Talk

Advanced search

To think that some people on Home swapper (and other such sites) are a little ...

(17 Posts)
Manda25 Tue 23-Nov-10 18:52:54

ermm funny ?? Firstly for people who don't know home swapper is for council/HA housing tenants who want to swap their homes. Some people want bigger homes, some people want to swap area's and a small minority of people want to downsize.

You can write a little 'blurb' about what home you have and what you are looking for - now I don't blame anyone for wanting accommodation to suit their needs but some people are so ... unrealistic! I read today 'I have a one bed flat and would like to swap - must move within .5 miles of so-and-so to a HOUSE WITH A GARDEN, MUST HAVE AT LEAST 3 GOOD SIZED BEDROOMS. Need a drive and a down stairs toilet. No terrace house please ONLY semi detached.
(the caps were theirs not mine)

AIBU? to think beggers cant be choosers (so to speak) - or is it a case of you don't ask you don't get?

misdee Tue 23-Nov-10 19:00:08

i am on homeswapper hmm

i have a 3bedroom house, and am looking to move within 2miles of where i am now for a 4+ bedroom. garden is needed due to dogs and kids.

however i am being realistic, and have added i would consider a 3bed with seperate dning room.

so yes, i can be choosey.

GypsyMoth Tue 23-Nov-10 19:01:56

I know. Have seen this myself

I need to go from 3 bed to 4, so never going to be easy. Someone messages me saying they had what I wanted, in next village, so no school change. Perfect. Except it turned out to be a near identical house...... They had partioned one room to create an 'extra room'...... Yeah right!!! Total waste of time, but they got nasty and emailed 3/4 tomes a day to get me to re consider.

misdee Tue 23-Nov-10 19:03:29

lol ilovetiffany.

i have had people asking if i would consider a 2bed flat in london. errr no.

spacewise a 4bed here is no bigger thabn most of the 3 beds. but i cant divide the rooms up evenly due to window placement.

Manda25 Tue 23-Nov-10 19:15:11

Misdee - I am obviously also on home swapper - although I am not currently wanting to move as I found (finally) my swap over a year ago.. (took 8 yrs). I think it is the sense of entitlement that gets to me ...not someone being picky. I understand someone not wanting to move too far away from home because of school, work, family & friends...but drive way & down stairs toilet...and being almost rude about it in their 'blurb'!! 'don't contact me if you don't meet my requirements' !!

GypsyMoth Tue 23-Nov-10 19:17:07

Yes window placement !!

Can't do it either! A 6 bed came up in islington, but want to stay beds/herts/bucks

misdee Tue 23-Nov-10 19:21:06

a 6 bed came up near me but they want norwich. bah bah!

manda, i guess they have a lot of timewasters like we do.

i have said i will consdiering a multiswap.

if anyone wants a 3bed house, nicely decorated in wwlwyngarden city, i na quiet cul-de-sac close to town centre, and has a 4bed in any decorative order but within wgc, then do let me know wink

we need to stay in the area due to dh work, hospital stuff and kids school.

though if i hadmy way i'd be looking to move to the seaside lol.

miniwedge Tue 23-Nov-10 19:22:40

Hasn't occurred to you that there might be a reason for needing a driveway and downstairs toilet? hmm

Disability? Additional needs?

YABU.

misdee Tue 23-Nov-10 19:23:23

ohm i have a sdriveway and downstairs loo grin

APixieInMyTea Tue 23-Nov-10 19:26:14

My mom is on homeswapper and has moved houses 4 times in 4yrs. I'm sure people just look out for my moms name on there because she does a house up, swaps to a total shìthole, does it all up, gets bored and swaps again. Sorry bit off topic there.

I've been looking as we need a swap come April. I'm not fussy though. We need a certain (rather large) area and a 2 or 3 bedroom house that's it. I have seen some very funny ads though.

misdee Tue 23-Nov-10 19:28:26

3ST&AreaValid=True&Bung=True&Dis=2&EmpId=0&Flat=Tr ue&HsPost=&House=True&IsPost=True&IsPartPost=False &IsRefined=False&Lang=English&LetId=-1&Lim=False&M ais=True&MaxBed=6&MinBed=5&Ons=&PNGaz=0&PropId=-1& RentID=-1&SCSesh=7475213592K107776828&PropPho=Fals e&PropGar=False&PropPar=False&2WayOnly=False&App=F alse its huuuge

if only i was in norwich, i'd swap!

Manda25 Tue 23-Nov-10 19:29:09

Mini - No because you have to state if you need a place adapted for Disability and it would also state if the home you were swapping from is adapted.

thefirstMrsDeVere Tue 23-Nov-10 19:31:20

They didnt have it when I was in social housing.

My mate is on it and she often has me in stitches with the tales of the nutters she has encountered.

She is an actress so is v.funny. She is also strangly naive so gets herself into weird situations with people who have no intention of moving but just like looking at other people's houses, describe their homes as one thing and they turn out to be very different or stalkers who are determined that she really does want to swop her little house for a studio flat in Berkhamstead.

I dont envy anyone in social housing these days

Manda25 Tue 23-Nov-10 19:32:57

You are both not too far from me! (Herts)

misdee Tue 23-Nov-10 19:36:17

lol manda, i think we get a lot of nutters round this way.

but thank you for this thread as just signed into my account and had a new match, so have messaged them. but probably wont be successful.

GypsyMoth Tue 23-Nov-10 19:45:50

i might have a look at my account now....

bedandbreakfast Wed 24-Nov-10 02:11:03

I think a lot of people on the site would like to move but aren't absolutely desperate to, so they happy to wait for the right property to come up.

You might think that it's not realistic to get such an exchange, but my parents moved from a little 2 bed in East Anglia to a large 3 bed house in Camden - the family needed to move back to East Anglia so it was just a matter of being on the list at the right time. This was before the days of Homeswapper, though, they had to peer over lists in the local Housing Office every week.

I've got my Islington flat currently listed on the site, but I don't really need to move as such. I just fancy a change of scenery, so I just like to stay on the list to see what comes up.

I think the advert in the OP is a bit U but probably because I don't like people SHOUTING at me grin. I need a garden though and I explain in my ad that it's due to SN issues.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: