Talk

Advanced search

To make DH cook the dinner?

(22 Posts)
LoopyLoops Mon 15-Nov-10 18:37:29

I'm a SAHM to a 16 month old, and pregnant again. For the past few days I've suffered from horrendous morning sickness, and can't face cooking. Breakfast and lunch has been a chore, but dinner has defeated me tonight.

He leaves before we wake, works all day, then returns to cook. He has already taken over some of my other jobs (clean washing is making me ill, for example). He does the whole bath, bed thing with DD. I know I'm lucky, and he genuinely doesn't mind, but I feel so guilty.

FancyALittle Mon 15-Nov-10 18:46:53

You're not 'making' him - he's supporting you when you're in need, no doubt you do the same when tables are turned.

To lift and strengthen you when life is hard, and to stand with you. That's what relationships are about.

Don't feel guilty, accept it and welcome it in the spirit it's intended smile

TooBlessed Mon 15-Nov-10 18:49:16

Don't feel guilty,like my husband used to say when i was pregnant,'sit down baby,let me rub your feet,because you have been so busy today,and today is mostly precious because you made a heart for our baby',thats my point,you can't make food,you are carrying a human being,the least our men can do is to help us with chores,,

congratulations by the way.

pinkyp Mon 15-Nov-10 18:49:17

accept it, my dh will help out but 9/10 i get fed up of waiting and do it myself

clam Mon 15-Nov-10 18:50:38

Or you could swap roles. You know, you could go to work, shop, cook, and he could endure the morning sickness and carry a baby to full term.
No? Think he's getting off lightly, to be honest. Cooking and dealing with kids after working all day is no more than millions of women do every day year-in year-out. Sit down, put your feet up and give him a big hug to thank him for being a star though.

TooBlessed Mon 15-Nov-10 18:52:40

oh yes,don't forget to thank him,he is really wonderful,i have read so many negative stories here and yours is a good one,he is just doing what a loving,caring hubby does,,

LoopyLoops Mon 15-Nov-10 18:53:24

Thanks all.

As it happens, I can't even eat the dinner he has so lovingly prepared. A=Walked into the kitchen and the smell made me sick.

I'll try again in a minute...

Squitten Mon 15-Nov-10 18:55:01

You're growing a person - much more important job than making dinner!

Just be sure to thank him for being a good hubbie smile

SkyBluePearl Mon 15-Nov-10 18:55:20

Well it's great to hear you are being looked after - morning sickness is vile!!

minipie Mon 15-Nov-10 18:55:32

Don't feel guilty. As Fancy says, no doubt you'd do the same if he was feeling ill. Just say thank you lots.

porcupine11 Mon 15-Nov-10 19:00:43

Nah, my DH makes supper most nights (though I buy the ingredients), as I work in the evenings and look after our DCs in the day. Just make sure you compliment the meals a LOT, both while eating and afterwards!

GingerGlitterGoddess Mon 15-Nov-10 19:10:53

Oh bless you how horrid. Have you tried super bland food? I lived mainly on bread and cheese and ready salted crisps when I was feeling really sick.

LoopyLoops Mon 15-Nov-10 19:45:36

It's OK, went back downstairs and he'd made the salad, so the kitchen smelled overwhelmingly of cucumber, which was lovely, so I managed to eat.

GingerGlitterGoddess Mon 15-Nov-10 21:15:55

Could you tape a bit of cucumber below your nose to get you through the day then? grin Glad you managed to eat.

LoopyLoops Mon 15-Nov-10 21:50:28

Good idea, like a plague posy?

GingerGlitterGoddess Mon 15-Nov-10 22:53:31

Perfect, in fact why not make it a FEATURE - see pic on my profile ;) Nauseous AND stylish!

GingerGlitterGoddess Mon 15-Nov-10 22:53:54

Sorry that should have been a wink

onmyfeet Mon 15-Nov-10 23:05:20

Aww, that sense of smell when nauseous and pregnant is so difficult. I am sure your dh doesn't mind cooking, it is his part of the pregnancy. Much better than the nausea!

LoopyLoops Mon 15-Nov-10 23:25:56

No profile GGG confused

sunnydelight Tue 16-Nov-10 07:03:41

Be glad you have a DH willing to do it unlike some of the lazy sods people seem to be married to here grin When pregnant with my third I started off not being able to handle fish, then it was red meat, then chicken - by the end I couldn't even peel veg without chucking, bizarre. Luckily DH likes cooking.

larrygrylls Tue 16-Nov-10 08:10:47

Don't feel guilty but do feel and act grateful. He is doing what any decent person would do but that is no reason to take it for granted.

I am sure you will reciprocate when you feel up to it.

I am sure all he is after is a smile and a nice thank you.

GingerGlitterGoddess Tue 16-Nov-10 21:39:36

<sigh> ok I've fixed it [dullard emoticon] grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now