Talk

Advanced search

Not to want to put a massive dead wood pigeon in my bin?

(26 Posts)
Bigmouthstrikesagain Wed 17-Nov-10 11:32:49

... But what do I do with it? Currently it is lying in the front garden and I need to deal - but digging a grave seems extreme (and it's bloody freezing) bother.

SoupDragon Wed 17-Nov-10 11:33:30

Fling it into the road.

CMOTdibbler Wed 17-Nov-10 11:34:35

We chuck things like that in the big hedge tbh

SoupDragon Wed 17-Nov-10 11:34:46

Or make a pie?

PomInTheOven Wed 17-Nov-10 11:34:47

Put it in a carrier bag, twist it above your head in the air until it has a good speed going, let go, job done.

pinkthechaffinch Wed 17-Nov-10 11:36:14

Invite a cat around?

theevildead2 Wed 17-Nov-10 11:36:15

Would be a waste to bin it and bad for the environment. Put it in a bush somewhere and let nature take its course! it wont be there long.

Bigmouthstrikesagain Wed 17-Nov-10 11:45:43

Letting nature take it's course must be the best option but as we have two cats that like to present us with their trophy corpses - I will need to move it to a further hedge or risk seeing it again. Don't relish walking around with the poor thing it is just so big. Shudder. Not generally squeamish but still.

catinthehat2 Wed 17-Nov-10 11:50:06

Do you have a slow cooker? PIgeon is nutritious AND delicious.

HTH

Bigmouthstrikesagain Wed 17-Nov-10 11:51:30

Though spinning and flinging does sound fun Pom hmm grin

Pie is out as I'm veggie. good idea though in these austere times.

theevildead2 Wed 17-Nov-10 11:53:26

I like the idea of one of your cats dragging it back showing off some other cat's handiwork.

Cats really have no shame do they?

LetThereBeRock Wed 17-Nov-10 11:55:37

Eat it? Wood pigeon is lovely.grin

Miggsie Wed 17-Nov-10 11:56:50

Bury it in the veg patch. My veg patch is super prodcutive as it has about 13 pigeons and two cats buried well down and the nutrient release is fab.

KurriKurri Wed 17-Nov-10 12:18:38

I'd say bury it. (Or take the traditional approach and put it on the doorstep of someone you don't like)

WherecanIhide Wed 17-Nov-10 12:37:51

Use a shovel and place it on neighbours' door step grin

ProfYaffle Wed 17-Nov-10 12:39:57

Nail it to the gate as a warning to other wood pigeons.

Memoo Wed 17-Nov-10 12:46:43

Bury it, just make sure you dig a deep enough hole so that any cats don't dig it back up like one did with our gold fish!

clairefromsteps Wed 17-Nov-10 12:50:03

Bury it nice and deep or cats/foxes etc wil be able to smell it. Only thing worse than a dead pigeon in your garden is a dug-up decomposing one.

Or stick it in a bin bag and hurl it in the wheelie bin?

Don't do what I did and chuck it in the compost bin. I lifted the lid a few days later to chuck in some peelings and a trillion trillion maggots swarmed out shock

Chil1234 Wed 17-Nov-10 12:52:51

Stick it onto a shovel and lob it in the bin. It's cold weather so there will be no smells. Burying is far more effort .....

QuintessentialShadows Wed 17-Nov-10 12:53:44

Fling it on the road. Then call your councils refuse collection department, and tell them there is a dead wood pigeon on the pavement.

They will send a special road kill unit around. The normal bin men wont touch it, other than fling it out of your bin, if it smells. Because it should not be mixed with other refuse. And they don't have the proper equipment to deal with it.

This is the advice I got when I found a dead fox under the shed.

hifi Wed 17-Nov-10 13:22:41

lol at proyaffle. we had a dead bird in our garden ,i left it for weeks and it became a skeleton, i then shoveled it into a bin bag.

effymeffy Wed 17-Nov-10 13:25:28

Fling it over the fence

Bigmouthstrikesagain Wed 17-Nov-10 13:25:54

Right - have dug a hole in the garden breaking a spade in the process and narrowly avoided burying Jake from the tweenies with the pigeon (flung in by 2 yo) also aided by 2 yo with plastic spade - also avoided getting my bargain monsoon dress from charity shop muddy but my boots are caked.

Cats now in the garden sniffing the air like bisto kids so if I am visited by a pigeon corpse in the night I will blame youse for guilting guiding me into burying the darn thing!grin but I made the hole deep as I could so fingers crossed.

saorachd Wed 17-Nov-10 13:26:27

It needs a Viking burial being a wood pigeon and all.
Take it to the local boating pond, hire a boat, set fire to it and let it go to Valhalla.

There is a tiny risk of arrest.

catinthehat2 Wed 17-Nov-10 13:28:13

But..but..casserole..too late sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now