Talk

Advanced search

And I may well be....Indian children used in school play

(69 Posts)
TheFeministParent Tue 16-Nov-10 11:11:34

So my ds (9) had a school rememberance assembly, the focus was non British troops, particularly Indian. DS's school is predominantly white (probably 98%) and only one class per year group. In his class there is one little girl with Indian parents, one mixed race boy with a Pakistani father and one Egyptian boy. So when they discussed India two boys from another year were used to represent India...nothing was announced why they were picked for a different year group's assembly and no reference was made about their own heritage (although I assume they are of Indian descent). Am I unreasonable to think that the teacher should have prefaced the assembly by announcing that the children had been asked if they wanted to represent India in another year's assembly? Or am I being a bit over sensitive and ridiculous? My, and other parents, initial response was a bit hmm.

NordicPrincess Tue 16-Nov-10 11:15:26

well maybe those children were asked if they would like to and they said yes. Id certainly like to be picked to represent norway.

Would you feel the same if your children had been piacked to rep uk at an asian or black school? i imagine you would be bothered if they were not chosen

Flisspaps Tue 16-Nov-10 11:16:53

I'd have thought the teacher saying something would have made more of an issue out of it than would be necessary TBH.

TheFeministParent Tue 16-Nov-10 11:18:41

But their parents weren't there! And it wasn't their assembly, it was a different class.

So in essence IABU!!

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 16-Nov-10 11:26:10

IMO, it was better to do that than to 'black up' white children.

mummytime Tue 16-Nov-10 11:31:23

Were they from an older year? Year 6? I would have thought it is quite normal to use year 6 pupils in other years assemblies.

TheFeministParent Tue 16-Nov-10 11:42:24

Never before, but I accept that my unease says more about me than the situation. If the only disabled child was wheeled out to represent a veteran I would have been just as hmm. To be honest as the boys only said one line about a photo they were holding it did seem rather weird and pointless.

pinkthechaffinch Tue 16-Nov-10 11:54:49

I'd be annoyed if my mixed race ds was 'used' in this way so Yanbu.

2shoes Tue 16-Nov-10 11:59:32

yanbu and feels a bit wrong to me,
so can understand how you feel.

TheFeministParent Tue 16-Nov-10 12:02:57

Phew I did think I was being a bit OTT!! If the boys had said that they were proud of these men being Indian themselves or anything I would have been okay with it. But in a not very mixed school I thought they were used.

Casserole Tue 16-Nov-10 12:06:19

Perhaps there was only one assembly with that particular theme, then, if it's not a very mixed school? So perhaps they said to those boys, "Year X are doing an assembly on this theme and one of the countries mentioned is India, we know you're not part of that group but wondered if you wanted to come along" and they said yes?

TheFeministParent Tue 16-Nov-10 12:07:34

Maybe...

phipps Tue 16-Nov-10 12:10:50

I don't see the problem. The assembly was about India and two children were there to show what Indian children look like. confused.

TheFeministParent Tue 16-Nov-10 12:15:29

What? You think Indian children were there to show what Indian children look like, is that supposed to be funny?

phipps Tue 16-Nov-10 12:18:23

No. I really couldn't make out what you were saying and that was all I could come up with. When the kids learn about grandparents in school they look at pictures of older people. confusedconfused

TheFeministParent Tue 16-Nov-10 12:20:46

Hee hee. I can't think of why either!

jessiealbright Tue 16-Nov-10 12:22:59

Hmm, can see it both ways, so...

If it had focused on ANZAC troops, and they'd got an Australian boy from year 6, would you feel the same way? (Not saying you would, or wouldn't. Honest question to help you sort out your reasoning.) If it had been an ANZAC-focused thing, and you were the one and only Australian child in the school, would it upset you not to be included?

(I thought this was going to be a thread complaining about Joseph and Mary being Asian in a nativity play. I'm not sure whether to be glad or disappointed that it isn't.

jonicomelately Tue 16-Nov-10 12:25:13

The school sound like they're trying to be very internationalist in their approach and are promoting the idea that the war wasn't just won by white british people. I think that's great. Why not just be happy about the sentiment rather than find offence in how they did it?

TheFeministParent Tue 16-Nov-10 12:28:30

If it were ANZAC I wonder if they'd ask the Australian.

jonicomelately Tue 16-Nov-10 12:32:58

So are you saying that a school that went beyond what most schools and organisations would do to include other nations in the remembrance are racist?

princessparty Tue 16-Nov-10 12:35:29

Why on earth was the focus on non-British troops? Offensive.

TheFeministParent Tue 16-Nov-10 12:37:37

Nope, I'm saying in some weird PC way the school has needlessly or unjustifiably used children from another year because they were Indian. They should have been thanked or something for coming out and representing India but they weren't. I hope the black children aren't trotted out for an assembly on the slave trade.

DandyLioness Tue 16-Nov-10 12:38:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZZZenAgain Tue 16-Nov-10 12:38:51

I don't really understand what worries about this. I don't think I would have thought twice about it.

Do you feel the dc are being set apart and thus open to some kind of discrimination by being singled out?

Sorry not really getting the point ...

ZZZenAgain Tue 16-Nov-10 12:39:27

oh ok just seen your last post, explains your issue to me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now