Talk

Advanced search

to want to be alone?

(20 Posts)
TheLogLady Sat 20-Nov-10 11:50:52

I am never alone. except driving to adn from work.

I have never lived alone.

I am either at work or at home with DH, DDs, assorted cats and dogs always around.

About once a fortnight there is maybe a window of about an hour when there's nobody else at home but not often or for long enough. very very occasionally i'll get an evening alone when DH and the DDs have gone out.

It's driving me nuts. I need a couple of days of peace and quiet.

BangingNoise Sat 20-Nov-10 11:51:40

yanbu at all. I think fondly of the few months when I lived alone (even though I hated it at the time).

quiddity Sat 20-Nov-10 11:53:26

Can we swap? I work part-time in an office with two other people, have a DD who spends part of the time with her father, have no DH, no pets and and no friends to speak of. I'm always alone. I can'r bear it, but I have to.

southeastastra Sat 20-Nov-10 11:55:18

your log must take up alot of time too, can you not put it in a creche?

TheLogLady Sat 20-Nov-10 11:56:08

it is mad. the very occasional days i get to myself i'm bored and lonely within 3 hours and want them all back again.

TheLogLady Sat 20-Nov-10 11:56:53

my log is quiet.

togarama Sat 20-Nov-10 11:57:09

YANBU.

I've heard that there's some places where you can book and just go specifically to be alone for a few hours/days and think. It sounds very tempting and I'm thinking of taking a day off work to do just this.

They're usually run by religious orders but you don't have to be religious to use them.

fluffles Sat 20-Nov-10 11:58:32

i run alone - i love it, half an hour of just me and running becomes a meditation. why not take up something similar?

TheLogLady Sat 20-Nov-10 11:59:46

i have a week off booked in january. DH will be at work and the DDs in school. am considering a couple of days away alone. where shall i go?

TheLogLady Sat 20-Nov-10 12:01:28

hmmm. could do fluff. used to run a million years ago. am old and fat now with knackered back (and toe) but worth considering,

needafootmassage Sat 20-Nov-10 12:02:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheLogLady Sat 20-Nov-10 12:05:03

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

tha's the noise i just made thinking about thatt.

Ilythia Sat 20-Nov-10 12:14:02

Agree with running. I haven't been able to for ages and that 40 minutes of peace was worth the muscle ache anyday!

Vallhala Sat 20-Nov-10 13:03:09

I feel your pain. I'm a lone parent and since July haven't had any time alone apart from dog walking owing to my daughter being fecked around by the local LA who are unwilling to bother to place her in a school.

I was brought up alone and so I am used to an independent life. I just don't like having people around me but there's no escape. My only solace are my dogs and even then I really don't want to meet and talk to other dogwalkers!

I'd kill to go to a retreat.

Actually, atm, I think I could just kill...

epicfail Sat 20-Nov-10 13:29:18

Are you me OP? You could be.
I am going insane since going back to full time work two years ago. I am never alone in my house and I cant stand it. I do get to pop out here and there on my own - but I am desperate for some quiet time in my own home.

It is becoming a really big issue for me.

Meglet Sat 20-Nov-10 13:31:04

yanbu.

dandycandyjellybean Sat 20-Nov-10 13:43:02

me too me too me too....
dh is disabled, at home all the time. Ds is homeschooled, which I love. Always have houseful of people, mates visiting dh or rellys or friends. Most of the time I love that we have such a busy house/life...but I do yearn for some total peace at home alone. Occasionally dh will take ds somewhere for an hour and most Saturday's he will go to the pub in the evening, so at least get time to myself then.

But occasionally the idea of a couple of days completely on my own...bliss!!!

Man, I'm loving those dot dot dots today grin

staranise Sat 20-Nov-10 13:47:13

You could be me - I have a small house, three noisy children, noisier extended family. I have to fight the urge to lock myself in a wardrobe. I used to find that doing yoga helped enormously but now can't find the time to do that. I stay up late at night just to enjoy the quiet - and even then, there's always the radio on etc etc. I want to read Sara Maitland's book on silence - jsut thinking about it makes me calmer!

minipen Sat 20-Nov-10 16:18:27

A mumsnet retreat? I am reading the weight of silence at the moment the title I love more than the book.

staranise Sat 20-Nov-10 16:30:31

I dream about living in a cold wintry empty landscape because they just look so silent. I'm also thinking about investingin some super smart enormous headphones to cut out the constant buzz of our house - but then DH accuses me of being anti-social, can't think why grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: