Talk

Advanced search

for still having a comforter at 27 years of age?

(71 Posts)
Lynzjam Sun 21-Nov-10 14:43:53

So it started when I was a baby. My mum would line my cot with a pillowcase so that when I was sick she could just whip it out instead of changing the bed clothes in my cot. I still sleep with a few of those said pillowcases!

I'm hoping my 10 week DD will become attached to a comforter too!

Anyone else still have their comforter?

PinkieMinx Sun 21-Nov-10 14:45:38

No I am an adult hmm

MassiveKnob Sun 21-Nov-10 14:46:13

pmsl

BangingNoise Sun 21-Nov-10 14:46:28

Yep smile And I'm 32.

brokeoven Sun 21-Nov-10 14:49:21

suck my thumb at 40.
cant sleep without it.

BooBooGlass Sun 21-Nov-10 14:51:27

For a minute OP I thought you may have been my best friend shock
But she doesn't have a baby, but does indeed sleep with her childhood comforter. She takes it on every holiday too grin

juneybean Sun 21-Nov-10 14:52:13

Suck my thumb at 25! My brother is 30 and still sucks his

muggglewump Sun 21-Nov-10 14:54:26

Yep, and I'm 32.

twopeople Sun 21-Nov-10 14:56:39

Message withdrawn

HecateQueenOfWitches Sun 21-Nov-10 15:01:54

I still suck my thumb too. blush

I would say it's only a problem if you need it, if you can't sleep without it, suffer anxiety if you don't have it, etc, then I'd say you've got a problem you could do with sorting out.

Mumcentreplus Sun 21-Nov-10 15:12:08

<whispers> me too in my sleep blush

katiepotatie Sun 21-Nov-10 15:17:55

I never had one, dd always likes a small pram sheet to go to bed with still, she's 3. Ds has a small bear holding a blanket, I have actually sourced another one on ebay and stashed it, should it ever get lost grin

lucy101 Sun 21-Nov-10 15:20:33

I have a friend who still has a blanket at 27. I don't think it's a problem... but I do think it is odd that you would want your DD to be attached to one too, that seems a bit of a projection of your own needs/memories and not necessarily in her best interests.

2blessed2bstressed Sun 21-Nov-10 15:23:33

I have the pyjama case my grandad gave me when I was 8, under my pillow. I'm 45 blush. However, I don't take it out from there, and probably wouldn't notice til I changed my bed, if someone else moved it.
Katiepotato - word of warning. My ds1 has a "Shaun the Sheep" which goes everywhere with him. I too sourced a replacement, but when we temporarily mislaid Shaun and I whipped out the replacement I was fixed with a gimlet stare and asked "where's the REAL Shaun"!

mumbar Sun 21-Nov-10 15:24:28

<tucks comforter under pillow telling OP of course not - I'm 30> grin

katiepotatie Sun 21-Nov-10 16:21:06

2blessed2bstressed - I have given him the new one, he didn't notice going to do swapping them when washing, so hopefully he'll never know. He is only 18 months at the moment. But so attached to it already

MittzyBittzyTeenyWeeny Sun 21-Nov-10 16:28:59

Sort of but not from childhood. I have a furry blanket that I have to be able to touch or hold when I am going to sleep.

It has passes on to DC's a little because I used to have something soft and snuggly when I was nursing them so they are both very tactile. It hurts no one and I haven't even seen it as a problem

Kalypso Sun 21-Nov-10 17:58:56

I still have my blanket at 28.

One of my friend's brothers still has his comforter at 23.

We're both reasonably normal!

SoMuchToBits Sun 21-Nov-10 18:04:39

I don't have a comforter (I had a muslin cloth called "Pooky" as a child, but gave it up when I was about 8). However, I do still have my teddy bear (Tubby) from childhood. He only sleeps in my bed if dh is away, but I take him on holiday when I go anywhere.

Ds has some little white socks which he snuffles/nuzzles (we call it snuzzling). He has several pairs, so has clean ones each night. Also always goes to bed with his favourite teddy in an armlock. He is 9.

SoMuchToBits Sun 21-Nov-10 18:05:26

But YANBU. smile

moomaa Sun 21-Nov-10 18:08:31

I do, am a bit blush but it it makes stress melt away and it's better than using drugs or alcohol!

My DD (2) is very similiar to me and has one, DS (3) is not bothered. I didn't try and influence either of them.

nzshar Sun 21-Nov-10 18:33:06

I dont but ds has muslin cloths and a plefora of soft toys but "bunny" is the favourite, he has had bunny since he was 5 months old and will not sleep without her. And yes it is a her! He never had a dummy (spat it out when we tried) so I am glad he has found something to comfort him. He talks to bunny about all kinds of things (have sat outside his room and overheard) and to this day I think it helps him make sense of things that have happened throughout the day to say things out loud (we all need that sometimes without the judgement don't we?). BTW he is 6 and a half

soggy14 Sun 21-Nov-10 18:34:00

my sister sucks her thumb (43)

ArentFanny Sun 21-Nov-10 18:35:09

I still have a pillowcase and I was 40 this year blush

LadyInPink Sun 21-Nov-10 18:47:59

All my family had comforters as LO's (I am one of 6) and i was the last to give it up around age 23 but then met my now DH age 24 and he would go away on cruises for work and so i would snuggle his bedtime T-shirt as it smelt like him. When he returned i would still try and snuggle it so one night he took it off and gave it to me and i had it for years.

Had DD age 29 and she got very attached to her muslins cloths (from 2 mths)which she called Ni-Ni's but as she sucked her thumb as well we had to encourage her to give them up so she gave them to Santa two years ago age 4 in exchange for extra presents and hence the thumb sucking stopped a few months later age 5. Now she is 6 she has started rubbing her duvet edge against the bit between her lips and nose (which is how she snuggled with her muslins). I haven't stopped her as i think it sweet and she also will get a sock to "niffle" as a comforter too which her friends find a bit funny but she doesn't care. I haven't actively encouraged a comforter but didn't ever stop her either and she slept through from a very young age because she had this comfort i think. I had to give up my T-shirt when she did when she was 4 and i was 33 as it wasn't showing a good example. i know where it is but don't use it but it's comforting to know that it is there if i ever do grin

YANBU smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: