Talk

Advanced search

to complain becuase Santa's Elves look more like hookers?

(38 Posts)
PDR Mon 22-Nov-10 11:44:44

I have just been shopping and inside our local shopping centre, Santa's Grotto has opened for business...

Whilst paying for something I noticed that Santa's Elves were dressed somewhat inappropriately - think low cut tight top and hot pants - at this point the girl had no tights on - later I saw they had dark tights on.

I texted my best friend asking if she had seen the Grotto yet and she replied saying they looked like hookers last year and she wasn't surprised!

Seriously though surely a Grotto is aimed at children under 10 and I think it's totally unacceptable to have "sexy elves" at the entrance.

I would not bring my son here now (he is only 2 though so a bit young anyway) and I don't think this is setting a good example to young girls.

AIBU to have written an email to the shopping centre asking why the Elves were dressed like this? Or do I have too much time on my hands and need to get a life wink

Numberfour Mon 22-Nov-10 11:50:09

YANBU. You may have too much time on your hands, but YADNBU.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 22-Nov-10 11:50:12

Possibly being a tiny BU. I imagine the 'girls' had no say in their costume. Would you really like proper midgety wizened elfs to scare your children though?

PDR Mon 22-Nov-10 11:52:29

Oh I am not blaming the girls themselves - but whoever chose the costumes kreecher

sixpercenttruejedi Mon 22-Nov-10 12:04:47

YANBU.

Timeforanap Mon 22-Nov-10 12:21:31

I agree. I don't mind legs in shorts and tights, but I think very low cut tops are definitely inappropriate. Or maybe the elves are multi-tasking and about to BF their babies?

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 22-Nov-10 12:30:58

You could always give them a nice high necked vest in the name of health and safety. You wouldn't want them catching a cold would you?
When we lived in Thailand, DD was scandalised by the minimal nature of some 'ladies'. She offered one her cardigan to wear.

BuntyPenfold Mon 22-Nov-10 12:59:19

at kreecher's little girl.

Yes, I am sick of the sex worker look and not jealous that I can't carry it off.

PerpetuallyAnnoyedByHeadlice Mon 22-Nov-10 13:02:44

Oh hear hear OP, YASooooNBU

PaisleyLeaf Mon 22-Nov-10 13:02:56

yanbu
I remember this from last year. And Mrs Santa costumes that look like they're from Ann Summers.

WowOoo Mon 22-Nov-10 13:05:45

Ds naively said recently :

Santa's elves and helpers are meant to have big ears but she only has big boobs and big shoes. He was not impressed.

pinkthechaffinch Mon 22-Nov-10 13:23:22

YADNBU

'sexy witches' at Halloween also get on my nerves.

PerpetuallyAnnoyedByHeadlice Mon 22-Nov-10 13:58:19

ROFL at WO's DS!!

he is so right! Not only is it inappropriate but the kids are being short changed

dockate Mon 22-Nov-10 14:55:35

Totally agree; I think they're trying to get the Dads motivated to stay in the ridiculously long queues. YANBU.

cumbria81 Mon 22-Nov-10 15:22:46

Ah, YABU. They need something for the dads to perve at grin

I wouldn't have gone so far as to complain.

PDR Mon 22-Nov-10 15:36:34

Agree that's it probably meant to lure the dads into paying for DC to see Father Christmas. My DH could not see the problem hmm Typical!

ENormaSnob Mon 22-Nov-10 15:51:49

Yanbu

exploitation of women for financial gain IMO

grumpypants Mon 22-Nov-10 15:55:43

but, if i, at 16, was going to dress up and pretend to be an elf, I would definitely have done as 'sexy' as I could and not frumpy 'proper' elf. So, shift work + low pay + willingness of teenage girls = sexy elves.

mummyloveslucy Mon 22-Nov-10 16:07:57

YANBU at all, it's awful! It ruins the spirit of Christmas.
I also agree with grumpypants and I can see why it happens, but it's just so sad. sad Childhood is a time of innosence. (I know I'm sounding like my mum now).

ENormaSnob Mon 22-Nov-10 16:09:00

Surely the costumes are provided by the employer.

ISNT Mon 22-Nov-10 16:09:34

YANBU

discobeaver Mon 22-Nov-10 16:11:00

How can a sexy elf ruin the spirit of Christmas?

Santa on crack might have a shot...

mummyloveslucy Mon 22-Nov-10 16:16:00

You know what I mean. grin I'm wearing my Bridget Jones's today. wink

babybarrister Mon 22-Nov-10 16:30:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

princessparty Mon 22-Nov-10 17:36:33

I would have thought they would be allowd to work in santa's workshop like that-against 'elf and safety

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: