Talk

Advanced search

To be curious what you would tell your 16 yr old self now?

(288 Posts)
WannabeNigella Thu 18-Nov-10 22:26:12

Just wondered really, if you could just pass on one little nugget of wisdom to yourself at 16, what would it be?

Inspired by a trending topic on Twitter just in case any of you saw it.

Mspontipine Thu 18-Nov-10 22:28:53

Bloody hell stay away from boys, work harder at your A levels than you've done in your O levels and go to University. You'll have a ball if you put a bit of effort in too

SuePurblybiltByElves Thu 18-Nov-10 22:31:23

Do not leave home and live with your boyfriend. He's a fuckwit. Ditto the one after that. Ditto. Ditto. In fact, get thee to a nunnery grin

WannabeNigella Thu 18-Nov-10 22:31:48

I am always amazed at how mature I thought I was at 16/17. Really thought there was nothing I could possibly be told I didn't already know. Now, in my 30's, I can't believe how wrong I was. That just makes me feel older!

taintedpaint Thu 18-Nov-10 22:33:39

Work much harder at school, you boy-crazy lazy-ass fool. grin

Don't do drugs or sleep with unsuitable people.

Dance to your own beat and don't listen to peer-pressure.

Tortington Thu 18-Nov-10 22:33:43

don't get engaged this year, married next year and have a baby the same year before you are 18.

Do, work hard ame your own money and marry someone with money - not a poor person, you might not be happy, but you wont be happy being poor either.

Vallhala Thu 18-Nov-10 22:33:54

If it in involves family in any way whatsoever ... AVOID IT LIKE THE BLOODY PLAGUE!

shelscrape Thu 18-Nov-10 22:35:52

Don't listen to you mother! Choose your own life path

MixedClassBaby Thu 18-Nov-10 22:35:56

Don't inhale.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 18-Nov-10 22:37:24

you are thin and beautiful

appreciate it while it lasts

MistsAndMellow Thu 18-Nov-10 22:38:13

Get some nice photographs taken now while you have unlined skin and as much sleep as you can handle.

I have none of me from the age of fourteen to twenty due to crippling shyness.

ConvexBetty Thu 18-Nov-10 22:39:01

When the night comes when you are sitting on the bench and you are trying to finish it with him, and his eyes are sparkly with tears, GO WITH YOUR GUT AND DO IT.

Ishtar2410 Thu 18-Nov-10 22:40:53

Report your English teacher for being a bully. Don't let him get away with telling you at every opportunity that you: a) are worthless, b) will not pass your o'levels (actually, got a B and a C for English), c) are completely useless.

Don't worry that you don't have a boyfriend. You'll soon become interesting smile and you'll have to beat them off with a stick!

Work harder at school you idiot (English teachers notwithstanding), then you won't have to spend 7 years getting your degree with the OU.

Oh, and when you're 20 you'll meet a skinny Goth with a motorcycle and a guitar...he's the one.

WannabeNigella Thu 18-Nov-10 22:41:14

Ah Convex, feel like there's an untold story deep in there.

How strange that so many of these wise words invoke boys wink

DinahRod Thu 18-Nov-10 22:41:19

Talk to my mother more and ask her about her life (she died when I was 17).

Stick to your guns about university subject choice and not be swayed by father/teachers who were rather blinded by the thought of Oxbridge.

Dress better grin

WannabeNigella Thu 18-Nov-10 22:42:07

Involve not Invoke!

SuePurblybiltByElves Thu 18-Nov-10 22:44:04

I could go with Baz: www.lyricscrawler.com/song/3953.html
Oddly, I loved this when it came out and I was 18. Clearly I didn't understand it or I wouldn't have made such poor choices grin

WannabeNigella Thu 18-Nov-10 22:44:12

Actually,having considered this, my words of wisdom would be to tell myself to wear a bra! I might not have needed it then but I reckon it may have helped the situation now!

borderslass Thu 18-Nov-10 22:44:20

Stay away from that barstewart who's old enough to be your father he'll only use and abuse you.

Kaloki Thu 18-Nov-10 22:46:04

I'd say;

No matter what everyone else is doing, don't go into sixth form, your mental health is more important. You should not have to deal with a nervous breakdown so young.

Don't be pressurised by the SA one, he doesn't have your best interests at heart. And definitely don't compromise on your Uni choice for him.

Do talk to that gorgeous photographer, he's not out of your league like you think. He will make you very happy.

AbsofCroissant Thu 18-Nov-10 22:46:15

Your mother is barking, ignore 95% of what she says.

Floopy21 Thu 18-Nov-10 22:46:47

Don't run away when your parents get ill, your feelings aren't as important as theirs at that time.

STOP SMOKING NOW, it'll be a cunt to quit in 15 years time.

Don't get that tattoo, it'll look ridiculous when you get pregnant.

Appreciate your looks/body - they're at their peak, trust me, it's downhill from here!

Kbear Thu 18-Nov-10 22:49:24

Don't pine for that handsome soldier.. he has gone and forgotten you already ... (blub).

Don't smoke, it's not cool, it stinks and will cost you dear.

Make the most of having a saturday job, a Monday to Friday job is a helluva lot worse!

Party like it's 1999... every Friday night... oh... I did... grin

MistsAndMellow Thu 18-Nov-10 22:49:35

I was just going to post about smoking too.

God I could give my younger self a proper long ranty lecture grin

southeastastra Thu 18-Nov-10 22:50:45

the hunky sixth former really is not worth it and america is not a lifestyle we should aim for

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now