Talk

Advanced search

to expect more help from the BBC re strictly come dancing show

(17 Posts)
Haylo Mon 22-Nov-10 14:58:18

Background, l am very lucky to have been given two tickets to see SCD being filmed this saturday. DH has kindly suggested l go with MIL (who is a big fan) and have a great day out in London.

Tickets state access to site from 3.30pm and that more tickets are allocated than they can accomodate to allow for no shows. So wanting to plan day and travel etc, l phone BBC helpline today to ask what time do people tend to arrive to ensure they get seats, bearing in mind we are travelling from outside London, it will probably be chuffing freezing weather and MIL is nearing 70 with dodgy hips and heart condition.

Answer "l am not at liberty to say", well come on give me a clue, l don't want MIL queing outside for hours unnecessarily but also do not want to miss out on a seat, so what one/two hours, "l could not really say, people que at their leisure some time before entry time".

AIBU to expect a bit more help, its not like l would hold them to it if we didn't get seated, but come on give me a clue.

Anyone have any experience ?

Serendippy Mon 22-Nov-10 15:01:42

If you are truly worried about your MIL standing to queue, phone again and explain about the heart condition and ask if they will loan you a wheelchair? That way you can arrive when you want.

potplant Mon 22-Nov-10 15:01:58

Go to Digital Spy strictly forums and ask the question. You'll get loads of help.

Have fun

lottiejenkins Mon 22-Nov-10 15:02:26

Id ring back and tell them what you have said here about her health! Surely they should be able to help you??

DanceInTheDark Mon 22-Nov-10 15:02:58

Access to site is from 3:30pm, so assuming that people cue up for access you will be expected to queue - as is standard at these things where free tickets are issued.

The tickets are probably not issued by the BBC but by somewhere like The Applause Store.

FredAboutAFred Mon 22-Nov-10 15:03:19

what a wanky answer

DanceInTheDark Mon 22-Nov-10 15:03:26

oops wrong cue/queue ! *

Rockbird Mon 22-Nov-10 15:10:01

We used to do this a lot at the BBC and the London Studios and, assuming things haven't changed massively they will do bugger all to help. We have queued for hours and still not got in to things.

CheeseandGherkins Mon 22-Nov-10 15:12:24

I've done similar as a teen and queued for 3 or 4 hours, sometimes longer. I'd say much longer than just 1 hour.

wannaBe Mon 22-Nov-10 15:17:21

well if queuing starts at 3:30 then people will be arriving at 3:30 (probably earlier even) so not really sure what else you want them to be able to tell you?

Rockbird Mon 22-Nov-10 15:22:11

We have been there about an hour before queueing 'starts' and still been at the end of a good long queue if it's something popular, which I'm guessing this would be.

Haylo Mon 22-Nov-10 16:48:16

Thanks for your responses. Thanks for the digital spy tip had not thought of that.

This day is a really big thing for MIL, never does anything for herself and loves the show. She is not registered disabled and would not under any circumstances use a wheelchair.

l just want to make an informed decision on when to arrive given the hints we have been given about arriving before the given 'access to site time'. l would hate for us to make all of this effort to get there and then not get in. MIL cannot make any decision, so l do feel responsible for the day.

Arriving mega early risks us standing in freezing conditions outside for hours and having to make alternative lunch arrangements other than a nice lunch somewhere warm before we arrive, but hey ho if thats what we've got to do to get in.

Unrulysun Mon 22-Nov-10 17:15:12

I've been to radio recordings and generally arrive an hour before the site opens (I know!) nothing as popular as strictly though. But they won't expect an old lady with or without health problems to queue like that. Call them up and ask to speak with someone about access issues and explain the problem. They'll have a designated person who will be very helpful. If they're not you can sell your story to the tabloids!

twirlymum Mon 22-Nov-10 17:32:57

The way they run it is a PITA.
My DD was part of a show (a pre-recorded part) being filmed in front of an audience at the BBC. I had 'priority' tickets, and took DD and my niece (2 hours travelling time). We arrived 30 mins before the show, and were told that due to the amount of people in the queue, there was no way we would get in.
I went into the reception, and had a bit of a moan, and they promised we would get in for the next session. We popped over to Westfield for a couple of hours, came back, and had the same problem!
I ended up calling the production company, who 'pulled rank' and got us in past the queue.
It was a bit chaotic really.
I would ring and explain your MiL's health problems, and see what they say, especially as the weather forecast isn't too good this weekend.

MrsVincentPrice Mon 22-Nov-10 17:50:08

Strictly tickets are so very popular that I'd be surprised if they overbook very much, but there will be lots of people on DS who can advise.
Bring a slanket (is that what they're called?) and a hand warmer.

HowsTheSerenity Mon 22-Nov-10 17:53:20

I have been to lots of shows. I would get there quite early and TAKE A WHEELCHAIR!!!!

People who did not get in last time get priority the next time. Lots of seats allocated to friends and family of the cast too.

She can sit down and possibly use it to her advantage.

They really do not care if you have a disability or drove for hours. They just want bums on seats.

megonthemoon Mon 22-Nov-10 18:00:47

If your Mil doesn't want to use a wheelchair, could you get one of those folding stools for her that are very easy to carry when folded? That way she has something to sit on but without her pride being dented (which I guess is the issue with a wheelchair)

I would also take a flask of hot soup - much nicer when queueing than slightly cold tea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now