Talk

Advanced search

To go to a Virgin Vie 'party' and not buy anything?

(17 Posts)
MooMooFarm Wed 17-Nov-10 13:47:33

Have been invited to one next week. I don't want to go really but feel pushed into it by friend who is worried nobody will turn up!

I don't have any spare cash and don't need anything Virgin-Vie-ish. And a friend of mine works at Boots, so I get to use her big discount so get all the smellies and make up I need through her.

I have (politely) told the friend having the party all this but she wants me to come along anyway to 'make up the numbers'.

So come the night, will it be very rude not to buy anything, or should I stick to my guns?

mistressploppy Wed 17-Nov-10 13:49:42

I think as long as you've made your position clear, then it's absolutely fair enough!

I bet no-one will notice anyway smile

YANBU

PinkieMinx Wed 17-Nov-10 13:50:15

YANBU - don't buy anyhting. You've even told the host you won't be and she wants you there.

Don't get this - I've been invited to a few of these type evenings and would only buy if I wanted something. Have friends who think it's rude not to. Don't get it confused

curlymama Wed 17-Nov-10 13:55:42

Stick to your guns, but be prepared to feel under pressure from the Virgin Vie girl!

I've been to loads of these type of things, and no matter how much I've tried to not buy more crap that I don't need, when the time comes I always feel rude and like I 'should' be buying something.

Be strong!

WhyMeWhyNot Wed 17-Nov-10 13:57:04

I avoid these parties at all costs, hate feeling compelled to buy when either can't afford or don't like anything.
I'm always polite though never truthful and say sorry I'm working that day.
I do shifts and my rota is a closely guarded secret.
I can say I'm working but cocoon myself indoors with some tv and chocolate grin

MooMooFarm Wed 17-Nov-10 13:59:10

Oh piss I just want to stay at home and watch the telly now! Might give it a few days and make a last-minute excuse!

Twilightfan1 Wed 17-Nov-10 13:59:15

YANBU, I have been to loads of different types of parties and not brought anything, and I have also hosted parties and friends have not brought anything. Everyone knows how tight money is at the moment. Go along and have fun and a laugh if you can. But don't worry about not spending anything.

risingstar Wed 17-Nov-10 14:29:14

i have rules for this-

i just say "sorry thats not my sort of thing, but all the best with it" and change the subject quickly.

this was after being invited to a seemingly never ending round of pheonix chuffing cards, some chocolate thing, ann summers and about a dozen others. i inevitably ended up buying some token effort and found it tedious beyond belief- would rather have invested the tenner in the pub with the same people and had a proper laugh.

to make me go all people had to do is confide that they were really worried that no one would turn up, so i developed the above tac-tic. if you are firm about never going to any of them people actually seem to take less offence and eventually stop asking.

jellybeans Wed 17-Nov-10 14:30:34

I always make excuses/decline these types of things, too awkward between friends and stuff way overpriced.

pottonista Wed 17-Nov-10 14:36:48

These kinds of parties, especially when hosted by friends, are a sort of passive-aggressive mugging. I think risingstar's suggestion is by far the most honest and courteous, in the end.

LindyHemming Wed 17-Nov-10 14:38:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PinkieMinx Wed 17-Nov-10 14:41:05

I must be lacking social graces or summat - see nowt wrong with not buying!

CrazyPlateLady Wed 17-Nov-10 15:45:14

YANBU, of course you don't have to buy anything or explain to anyone that you aren't.

They are over priced anyway and the stuff you can generally get the same for cheaper elsewhere.

I went to one recently and there was no pressure to buy anything at all.

FindingMyMojo Wed 17-Nov-10 15:56:12

I agree with risingstar.

party plan selling relies alot on people pressure on the night to participate, contribute, not be left out, to BUY BUY BUY!

I'd say sorry I'm on a "self inflicted no buying freeze until mid December" or something (I do do this BTW) - they'll be pushing Christmas gift for others on you at this time of year.

scoobytoo Wed 17-Nov-10 16:17:58

I definitely would not go, I hate these evenings with a passion.
I would make an excuse but wish the friend luck.

Chandon Wed 17-Nov-10 16:27:37

I went to a couple, but always out of politeness, but I hate the pressure to buy.

I get invited to quite a lot of these things, but just always reply; Sorry, I'm not coming.

Most people accept it, however, one girl is quite pushy and was openly disappointed I "only" bought three things at her last do,so to her I just say: "I am not looking to buy any kitchen stuff right now".

It's easiest to simply not go at all.As otherwise, First the pressure you into coming, then when you're a captive audience they pressure you into buying. If you do not "need" anything, they will say it could be a great PRESENT. Then you feel bad and mean and unsupportive. then you buy some crap you do not need with money you do not have. AVOID!

You might not be able to get out of this one though! But for future reference, just say no.

(In the privacy of my home my blood BOILS at these so-called-parties that are not parties, but a thoroughly middle class exercise in how-to-not-have-fun. The wording on the Jamie Oliver "party" invite is particularly blood curdling.)

octopusinabox Wed 17-Nov-10 16:32:41

If you really don't want to go then don't. I've been invited to a few inc pampered chef but can't afford to buy anything.

I will say that i do like the phoenix cards thing but they only turn up to playgroups rather than hosting parties so no pressure to buy. I've been to an ann summers party and there was no pressure to buy at all - in fact most people didn't (including me). I think it depends on the person doing it and how agressive they are in the sales pitch.

If you do feel obliged to go then just don't take any money, then you can't be pressured into buying anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now