Talk

Advanced search

Dispute over injury in gym and trainer brings my child into his angry response!

(31 Posts)
gymbunnynot Mon 22-Nov-10 09:41:12

I posted last week about an injury that has happened whilst training with a personal trainer. I have been unhappy with the trainers response and requested my money back.
I have had to chase him to get any response, when the response came I am still, 3 days later horrified and totally at a loss as to what to do.
He has sent an email denying the injury is anything to do with him.
He has listed my entire life circumstances and painted a picture of me as someone with more issues than you can shake a stick at.
That he has got it wrong on so many levels is quite bizarre.
I could go on about what he has said but the worse thing is him bringing my child into it.
In this email he has made 3 references to my child which to me is so beyond the realms of professionalism that it is untrue.
What should I do and is this acceptable?

QuizteamBleakley Mon 22-Nov-10 09:55:35

Is it possible to remove identifying info (for you & he) and post his response here? It sounds like he has possibly written something libellous, which could give grounds for litigious action??

Casserole Mon 22-Nov-10 09:56:19

Well without more detail it's hard to know, tbh.

If you've injured your shoulder and you're claiming it's his fault but you've also told him you spend your weekends engaging in rock climbing and swinging your child around your head then I can see why he might think he's not the only cause of your injury.

So it depends what he's said and whether it's true, to a certain extent. Sorry.

Memoo Mon 22-Nov-10 09:57:23

What was the injury and how did it happen?

ivykaty44 Mon 22-Nov-10 09:58:10

what was the injury and when did it take place?

Sorry but there is no link to your previous email.

Why has your dc been brought into this - was your dc there at the training session?

confused?

ENormaSnob Mon 22-Nov-10 09:59:02

Cannot form an opinion on the information you have given.

DirtyMartini Mon 22-Nov-10 09:59:40

Need more context to help, sorry.

gymbunnynot Mon 22-Nov-10 10:12:23

The programme that I went on is a six week weight loss, goal setting fitness programme. It is supposed to look at all elements of your life and help you to make changes.
I had 'tingling' in my arm and fingers during training and speculated as to whether I spend too much time at the computer. During a particually tough session, when I raised the issue with my arm, he pushed me through the session and the result has been a trapped nerve, alot of pain and alot of surrounding muscle damage.
I had thought I was going to do another six weeks of the programme but when the nature of the injury was explained to me I realised that actually the situation was all wrong and asked for the programme fee back.
I had to send the trainer 3 emails to get him to come back to me, the first of the email was my asking to go in and see him.
His response has been total denial.
He then followed up with an email stating that I am in fact angry at the situation in my life, we have made some huge changes and he included my child in this.
He has listed everything I have ever said in conversation and painted a very negative picture. His interpretation is so wrong it is almost funny if what he has said wasn't so horrendous.

ivykaty44 Mon 22-Nov-10 10:17:09

how many sessions did you complete?

elphabadefiesgravity Mon 22-Nov-10 10:17:18

I would take it further. ALthough the trainer is not and is not expected to be medically qualifies he should be aware of basic precautions if you flag up a potential injuury to him.

I run a dance/drama school and we have to have professional indemnity insurance which covers us if for example one of the dance teachers cocks up and allows/makes a student do something unsafe whilst dancing.

Of course injuries happen, it is part of sport/dance but in this case it seems like it is due to unsafe practice.

Does he work through a particular gym/venue or is he freelance. if so is he affiliated to any professional body (eg dance teachers are associates of ISTD or RAD etc.)

gymbunnynot Mon 22-Nov-10 10:23:15

It is his gym. I did 18 sessions. He states there were 'issues' in 11 of these and the sessions had to be curtailed, but as to what he means I have no ideal as I worked my butt off!

elphabadefiesgravity can I ask, one of the things he has thrown at my is that I didn't give him my doctors name and I didn't write something on my declaration form.

At the time of filling the form in, I hadn't registed with a doctor, I did the next day but forgot to tell him and he never asked me.

The conditions I didn't put on the form was because we were in an hour long consultation and I asked to discuss them as it was too complex to write down on a form.

I have been totally upfront with my sitaution but am I wrong?

He swears blind he didn't push me hard on the weight, the weights were not heavy which to say he is lying is putting it mildly. He has in the past congratualted me on being very strong and being able to lift much heavier weights than his other clients!

If I can find out his affiliations do I go to them?

Memoo Mon 22-Nov-10 10:25:15

I was just having a read through your other post on this and you did say in it that you had a history of injury. Maybe with this in mind you should hvae stopped when you started to feel discomfort.

gymbunnynot Mon 22-Nov-10 10:26:56

Casserole, no rock climbing here! The injury flared up within 24 hours of the session. I sought treatment straight away with a sports therapist how is very clear in his diagnosis that the likely cause is over training with heavy weights.
The therapist has also told me that he has told the trainer this and that the trainer is denying it.
The therapist has also said that I am not the first person to have had an injury via this trainer but he doesn't want to get involved.

gymbunnynot Mon 22-Nov-10 10:28:09

Yes, I do have injuries but the trainer said that I needed to build muscle to avoid injury. This is why I was doing this with a trainer and not on my own so that I didn't hurt myself.

ivykaty44 Mon 22-Nov-10 10:29:56

which session did you have the flare up within 24 hours?

gymbunnynot Mon 22-Nov-10 10:33:47

The last one. The session was a particualar upper body work out

thesecondcoming Mon 22-Nov-10 10:35:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ivykaty44 Mon 22-Nov-10 10:43:38

So you have done 17 sessions with this pt and you have another 6 booked and you want the money back for the next 6 sessions booked as he has casued injury on the 18th session?

What are his reasons for not returning your sessions fee?

TBH I would email and just explain you would like a refund for the 6 sessions you have had 18 and have now got an injury please leave cheque at reception for you to collect thanks

gymbunnynot Mon 22-Nov-10 13:26:55

Thesecondcoming, I am probably guilty of 'oversharing' I do wear my heart on mysleave somewhat.

Haven't had any cancelling etc and he is denying the cause of the injury.

Funnily enough I have just been given a written copy of the therapist report that he sent to the trainer, clearly stating the cause. The trainer has told me that the therapist hasn't said this so I think now he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

booyhoo Mon 22-Nov-10 13:34:22

what did he say about your child?

NellieForbush Mon 22-Nov-10 13:55:21

So he knew you had a pre existing condition because you discussed it with him (although you didn't write it down)?

What was his response to your complaints of tingling in your arm? How did he explain this?

Did you say to him during the session when you hurt yourself words to the effect "This is hurting" and get a response along the lines of "keep going"?

Babbit Mon 22-Nov-10 14:03:00

You must go to your GP, if you haven't already (although it sounds like you have) and give a full history.

Thereafter, seek legal advice from a firm of soliciotrs who carry out work on a conditional fee basis for personal injury claims - there are loads about. They will correspond on your behalf and write a proper letter of claim (if they agree you have a possible claim) and the matter will be referred to his public liability insurers. There is not point engaging in silly correspodence with this man.

gymbunnynot Mon 22-Nov-10 14:04:17

Yes, he knew everything about me!

With the tingling, he said you need to build the strength in the arm. He said 'oh it could be a trapped nerve' but he never said we should stop. I don't understand the implication of what problems trapped nerves could cause until it really went wrong.

I told him many times, I am struggling, my fingers are numb and we kept going.

Knowing what I know now, I should have stopped but I didn't know that I was heading for such a problem.

As for my child, he made comments about his type of schooling (I don't want to be specific as it makes us quite identifyable) and another comment which I can't repeat.

booyhoo Mon 22-Nov-10 14:24:34

well, that is quite out of line for him to bring your son's schooling into any sort of professional dispute.

thesecondcoming Mon 22-Nov-10 14:25:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now