Talk

Advanced search

To take DD to a football match on a school night?

(12 Posts)
muminthecity Wed 17-Nov-10 23:24:01

DD is 5 and in reception. She is interested in football and has asked a few times before if she can come to a match with me, my sister and my dad. The team we support is about an hour away by train and as they are a premiership team, the tickets are very expensive, so I haven't taken her yet.

However, our local team recently sent a lot of free tickets to the school for an FA Cup game next Tuesday. We have been given 4 tickets. The local team are a smaller, league one team, not known for violence or trouble or anything, smaller crowds etc. The match kicks off at 7.45pm so will finish at around 9.30pm, we will not get home until 10.30ish.

On the plus side, it's something DD has wanted to do for a while, I know she'll enjoy it, it will be exciting to go out on a week night and we will be going with my sister and her boyfriend, who DD adores.

On the other hand, DD is usually in bed by 6.30pm so will be exhausted, and a bit cranky the next day.

What do you think? Would it be unreasonable of me to take her?

mumeeee Wed 17-Nov-10 23:25:54

I think a 9.30pm finish is to late for a 5 year old especially as it will be her first match,

Doodlez Wed 17-Nov-10 23:28:22

Yes, it's unreasonable.

In my opinion.

I think one-off late nights are acceptable for things just cannot happen at any other time - very special events and occasions but a football match - the local side must play on a Saturday sometime. If it's that important to you and her, make it a weekend game.

It might well be a free ticket but my wordy, she will pay - she'll be cold, tired and buggered for school the next day and the next night.

DreamTeamGirl Wed 17-Nov-10 23:29:37

As a one off I would let her go. She can nap on the train going and coming back

That said I wont take my DS to a Premeireship game yet as its just too big and overwhelming, but a league one game sounds fine

musicmadness Thu 18-Nov-10 00:04:11

I'd let her go as a one off, as she has asked a few times she is clearly interested and it would be a nice treat for her.

huddspur Thu 18-Nov-10 00:14:27

Take her, its an experience she'll never forget

onceamai Thu 18-Nov-10 00:25:33

It's a one off. As long as you don't make a habit of it at 5 years old will it really matter if she's too tired to concentrate at or even for school the next day. If she loves it though, next time perhaps you could take her in the holidays.

Vallhala Thu 18-Nov-10 06:57:04

Go for it! It's not something you do on a regular basis and every child deserves a treat now and again.

Have a great time, from a very envious Val.

MeowyChristmasEveryone Thu 18-Nov-10 07:02:49

I'd let her go too. It sounds like you've done a good "risk assessment", and as you say she seems keen.

Now that Prem grounds have so much more seating, it is a lot safer. If you are concerned, have your contact details secured in her coat pocket where she can show it to a steward or copper if she gets split up from you at all, and make sure you have your mobile switched on and turned up!!

muminthecity Fri 19-Nov-10 09:41:44

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this thread! I'm still not 100% decided, but leaning towards taking her.

YellowDaffodil Fri 19-Nov-10 10:00:08

I've taken my DD to mid week matches and she sleeps in the car on the way home. First time she was 4 (and in school). Sleeping in her football kit and having the occasional late night is hardly the worst thing to ever happen to a child.
Go for it, it's a great experience!

tjacksonpfc Fri 19-Nov-10 10:17:01

I went to my first footie match at the age of 3. From that day I went to every game home and away and loved it. mt dcs now go aswell to home games and weekend away ones. they are 6 and 5. we live 1hr 30 from the ground now and the dcs love them. it doesnt affect there school work.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: