Talk

Advanced search

To abort my unborn baby if you tell me to?

(133 Posts)
thereistheball Thu 18-Nov-10 17:22:00

Not me! This couple. They are Pete and Alisha Arnold, and she is 17 weeks pregnant. They can't decide whether or not to keep the baby so are putting it to the vote, which closes two days before she reaches 20 weeks.

Some of the site content is down, but they appear to be genuine. I heard about this from Gawker.com Sorry if this has been done before - if so I haven't seen it and am shock shock shock and sad

QOD Thu 18-Nov-10 17:24:45

what the??

JimmyChooChoo Thu 18-Nov-10 17:25:08

That's truly shocking and makes mesad

Thingumy Thu 18-Nov-10 17:27:01

Some sick fuckers out there

thereistheball Thu 18-Nov-10 17:30:00

QOD - they are a couple who have put a website together called birthornot.com, on which the public can vote as to whether they abort their child or keep it. They say that they will not take the final decision as binding but will influence their decision heavily. Their exact words were:

"It's kind of like Congress. They might vote for something, but the president has the final veto. If it's overwhelming one way or the other, that will carry a lot more weight."

HecateQueenOfWitches Thu 18-Nov-10 17:30:26

Oh my GOD.

I hope that is a 'joke' site. Not that such a thing is funny of course, I just mean that I hope it is not real.

Dear lord. That poor poor baby. Either it dies or it is born into a world with them as parents. People who let strangers vote on whether s/he lived or died.

Either way, that poor baby is screwed.

Failsafe Thu 18-Nov-10 17:30:33

How sick are some bloody people in this world! shock

It's got to be some sick "marketing ploy" for something, surely..after having 2 miscarraiges as well, sick sick sick angry

Rockbird Thu 18-Nov-10 17:31:04

Fucking hell. Am speechless shock

Olympickney Thu 18-Nov-10 17:31:49

What a pair of absolute attention-seeking fucking loons.

Thingumy Thu 18-Nov-10 17:31:49

from their site:

'By voting on whether to continue or abort an actual pregnancy, you are doing so much more then simply telling an elected representative your feelings. You are actually changing something in the real world.
What we’ve said our About This Site page still rings true: We would like to keep you informed on our pregnancy as if it was your own; posting our thoughts and feelings as we struggle to make this decision. We would like you to see what we see and feel what we feel. We invite you take this journey with us as we contemplate our own options and encourage you to utilize this site to vote and voice your opinion in a way that will have a real consequence… in a way that truly matters. Here, your vote will not go unheard.'

SuePurblybiltByElves Thu 18-Nov-10 17:31:58

WTF? Will some people literally do anything for fame? Truly sad.

expatinscotland Thu 18-Nov-10 17:32:09

Poor baby. I hope social services finds it if they go through with the pregnancy and give that kid to someone who values it.

SuePurblybiltByElves Thu 18-Nov-10 17:33:17

Is it set up as an Anti thing? So that millions will follow the pregnancy and the baby will become a "look what could have been killed" poster child?

thereistheball Thu 18-Nov-10 17:33:51

Hecate, Gawker.com have spoken to this couple so unless they are also 'joking', it's real.

AbsofCroissant Thu 18-Nov-10 17:34:12

That is sickening. And putting up pictures of the baby as well. Absolutely hideous.

TorcherQueenie Thu 18-Nov-10 17:34:28

They seem to be going for an awful lot of 3D scans it just makes the situation so very much more real. How horrible that they could put the life or death of a baby in other peoples hands. I have nothing against abortion at all but its a descion the parents should be making in regards to whats best for them and the baby. This is just awful sad

Showaddywaddy Thu 18-Nov-10 17:34:42

There was a thread about this earlier I think but not sure where it was.

I hope it's some kind of stunt to garner opinion on abortion. I mean that's a stupid thing anyway but I can't quite believe that anybody would do something so bloody disgusting.

KerryMumbles Thu 18-Nov-10 17:35:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 18-Nov-10 17:35:50

Is there the option to keep the baby and vote these arsewipes off??

thereistheball Thu 18-Nov-10 17:36:05

Sue - Gawker.com wondered that too. This is the end of their article:

We're not sure what to make of Pete and Alisha Arnold, to be honest. But here are three possibilities:

1) It's is an idiotic prank. Pete and Alisha are intent on becoming famous any way they can, and they've hit on an outrageous way to get media coverage. But if this all was a prank, wouldn't they have gotten the word out before now? They've been blogging since September.

2) This is a pro-life stunt. Pete said he's a non-practicing Catholic, while Alisha is a Methodist. Although the Arnolds describe themselves as political independents with Libertarian leanings, Alisha likes Glenn Beck on Facebook, and a Google search turns up an old pro-Bush comment Pete made on CNN. (Pete said he voted for Bush in 2000, but not in 2004.) Could this site be a confused parable to illustrate the peril of putting an unborn baby's life in the hands of voters?

3) It's true. Pete and Alisha are actually going to choose to have an abortion based on an Internet poll.

Regardless of your position on abortion, all of these possibilities suggest these people should never, ever raise a kid.

Broodymomma Thu 18-Nov-10 17:38:00

Today I have just found out my 5th has failed and the 20,000 pound I have spent trying to have a baby has been waisted these people make me sick to my stomach. I didn't think anything could make me feel worse today it makes me so bloody angry

ChickensHaveNoLips Thu 18-Nov-10 17:40:41

This has got to be a pro-life stunt. A really disgusting one.

Sorry Broodymomma

JimmyChooChoo Thu 18-Nov-10 17:41:56

So sorry to hear that Broodysad
Life isn't fair.That stupid evil couple don't deserve to blessed to have a child.
Makes me angry and very sad.

pozzled Thu 18-Nov-10 17:42:08

I don't believe for a second that these people are serious. It must be some sort of stupid pro-life stunt surely?

There is a reference to the fact that she's had two miscarriages in the last year and a half- so they must have been actively TTC?? Surely no one could have three accidental pregnancies in 18 months... and still be undecided about whether to go ahead?

ChippingIn Thu 18-Nov-10 17:42:48

Fucking hell.... they need locking up. Adopt the baby out with no links to this mad fucking pair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now