Talk

Advanced search

to wish colleagues had some other conversation

(10 Posts)
Fibilou Wed 17-Nov-10 11:14:09

other than what happened on X factor/I'm a celebrity/other shite "reality programme" last night, what is Cheryl Cole doing with her hair and other celebrity nonsense

It's sooo tedious and vapid and is driving me mad. I have moved desk on my return from mat leave, on my old "pod" we had lots of topics of discussion, now it's just inane celeb tittletattle.

SlightlyJaded Wed 17-Nov-10 11:18:03

Can't you try and start a more meaningful conversation? Just see what happens, perhaps there are 'others like you'??

[alien emoticon]

Monty27 Wed 17-Nov-10 11:22:28

I like 'inane celeb tittletattle' at work. I work with a bunch of very bright women that all have a wicked sense of humour. It makes us laugh, not tedious and vapid I hope.

It's a welcome break for us having a laugh.

senua Wed 17-Nov-10 11:26:34

So, Fibilou, what are you having for dinner tonight?

[loses will to live emoticon]

grin

Fibilou Wed 17-Nov-10 11:27:19

i've tried more serious topics but it's pointless as the conversation reverts immediately. They all think I'm a weirdo anyway as I don't have a TV and am not interested in the contents of Heat magazine.

Fibilou Wed 17-Nov-10 11:28:54

and I hate to say it but my other "desk mates" included a couple of men and we had far more interesting conversations about the arts, politics, food, law (i work for the police), all sorts. Now I am with a bunch of women and it's either celebs/telly/children [yawn]

theywillgrowup Wed 17-Nov-10 11:28:57

i know i never have much intrest on these topics,oh and also a group of mums talking non stop about kids

mind you what is there to talk about

lol

ChristmasTrulyReigns Wed 17-Nov-10 11:30:12

Is there any way you can engineer a desk move Fib?

chihiro Wed 17-Nov-10 11:34:00

You have just reminded me of one of the reasons I hated my last job so much!

I remember once trying to change the topic by asking if anyone had seen that documentary about science-fiction on BBC4 last night. Absolute stony silence while my three office colleagues all stared at me open-mouthed.

So not looking forward to the prospect of going back to work.

You have my sympathy

NetworkGuy Wed 17-Nov-10 11:48:12

... and mine ... (re chihiro's sympathy wish)

it's similar if someone (me) has no interest in football, and discussion at the pub wanders onto that... (I like snooker, and enjoy watching rugby and basketball, but cricket and various other sports / things are of little / no interest).

In the past that also included politics, mainly because I was the only one in the office not in the union and not leaning as far left of centre... One guy was in some strongly left-wing faction of Labour, another in CND (while I see nuclear power as necessary, but that's another thread!).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: