly starts out.

minimammoth Thu 25-Nov-10 18:19:38

Agree there Complex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now