Talk

Advanced search

to think that this is compleatly unfair....

(61 Posts)
honeybeetree Tue 23-Nov-10 21:15:12

Recently I crashed my car someone was on my side of the road and I made a split second decition to crash into the headge as I knew I would not stop the driver of the car after checking I was ok drove away.... The farmer's wife just rang me demading money for the hedge... Am slightly peed off by her saying:
What will you do about it?
How will you fix it?
It will cost lots and you need to pay...

it was about a foot of hedge I damaged slightly... I have pictures...

vintageteacups Tue 23-Nov-10 21:16:35

I'm sure that your insurance company would pay, no?

mumcanihavearabbit Tue 23-Nov-10 21:18:17

Sorry,I cant really understand what you mean. Someone driving a car was on your side of the road? Or a pedestrian?

mollymax Tue 23-Nov-10 21:18:48

Sounds like you need to contact the insurance.
Have you got the details from the other driver?

WhyHavePets Tue 23-Nov-10 21:21:24

weeeell Why should they have to pay for the hedge? <ducks>

Seriously though, they are right to want something done and it should be the other persons insurance so you need to go to your insurance company and let them handle it from here.

honeybeetree Tue 23-Nov-10 21:21:59

A car was on my side.. no I do not they drove off .. if they send a bill will send to the insurance but it was her manner that got my back up !

honeybeetree Tue 23-Nov-10 21:23:06

she was very bitchy with me ... it was a tiny tiny part of the headge

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 23-Nov-10 21:24:45

Thing is, hedges are there for a reason, and that reason often has to do with keeping animals away from the road. So if there's a hole in the hedge, they can't use that field until it's fixed. Sorry you'll have to take the hit.

GypsyMoth Tue 23-Nov-10 21:25:04

farmers hedge?? probably needed to keep expensive farm animals enclosed?

mumcanihavearabbit Tue 23-Nov-10 21:26:55

Did you report it to the Police? When was it?

mumcanihavearabbit Tue 23-Nov-10 21:27:31

And how did the Farmer get your number?

WhyHavePets Tue 23-Nov-10 21:28:07

The thing is, if it were my property that had been damaged, then i would have expected you to contact me and tell me what was going to happen to rectify the problem so, in this case, I would have expected "Hi, sorry about the hedge, I have contacted my/his insurance company and will keep you posted" and, if I didn't get that, I would have been pretty pissed off and, possibly, quite cross/bitchy when I had to contact you to find out what was going to be done.

I am sure she should have been nicer but, tbh, I can understand her being a bit peeved!

honeybeetree Tue 23-Nov-10 21:29:58

yes I live in a farming community but this field is used for growing things in...

Toughasoldboots Tue 23-Nov-10 21:30:59

Sounds as if she could have been a bit nicer in the way that she went about it. Someone damaged my fence, the dog would have got onto the road- I have done a temp/bodge job as that is my priority rather than harassing the poor man that drove hs car into it( although I am quite peed off actually).

So, if they were that concerned they should do that first, then try and sort out proper job.

mumcanihavearabbit Tue 23-Nov-10 21:31:18

Doesnt matter what the field is used for, it isnt yours, and you damaged it.

WhyHavePets Tue 23-Nov-10 21:33:22

So the hedge is to stop people/animals getting in then?

Either way it is someones property that you damaged even if it was not your fault. It has to be fixed and it has to be you to do it if you did not get the other persons details. Frustrating I am sure but not really something that can be denied!

Desiderata Tue 23-Nov-10 21:33:32

Can I offer anyone a full stop?

AfternoonsandCoffeespoons Tue 23-Nov-10 21:37:35

grin Desiderata.

jinnyandshantih Tue 23-Nov-10 21:38:33

Just because it is a field why shouldn't they claim for damage. You would not think twice about your insurance paying out if you had damaged a wall or fence in a village.

What the field is used for is irrelevant - we are farmers and try to keep our farm looking nice, which is not easy when people drive through hedges!

honeybeetree Tue 23-Nov-10 21:39:02

the phonebook I guess... I have an unusual name... at the time looking at the hedge I couldn't see damage so didn't think to phone.could have just to let her know.. Have just looked at the pictures and there is no hole in it ....

AfternoonsandCoffeespoons Tue 23-Nov-10 21:39:44

FTR I think YABU.

Possibly the farmers wife was also U in the way she spoke to you but it kind of is your responsibilty to get the hedge repaired, in as much as it isn't hers IYSWIM.

mumcanihavearabbit Tue 23-Nov-10 21:40:16

How would she know it was you though, where did she get your name?

wannaBe Tue 23-Nov-10 21:41:19

you damaged the hedge - therefore you are liable.

What exactly is unfair about that?

honeybeetree Tue 23-Nov-10 21:42:14

I will pass it on to the insurance then it is out of my hands...

WhyHavePets Tue 23-Nov-10 21:42:30

But there is damage - which is why you took the photo hmm

Put simply, you broke it, you fix it. It may seem unfair but there it is.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: