Talk

Advanced search

to have challenged this woman on her parking?

(7 Posts)
TwigletMonster Tue 16-Nov-10 13:13:14

There's a crossroads on my journey home. All four roads are marked with double yellows, and one of the roads then sharply goes downhill.

People are forever parking on the double yellows - to go to the cashpoint or whatever. It makes the junction dangerous for drivers (esp. given the hill on one of the roads) and for pedestrians.

So, a lady had stopped about 2 metres from the turning. I turned into the road after her, and then, because of her parked car, I had to stop half in the junction and in the middle of the road to wait for a car to come up the hill.

As the lady was still in her car, I beeped at her. She wound down the window and I did the same - and pointed out it was double yellow lines and dangerous to park there.

She said she's just stopped to talk to her children, who were crying. I understand what it's like to have crying kids in the car, but she could have stopped another 10 seconds down the road in a much safer place for everyone.

Was I unreasonable to point out her unhelpful (illegal?) parking?

idobelieveinfairies Tue 16-Nov-10 13:16:16

YANBU!!

She is putting her childrens (and everyones elses) lives at risk parking somewhere so dangerous. She should have turned the radio up and found a better place to pull over to sorth them out. Well done you for telling her wink.

LadyInPink Tue 16-Nov-10 13:16:58

No, i would have done the same!

Ooopsadaisy Tue 16-Nov-10 13:18:00

It sounds like you were quite reasonable to do this.

When she gets home, calms down from the howling children and thinks back she will probably agree it was a bad place to stop.

She could have caused an accident or caused you to.

I think you were reasonable to beep.

Memoo Tue 16-Nov-10 13:21:10

YANBU just be careful what you say to people though. I onced challenged somebody who had parked in a really bad way and long story but basically it lead to an absolute nightmare that went on for several weeks.

BigWelt Tue 16-Nov-10 13:28:13

It is never acceptable to use your children as an excuse for your own misuse of the road.

TwigletMonster Tue 16-Nov-10 13:35:10

Thanks, I don't think it's was unreasonable of me to challenge her, but maybe unnecessary as she was obviously having a bad day.

But, it's dangerous! People always do it, and it's becoming almost culturally acceptable. There's a cafe (opposite a school) near us where whopping great scaffolding lorries park on the pavement whilst the drivers have a fry-up. Drives me insane, but that council and police seem powerless or disinterested.

It's not far from where I live. Really hope I don't bump into her at a toddler group. I can defend what I said, would rather not have to!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now