Talk

Advanced search

26yr old Adoptee...

(5 Posts)
sweetsmiler Tue 23-Nov-10 17:51:38

first time on here so hoping someone can shed some light. I have known i was adopted since i was 16. At 18 i found my birth mother and brother..i have a younger sister who is 11 but does not know about me. I have chosen to not hav contact now with my mother or brother for personel reasons..but i have never met my biological dad all i know is he went to live in newcastle. My question is am i allowed to get all details and records with regards to the circumstances around my adoption or not. i live in cheshire and im not sure how to go about starting the ball rolling who to go to or where to go, im hoping someone on here may be able to shed some light and would be nice to hear off anyone in a similar position and share stories thank you xxx

jazzchickens Tue 23-Nov-10 17:58:25

Hi. Do you know which Local Authority dealt with your adoption? If so, you can write to them directly and request access to your files.

Alternatively, After Adoption has branches in Manchester and North Wales. they can assist you.

sweetsmiler Tue 23-Nov-10 18:15:05

thanks for quick reply, i was born in chester and my adoptive parents are from ellesmere port so not really far apart so i would presume its the social services within Cheshire West

nemofish Tue 23-Nov-10 18:17:07

You may get better responses on an adoption or even a government website? Or try typing your question directly into google.

WIsh you the best of luck, but whatever happens, remember not to let it get you down. smile

jazzchickens Tue 23-Nov-10 18:26:11

It sounds like it - although Adoption Agencies quite often place outside their area and boundaries have changed throughout the years- but its a good starting point.

It is still worth contacting After Adoption - they have a website www.afteradoption.org.uk as they have lots of support groups where you can meet up with people in similar situations. They can also contact the local authority on your behalf.

They can assist with searching for your biological dad and possibly act as an intermediary.

I really do think you need a lot of support and guidance when going through this as there are lots of issues you may not think about on your own.

I wish you well in your search.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: