Talk

Advanced search

To think there should be rules about being offered a seat!

(21 Posts)
GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Fri 19-Nov-10 13:20:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NordicPrincess Fri 19-Nov-10 13:25:12

i often say no if im offered a seat because i have children with me and there are other old people standing further away up the bus.

But otherwise i know what you mean!

taintedpaint Fri 19-Nov-10 14:26:16

I sometimes get the bus as my DNephew loves it and I will accept a seat if offered as I am quite visibly pregnant and accompanied by an overexcited four-year-old. I always look around to see if there is an elderly person standing, as I think they are almost always more deserving than me.

But I also know what you mean!

PinkieMinx Fri 19-Nov-10 14:33:21

YANBU - I said no to an elderly gent - he didn't like to see a lady standing. I felt bad after as it was like I was saying he was too old to stand.

zukiecat Fri 19-Nov-10 15:52:09

sims2fan Fri 19-Nov-10 15:59:30

I know what you mean. I think less people offer seats these days because too many people say no to them, and they won't risk 'offending' anyone again. My mum is in her late 60s and always says yes if a seat is offered, even though she is very sprightly for her age and in her mind doesn't need to sit down, because she wants to ensure that those people are encouraged, and continue offering them to people, as some might need it more than she does. She was once on the Tube with a group of similarly aged friends and a few people got up and offered them seats. One woman took 'offense' and gave the young guy a bit of a mouthful, 'how dare you suggest I'm too old to stand' etc. My mum was ever so embarrassed for the poor guy and had words with the woman when they got out at their stop.

irishma Fri 19-Nov-10 16:05:17

I always get the bus as I cant drve and when I was obviously and very heavily pregnant I was never offered a seat and now that I use a walking stick I dont get offered a seat either!!!

Having said that I would give up my seat for any one who reasonably needs it but resolve th problem by sitting near the back so no one will come down that far...It does annoy the schol kids I teach though cos they cant bitch about me..Im pretty sure they take a later bus to avoid me!

LaWeaselMys Fri 19-Nov-10 16:06:04

DP had a very polite row over whether he should sit with toddler with a very insistent elderly woman (both wanted other to sit!)

It was all a bit pointless on reflection.

irishma Fri 19-Nov-10 16:09:39

I have had perfectly able young people telling me to sit DS who is 4.5 on my laps and give them his seat..eh I paid for his ticket he gets a seat..Id move him for someone who needs it not who want it...

Mowiol Fri 19-Nov-10 16:20:06

It is difficult isn't it? On the occasions when we have been on the Tube or Metro during trips on holidays to London or Paris my DH always offers seats to elderly, pregnant etc.
I remember years ago when we had a long weekend to London and he offered his seat to a young woman with a wee toddler (very busy train) - the look of pleased surprise on her face!

complexnumber Fri 19-Nov-10 16:30:15

I am dreading the day when some kind and thoughtful young soul offers me their seat.

It will be the nail in the coffin (hmmm, possibly not the most acceptable metaphor) of my impression of myself being all young and spritely.

Should I be offered a seat, I think it would be downright rude not to accept, however painful that decision may be.

complexnumber Fri 19-Nov-10 17:40:00

I remember a long, long time ago boarding a bus as a teenager dressed in lots of studs and possibly intimidating attire.

I sensed hostility.

However, once I had given my seat up to someone else, the whole bus seemed to suddenly fall in love with me. Complete over reaction! But maybe understandable, I was v. scary.

Nancy66 Fri 19-Nov-10 17:46:11

i was offered a seat a while ago by a bloke who clearly thought I was pregnant (I'm not - I just don't have a flat stomach)

so I took it - and because I didn't want him to realise his mistake and be embarrassed, I felt compelled to them make my stomach stick out even more.

cat64 Fri 19-Nov-10 17:57:52

Message withdrawn

BeenBeta Fri 19-Nov-10 18:13:46

When I hit 40 a 15 yr old girl stood up and offered me her seat on the bus. I didnt know where to put myself. I thanked her but refused as I am not old yet was only going a few stops. blush

cupofcoffee Fri 19-Nov-10 20:47:46

Why do people need to offer their seats so often anyway? I'm not saying they shouldn't if there is no room and someone who needs it more gets on but just don't you think the transport companies should have more availablity during busy times? I mean there is all the fuss about car seats for children but it is ok for them to be wobbling about stood on a bus?

NorwegianWould Fri 19-Nov-10 20:53:38

cupofcoffe - have you seen transport in London during rush hour? Sometimes have to wait for two tube trains to pass through before there is room to sqeeze on at all?

cupofcoffee Fri 19-Nov-10 21:00:18

Yes I've seen the London transport, don't live there but visit quite frequently. When I am using the tube in London I do think to myself that it must be a nightmare to have to get through that rush daily to get to work and back.

chitchat09 Fri 19-Nov-10 21:17:21

I remember getting on the tube for 1 stop while heavily pregnant and being offered a seat. I would smile gratefully, say 'thank you so much, that's very kind of you, but if I sit down there's no way I'm going to get back up again so I think I'd better stay standing!!!' grin

Scarabeetle Fri 19-Nov-10 21:30:17

Someone sat on me on the tube today. She was angling for the seat next to me and a poor old man beat her to it. So she thought she could 'squeeze in' to prove her point but landed on me. I told her to get off! Then she sat next on another free seat and had a pathetic puff on an inhaler.

Had I been pregnant I would have broken her leg.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Sat 20-Nov-10 21:15:00

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now