Talk

Advanced search

School Parking

(121 Posts)
ChatTime Mon 15-Nov-10 13:08:52

At my childs school some staff park cars in the school playground this has been given the go ahead by the current head. I have voiced my concern with regard to health & saftey also to the fact that due to major building working going on at school the closure of one entire playground means lack of play space. I had no responce however today i happened to see the Head at school gates and mentioned my concern and that other parents were in agreement with me. Heads responce was she had made the decision that cars can be parked no change will happen and if i didn't like it to take my child to another school. Where do we as parents stand, after all we as Tax Payers pay for the children to play in the playground and not for staff to have their private car park.

meltedmarsbars Mon 15-Nov-10 13:12:45

YABU, the school is having building work done, its not like its a problem they can do much about. I'm sure they have a plan in place when entering/leaving.

Give your kids a good runaround in the park after school if you are so worried they won't have enough space at dinnertime.

meltedmarsbars Mon 15-Nov-10 13:13:19

And teachers cars are sometimes targeted and damaged when parked outside schools.

clam Mon 15-Nov-10 13:14:17

What has paying tax got to do with it?
There are building works going on at the school, so alternative arrangements have to be made, temporarily. I should think that the main risk is unlikely to be that a teacher mows down a child, but that a football lands on someone's windscreen.

c0rns1lk Mon 15-Nov-10 13:14:28

It's not for ever is it? YABU

HotchpotchHoney Mon 15-Nov-10 13:17:05

perosnally i think yabu for being so put out, i can see your pov though. But i also feel the head was bu in the way she answered your complaint.

c0rns1lk Mon 15-Nov-10 13:20:56

The Head is catering for her staff. They need to park on the school grounds. Have you seen how many piles of books etc teachers have to shift about between home and school?

ChatTime Mon 15-Nov-10 13:21:44

Just to make myself clear staff are parking in the playground that is meant for the use of the children. It was never meant to be an area where parking was permited the Head has taken it upon herself to give authorisation. How can that b ok?????

c0rns1lk Mon 15-Nov-10 13:22:50

Because the teachers need somewhere to park their cars. Is there still space for the children to run about? How many cars are there anyway?

Niecie Mon 15-Nov-10 13:24:41

It is OK because it isn't permanent. YABU.

You said the closure of one entire playground. Would I be right in assuming that there is another one?

mayorquimby Mon 15-Nov-10 13:25:48

seems reasonable from the head. Good staff and school management.

scurryfunge Mon 15-Nov-10 13:28:43

It is a temporary arrangement, don't worry so much.

ChatTime Mon 15-Nov-10 13:29:37

There are approx 700 children that had 3 playgrounds now only 2. This parking is not temporary it has been going on for some time before building work started and will continue after work has been completed. There is plenty of parking spaces outside the school site staff are looking at their own convience

meltedmarsbars Mon 15-Nov-10 13:31:14

As other posters have pointed out, the techers have to carry loads of stuff in and out.

meltedmarsbars Mon 15-Nov-10 13:31:27

Arg!

Teachers!

clam Mon 15-Nov-10 13:32:53

"the Head has taken it upon herself to give authorisation."

That'll probably be because she's in charge. And therefore authorised to do so. Who on earth are you to challenge it? Not sure "a taxpayer" will suffice.

scurryfunge Mon 15-Nov-10 13:33:00

If it is a permanent loss of a playground, then you need to address it with the governors. It sounds like a temporary solution to building works tbh.

c0rns1lk Mon 15-Nov-10 13:34:48

Also my car insurance states that car is parked at place of work - not on the road nearby.

ChatTime Mon 15-Nov-10 13:34:58

We are talking about a primary school and i can assure u that teachers have very little that needs to b carried from classroom to car books have the occasional tick but on the whole they stay at school. This has been confirmed by teachers at the school when asked in conversation

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Mon 15-Nov-10 13:35:44

grin clam

c0rns1lk Mon 15-Nov-10 13:36:32

haha - ask any primary teacher how much they carry to and from their cars. It is reams of stuff

meltedmarsbars Mon 15-Nov-10 13:37:50

ChatTime you have obviously never looked at some of the resources teachers bring in. Yes, they may leave the jotters in school, but many have a vast store of books and general "stuff" at home they bring in for certain topics.

YASBU.

clam Mon 15-Nov-10 13:38:52

ChatTime, are you taking the mick and deliberately trying to provoke a reaction?

In which case, biscuit

<<goes back to the 4th set of 30 exercise books to be marked (at home) since Friday>>

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Mon 15-Nov-10 13:40:58

scurryfunge is right, you need to bring this up with the govenors if you're worried that this isn't a temporary situation and that the DCs don't have enough room to play.

It might be that the third playground is redundant, anyway. Perhaps it was impossible to police three playgrounds at once, for example.

ChatTime Mon 15-Nov-10 13:41:22

ok so it seems that i am being unreasonable in my quest to reclaim the PLAYGROUND back for the children to play in even though there is parking outside of the school and even though this area was never intended to be used for parking and even though the Head seems to have complete comtempt that approx 45 - 50% of yr 2 parents agree with me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now