Talk

Advanced search

to think if you pay peanuts you get monkies

(23 Posts)
babybarrister Mon 15-Nov-10 21:25:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

salizchap Mon 15-Nov-10 21:29:41

Oh well, looks like I'll never afford to get divorced, then. Just have to be eternally "separated", and live in sin with my future partner.

spidookly Mon 15-Nov-10 21:29:46

Yanbu

at all

Mowiol Mon 15-Nov-10 21:31:37

I always wondered (after watching things like Boston Legal, Ally McBeal etc. blush if UK law firms ever do a quota of pro bono stuff?

(Hope I'm right in thinking this is free legal advice?? Never did Latin!!)

As always, it will be the lower income brackets who suffer.

sparkle12mar08 Mon 15-Nov-10 21:31:51

No, but you might get monkeys...

babybarrister Mon 15-Nov-10 21:36:22

Mowiol Mon 15-Nov-10 21:40:47

Oh...... I understand. I suppose it's the more high profile stuff (like the type of thing that Michael Mansefield does) that publicises a law firm?
Suppose it's decided by the partners etc. too.

babybarrister Mon 15-Nov-10 21:46:48

Mowiol Mon 15-Nov-10 21:49:26

LOL - true!

ccpccp Tue 16-Nov-10 08:12:46

Legal aid was getting out of control though wasnt it?

Maybe your industry could lower its ever increasing charges a little and the problem will be solved?

mamatomany Tue 16-Nov-10 08:15:54

My experience of legal aid was exactly that. The solicitor sent letter after letter, at £35 per time I presume and achieved nothing at all.
I went to another run of the mill family solicitor and gave them £1,000 up front and said that is all I have can you deal with it, they did and gave me change back.
I honestly believe the first solicitor was equally as capable but since the till chimed every time she entered into useless correspondence she was happy for that to continue for ever maybe ?

whatdoiknowanyway Tue 16-Nov-10 09:13:55

hmmm - regarding getting monkeys. Where exactly do you see all the lawyers who previously did the legal aid work getting their work from if they don't do legal aid anymore? There is not an unlimited supply of work out there.

RedHeels Tue 16-Nov-10 09:15:57

All in all, definitely monkeys trying to get experience and in the process fucking up.

Law for All - I got a law student who knew less than I did, in fact she told my the baby was entitled less than the bitch solicitor my EX employed when he found out I was pregnant. Oh and they send me 2 confidential letters meant for other people who used their service. With addresses, details of the cases, the whole lot. I was completely shocked.

Community Legal Advice - they have some gems there although well hidden. By chance I Was put on the phone to someone who knew how the system worked and if I had money I would've been throwing it at her for what she told me.

Chil1234 Tue 16-Nov-10 09:44:31

There will be a lot more 'no win no fee' cases to pick up the slack. Means the litigant will finance more of the costs out of any compensation awarded but should avoid the sillier cases getting to court in the meantime.

mamatomany Tue 16-Nov-10 10:01:26

There is a law being considered at the moment to limit the fees/costs that a solicitor can be awarded in compensation cases. Currently there are set amount so say somebody looses an eye that is worth £5k to the injured party, the solicitor can claim £10k in costs as that is not set or capped and it's all coming out of your council tax and insurance premiums. That has to stop and will be with a bit of luck.

babybarrister Tue 16-Nov-10 10:32:14

racmac Tue 16-Nov-10 10:33:46

I hate all this legal aid lawyers are crap and out for what they can get.

I was a legal aid lawyer doing family law - the amount we received for a straight forward divorce was about £130 - we did far more work than that - as a result i had about 250 cases which was a mix of legal aid and private but not many private.

If a domestic violence case turned up on the doorstep i would drop everything and take the matter over - often dealing with stuff thats not covered by legal aid - counselling them, advising them on who to speak to at housing, speaking to childrens school etc etc - lots o f hours work at a moments notice - with many threats of violence against me for about £800 if i was lucky - if i was doing this privately i would have been charging £3k

I loved doing this work, very passionate about it - lots & lots of lawyers out there enjoy it but you cant do it for free - you still have to pay staff, office costs & indemnity insurance which i a ridiculous amount

mamatomany Tue 16-Nov-10 11:00:44

Nobody's is saying the legal aid lawyers are crap but they do milk the system, they must be otherwise a) why would so many of them offer it and they do up north i could have chosen from over 100 in the yellow pages. And b) why would there be the need to limit it if everyone was playing fairly there should be lots left in the pot shouldn't there, especial since you have to be earning virtually nothing to qualify.
It's another example of benefits being abused by those not claiming them but the end user like landlords.

racmac Tue 16-Nov-10 11:08:19

Well where i am there there are 2 firms in major town ofering it and none in the vicinity - you would have to go to the nearest next town. But there is a demand for it.
Im not up north - im midlands so not that different i would think.

Lots & lots of firms have just lost there franchises for silly reasons - example - firm does lots of legal aid, domestic violence and divorce, contact matters but not very many care matters - but legal aid say that because they havent done a certain % of care work then they will lose the franchise for everything - this is a very good firm who have done legal aid for years and years.

There isnt lots left in the pot because there wasnt enough in the pot in the first place!

If people recover anything from legal aid matters - so for example you recover £5000.00 as a result of the proceeding s you have to pay the legal fees back from the monies you have recovered.

Im not sure how anyone could milk the system to be honest because the rules are so strict and you are audited reguarly - and if you fail an audit you lose the franchise

babybarrister Tue 16-Nov-10 12:12:37

Ashfordgirl66 Tue 16-Nov-10 12:32:17

I think women will be disadvantaged by these proposals, especiallly SAHMs. Their ex-husbands may be able to pay for legal advice and representation in a divorce, but legal aid will not be available to women with little or no income if they have equity in a house. It will not be a level playing field, women will have no option but to represent themselves and will lose out.

princessparty Tue 16-Nov-10 12:33:42

So the poor are being denied justice now sad

babybarrister Tue 16-Nov-10 14:58:02

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now