Talk

Advanced search

to think maybe some members of the tory party now post on mumsnet

(32 Posts)
southeastastra Sun 21-Nov-10 11:59:53

'cause it's got alot more right wing that it used to be before general election

SuePurblybiltByElves Sun 21-Nov-10 12:01:05

Has it? General feeling or specifics in mind?

Batteryhuman Sun 21-Nov-10 12:03:02

I would say there are a few very vocal defenders of the government policies who jump on any crticisms but no more than before the election. Some of the attacks are maybe a bit harsher and tend to get personal more quickly.

Itsjustafleshwound Sun 21-Nov-10 12:04:28

Not enough Tory bashing threads???

Why do you have to be a member of the Tory party to have right wing views??

AlpinePony Sun 21-Nov-10 12:09:12

biscuit

southeastastra Sun 21-Nov-10 12:09:39

i think maybe it is the harshness of some of the posts i dunno, i just find it so depressing.

generally tories are more right wing aren't they and why the???? i'm only asking a question

AlpinePony Sun 21-Nov-10 12:10:10

I retract my biscuit. It's daft, twatty threads like this which push me a step closer to taking out full membership of the Tory party.

AlpinePony Sun 21-Nov-10 12:11:16

Seriously though, does it matter wrt political allegiances? Wasn't it rumoured Sarah Brown posted on mn? Should she not be allowed? Or is it "OK" because she's left-leaning? confused

southeastastra Sun 21-Nov-10 12:11:42

wtf?

ccpccp Sun 21-Nov-10 12:12:04

u tories R cnuts

PrematureEjoculation Sun 21-Nov-10 12:14:44

i like being a cnut. he was a king, innit.

usualsuspect Sun 21-Nov-10 12:16:06

They have all crawled out the woodwork on this thread SAE grin

SuePurblybiltByElves Sun 21-Nov-10 12:18:09

Oi, watch it US. I'm not a Tory, I have a Greenish tinge grin

Chil1234 Sun 21-Nov-10 12:24:13

Those that dare to post on MN in favour of more right-wing policies - whether they are Tory or not - still have to have a pretty thick skin as they get howled down, insulted and sworn at as standard. As a result, the more moderate poster is discouraged from posting, the debates become rather dull/one-sided/predictable and the only ones prepared to engage are the ones with more extreme views.

onimolap Sun 21-Nov-10 12:27:19

So what if there are?

Shouldn't views be debated on their merits? I would be unhappy with something that approached censorship that made only certain opinions acceptable.

TrillianAstra Sun 21-Nov-10 12:28:44

Since there are a few hundred thousand members of the Conservative Party in the UK I expect some of them already posted on Mumsnet.

southeastastra Sun 21-Nov-10 12:34:21

fgs i am saying it just seems to be much more political and biased that it used to be!

and was wondering if anyone else felt the same.

i'll go back to my real life now

southeastastra Sun 21-Nov-10 12:34:51

and posters are alot more arsey than they used to be!

goes to netmums

purits Sun 21-Nov-10 12:35:15

Great political analysis there, sea.

The country as a whole used to be leftish hence we had a leftish Government. The country saw the error of its ways grin and we know have a rightish Govt. If the electorate as a whole swung to the right, doncha think MN might also swing to the right?

purits Sun 21-Nov-10 12:38:22

now

Chil1234 Sun 21-Nov-10 12:39:20

I think the truth is that 'politics' is a lot more interesting these days than in the past. Since the advent of Tony Blair you'd have struggled to put a credit card between the policies of the main parties. Everything was pretty bland and people switched off politics in droves. Now the Coalition is having to take unpopular and radical steps to correct the economy... steps which affect a lot of people in the pocket... suddenly everyone is more exercised and excited about the whole thing, including MN members.

'Political apathy' was the problem up to now.... don't think it'll be an issue in the next election

Itsjustafleshwound Sun 21-Nov-10 12:42:42

You did ask! AIBU as a thread title isn't exactly the way forward for a reasonable debate ...

happiestblonde Sun 21-Nov-10 12:42:45

I'm a member of the Tory party.

animula Sun 21-Nov-10 12:44:05

I detect a bit of a change, too, southeastastra, but I suspect some of it is down to a cultural shift.

I'm old enough to remember growing up under La Thatch, and one of the big things, for me, was the change in public discourse during those years, and then a major change during the Blair years.

For me, one of the things I was dreading with the change of government was the transformation of public discourse. I think I'm more at home with a fuzzy, generally-dispersed leftie-liberalness, so I'm expecting a feeling of being slightly "un-homed" over the coming years.

Basically, the right have been voted in (just), so ... I think we can expect a rise in right-ist discourses. Mn is still pretty liberal, though.

huddspur Sun 21-Nov-10 12:51:42

I don't think so, the majority of political posters on MN are still Labour supporters.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: