Talk

Advanced search

to expect a 'thank-you'?

(11 Posts)
MrsFruitcake Sun 21-Nov-10 09:13:57

Story is as follows: Had a lovely pram, cost £600 new (purchased over the course of 6 months, not paid for all at once you understand), the all singing, all dancing sort, with a car seat too. Used it for 11 months, then got a smaller car so switched to a stroller. It was still immaculate at this point, looked new in fact.

About this time, someone in my family who lives a long way from me got pregnant and made it clear she didn't have much cash. I asked her if she'd like the pram and she said yes. I arranged for it to be freighted to her house, at my expense.

When she got it it, all she did was send me a message via Facebook saying it had arrived, no thank you or anything.

I didn't expect her to make a fuss, but a thank you card in the post is what I'd have sent and I assume anything less to be poor form.

So am I right to feel a bit miffed about this?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 21-Nov-10 09:15:46

yes you are right!

are they generally spoilt and entitled?

ShanahansRevenge Sun 21-Nov-10 09:17:24

Some people just haven't been brought up to do these things instinctively....some people expect rather than feel grateful when they are given something.

Forget it...pram is gone and the person was rude.

CocoPopsAddict Sun 21-Nov-10 09:18:30

You should write back on facebook and say 'So is that a thank you then?'. YANBU.

Tarlia Sun 21-Nov-10 09:19:39

That was very kind of you. Tbh, I'd not expect a card, a phonecall would have been appropriate. Very rude of them!

Rockbird Sun 21-Nov-10 09:21:32

No YANBU. If someone had sent me an almost new pushchair I would be raining cards and chocs upon them. Much tugging of forelock and thanking at least is required. My aunt sent me a couple of new dresses for dd when she was a baby. I genuinely thought I had sent a card but months after, via my cousin, she was casually asking if I received them. I was mortified. Two lines on a notelet and a stamp is easy enough for anyone to do (except me, obviously!)

screamingskull Sun 21-Nov-10 09:24:55

don't know if i'd expect a card, but i would have liked some form of thank you.

do not offer them any of your other stuff as they may expect just to get that too. sell it on or gift to someone who will appreciate it.

Yanbu. I have just had DD and lost my thank you list did the gifts, am having pangs of guilt that I might not remember to send thank you cards to the right people.

beebuzzer Sun 21-Nov-10 09:29:56

YANBU For most of us it would have come naturally. Shame you didn't sell it instead and get some cash for it.

.....or maybe she is arraging for some lovely flowers to be delivered to your doorstep in the morning??!!

LittleMissHissyFit Sun 21-Nov-10 10:26:33

FB her back and say to her to take good care of it, because you need it back for a relative who will be very grateful for it.

taintedpaint Sun 21-Nov-10 11:52:25

I'm with LittleMiss on this one. Tell her you will need it back.

And to answer the actual question, no, YANBU. In that instance, I would probably telephone rather than send a card, but I would definitely do something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now