Talk

Advanced search

To hate the coke-cola Christmas ad?

(27 Posts)
PinkCanary Mon 22-Nov-10 12:39:49

I'm sorry but "holidays" are NOT coming!!! I'm not off to sunny Butlins any time soon...

MsSparkle Mon 22-Nov-10 12:42:27

Yabu. The coke adverts are what marks the start of the christmas season!grin

thenightsky Mon 22-Nov-10 12:45:58

YANBU

Ice cold coke belongs in summer. I'm not sure when they hijacked the Christmas holidays but it seems all wrong to me.

MsSparkle Mon 22-Nov-10 12:49:26

Surely a nice Malibu with coke is good all year roundwink

SuePurblybiltByElves Mon 22-Nov-10 12:50:50

YABVVVVVVU. Tis excellent. I also love the Budweiser horses and anything involving carols. Only 766 hours till the Big Day grin

thenightsky, Coca-cola hijacked Santa Claus long ago, that's why the colours match smile. They're responsible for the red and white natty outfit he has on.

AMumInScotland Mon 22-Nov-10 12:51:06

Coke hijacked Christmas long ago - its the reason Santa has a red coat instead of all the other colours he used to have before the main image of him was in coke adverts.

The ads are just American - everyone knows "holidays" means Christmas to most people, but they don't say it ou loud for fear of offending non-Christians.

Guacamohohohole Mon 22-Nov-10 13:27:18

Actually, I'm pretty sure the whole Santa red outfit and coca cola thing is an urban myth!?!

LetThereBeRock Mon 22-Nov-10 13:30:58

It is a myth. Santa was depicted in the familiar red outfit,complete with beard, before Coca Cola used him to market their product.

jonesy71 Mon 22-Nov-10 13:31:18

I was going to say YABU the ad is the start of the christmas season as Ms Sparkle pointed out

but now

Guacamo you have marked the start of the season by kicking off the 'urban myth' thing again

Ho Ho Ho

Marrow Mon 22-Nov-10 13:31:27

No not an urban myth. See here

Marrow Mon 22-Nov-10 13:33:13

A myth about the colours but not that they are responsible for the modern image.

LetThereBeRock Mon 22-Nov-10 13:33:59

[[http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/santa/c ocacola.asp See Snopes,including illustrations of Santa in the familiar red outfit, from 1906 and 1908.

They may have popularised it,but they didn't create it.

LetThereBeRock Mon 22-Nov-10 13:34:29

I'll try again.grin Here.

TinselinaBumSquash Mon 22-Nov-10 13:35:56

Yabu obviously hmm

The Christmas holiday is coming for work and school. Stop being bloody miserable. grin

Ryoko Mon 22-Nov-10 13:37:57

I hate the coca cola santa.

MaDuggar Mon 22-Nov-10 13:39:12

I always get a shiver when I see the advert for the first time each year! Reminds me of being young & the excitement of Christmas! so, in my opinion, YABU

jonesy71 Mon 22-Nov-10 13:40:24

Oh FFS, here we go again,

thanks Guacamo

Marrow, that article is from the Coke company themselves

take a look at Santa on here www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=35 looking very Santa-ish and red, way back in 1869..

woopsidaisy Mon 22-Nov-10 13:43:57

Love that ad! Years ago there was an add in ROI for Pennys which was rolled out every Christmas...Pennys,got a whole lot of things for Christmas,got a lot for the family...got a looooot of sooooocks and we've got a looooot of haaaaats and we've got a lot of (something else) and nice surprises...quick flash to picture of lady in her lingerie...always made me feel Christmassy when that add came on! Which is what the coke add does for me now!

Tikitikitembo Mon 22-Nov-10 13:58:20

oh i love it !

this one as well

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TMwBFK2qHI

Tikitikitembo Mon 22-Nov-10 14:24:41

The best holiday ads are always the gap ones though, I love this one

talk to the moose grin

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNabu9daJUc&feature=relate d

TheMeow Mon 22-Nov-10 14:30:45

YABU...I have old tapes of recorded programmes from when I was little with this advert on it. It reminds me of Christmas when I was little every time I see it.

PinkCanary Mon 22-Nov-10 16:03:38

Meh, I must be unseasonal then. Have always hated it since I was a teen. Always felt really patronising to me.

It's the premier of the John Lewis ad that signifies Xmas for me, but then that's a whole other thread...

The3Bears Mon 22-Nov-10 16:12:40

YABU i love the christmas coke ad

jonesy71 Mon 22-Nov-10 16:21:19

ooh and the Estee Lauder christmas add, that always gave a warm christmassy feeling.

ppeatfruit Mon 22-Nov-10 16:28:51

I'll support you pinkcanary I HATE THE BROWN SUGAR,CHEMICAL WATER and everything that goes with it. Did you know that they want a 3rd tap in everyone's house with coke coming from it? YR def NBU.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: