Talk

Advanced search

Grassing someone for scamming benefits? Yes or no?

(430 Posts)
SnitchySnitchOrNot Tue 23-Nov-10 11:02:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shimmerysilverglitter Tue 23-Nov-10 11:03:31

Yes, it sucks, but mind your own. She will get caught anyway if she is doing it so obviously.

Sarsaparilllla Tue 23-Nov-10 11:04:23

It does suck indeed, I don't know if I'd shop her in, hmmm, I'd be very tempted tho....

FlameGrilledMama Tue 23-Nov-10 11:05:14

You could see it as a favor if she gets caught now she probably wont have to go to prison for it.

GypsyMoth Tue 23-Nov-10 11:05:33

its up to her what she buys,for her dc and her home....none of your business

how do you know (for certain) what she claims???

can you please tell us which benefits she claims,and importantly,the amount she gets for each one?

wintersnow Tue 23-Nov-10 11:06:43

It does really suck but by the sounds of it it won't be her (she will prob keep on going out every w/e) it will be her kids who will suffer, plus she'll have a criminal record. I was on benefits years ago when I was a single parent with DD and still managed to buy her this kind of thing for xmas

electra Tue 23-Nov-10 11:07:26

No, don't do it.

Chil1234 Tue 23-Nov-10 11:09:34

YANBU... if you can't report someone to the authorities out of a sense of spite moral indignation, what's the point? Go on... you'll enjoy it

ShirleyKnot Tue 23-Nov-10 11:10:05

Has she got a plasma tv and eat pre-cut fruit?

I wouldn't bother reporting her, the cuts in benefits will sort her kind out, and no mistake.

SnitchySnitchOrNot Tue 23-Nov-10 11:10:15

Beb Tue 23-Nov-10 11:10:28

Gosh, I'm in the opposite camp completely (but work in a benefits office, so tend to be pro-reporting fraud!!) If you have any suspicion, just do it. If she ISN'T claiming illegally, then they will be able to look into that and nothing will happen.

TBH, all that will happen is she will get a letter saying a report has been made that her fiance is living there, and can she come in for an interview/can someone come to her home. She WONT go to prison etc, she will just get cautioned and her benefits readjusted. I genuinely don't get why people think they should cover for people who are committing a crime - personally I think we all have a duty to report crime that we know is happening.

ShirleyKnot Tue 23-Nov-10 11:12:19

It's all so fucking yawnsome.

This will be possibly the 75th time this sort of question has been asked.

No doubt that after the massive bun fight debate is halfway through, the OP will say "Meh, I've reported her anyway"

Pointless.

FlameGrilledMama Tue 23-Nov-10 11:14:28

Beb the reason I said you might save her going to prison is social demand you pay everything back so if this goes unnoticed for a few years she is gonna get back charged a huge debt and if you cant pay you go to prison. So I would snitch and then maybe she can learn the error of her ways when there is only a small price to pay.

SnitchySnitchOrNot Tue 23-Nov-10 11:15:50

TrillianAstra Tue 23-Nov-10 11:17:10

Do it.

She'll get caught eventually if she isbeing so obvious, better for it to be sooner than later so there is less for her to have to pay back.

everythingiseverything Tue 23-Nov-10 11:18:02

Ryoko Tue 23-Nov-10 11:19:03

I wouldn't bother, as far as scams go it's not much of one, not like MPs with £450 a week food expenses and duck houses.

if his work is legit they will find out anyway after a while.

Nuttybear Tue 23-Nov-10 11:19:25

My first thought is to snitch but to be fair she might figure out it was you or you will keep thinking that's she'll figure it's you.
She is living her life in a yukky way. take are out of the circle of people that you know anything about. Don't be snotty just surround yourself with people going your way. When the scandals & courts cases hit you won't have the stress of listening to her smile I'm having a shitty day and it my own fault(nothing to do with snitching) The whole thing will wind you up and give you more crap than you need. If you are moving in the next few months then snitch smile

everythingiseverything Tue 23-Nov-10 11:22:29

SnitchySnitchOrNot Tue 23-Nov-10 11:22:57

Beb Tue 23-Nov-10 11:23:32

Ryoko Unfortunately, its very rare benefits office 'find out' about people who are scamming the system. If the fiance in this situation is registered as paying his tax at a different address, we would never find out - we have had many cases where people have married and it still hasn't eben passed to our department!! The fraud department relies on information from the public - please report her.

frgr Tue 23-Nov-10 11:24:25

Of course I would report. I would do it without providing my name. You have reasonable suspicians, if they investigate and find out no wrong has been done, never mind. But of course I would report someone for claiming benefits fraudulently (which she is, since she isn't entitled to the same level of help if she's co-habiting). She will get caught eventually anyway - better that it's now when she owes £1000 than £50000, say.

Fraud is fraud is fraud. I'm shock at the number of posters saying to leave it along or it's "not much of a scam" - christ almighty.

sparkle12mar08 Tue 23-Nov-10 11:27:33

I'd do it without a second thought...

ShuffleBallChange Tue 23-Nov-10 11:28:26

I can't actually type properly cos people like that really fuck me off, but don't do it if the guilt would make you feel bad, but if not, grass up the b*tch!!

whatdoiknowanyway Tue 23-Nov-10 11:29:55

It's fraud. Money paid to her is money not available for genuinely needy cases.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now