Talk

Advanced search

before I whack DH with my ugly cudgel please tell me I am right?

(25 Posts)
TheLogLady Sun 14-Nov-10 19:28:57

The Cenotaph is in London right>?

A war memorial in a small english market town is not a Cenotaph it is a war memorial isn't it?

Please tell me I am right and how many whacks DH needs?

HecateQueenOfWitches Sun 14-Nov-10 19:30:16

no. you're wrong.

pjmama Sun 14-Nov-10 19:30:33

We have a Cenotaph in our village. That's what it's been called since I was a child, so I'm assuming that it's correct?

Alambil Sun 14-Nov-10 19:30:52

Well I thought this too but then saw the telly on the 11th at 11am and it said The Cenotaph in another city (in N Ireland, I think) .... so maybe there's more than one

wannabesybil Sun 14-Nov-10 19:31:11

Oops - I thought a cenotaph (as opposed to The Cenotaph) was the name for any war memorial.

TheLogLady Sun 14-Nov-10 19:31:54

oh fuck. i'm wrong aren't i?

arse.

can i pretend i am right please?

HecateQueenOfWitches Sun 14-Nov-10 19:32:05

it is. They're all called cenotaphs.

phipps Sun 14-Nov-10 19:32:20

A cenotaph is a tomb or a monument erected in honour of a person, group of people, animals or groups of animals whose remains are elsewhere. It can also be the initial tomb for a person who has since been interred elsewhere. The word derives from the Greek κενοτάφι&# 959;ν (kenos, one meaning being "empty", and taphos, "tomb"). Although the vast majority of cenotaphs are erected in honour of individuals, many of the best-known cenotaphs are instead dedicated to the memories of groups of individuals, such as the lost soldiers of one country or empire.

* 1 Cenotaphs in the United Kingdom
o 1.1 The Cenotaph, London
o 1.2 The Cenotaph, Belfast
* 2 Chhatris (cenotaphs) in India
* 3 Cenotaphs in the rest of the world
* 4 Cenotaphs for the missing

onceamai Sun 14-Nov-10 19:32:25

Not sure but sure it's not going to war over.

nigglewiggle Sun 14-Nov-10 19:32:26

You are wrong - sorry.

Vallhala Sun 14-Nov-10 19:32:27

Erm... as a Londoner I'd always say that The Cenotaph is in London, but a cenotaph can be anywhere. It's a memorial to people or animals when their remains lay buried elsewhere.

Disclaimer: I know that there is a The Cenotaph in Belfast and elsewhere, I'm just a London-aholic.

HecateQueenOfWitches Sun 14-Nov-10 19:32:48

no, TLL. You can't.

Go now to your husband and tell him mumsnet agrees with him.

Report back exactly how smug he is.

SantasNutellaFairy Sun 14-Nov-10 19:33:01

Cenotaph is a word that means "empty tomb" and applies to pretty much all war memorials.

huddspur Sun 14-Nov-10 19:33:05

Your wrong, they are cenotaphs although the one in London is referred to as The Cenotaph.

needtogetalife Sun 14-Nov-10 19:33:31

I always thought a cenotaph was a war memorial that they lay all the poppies and wreaths on for rememberance. most areas have one with local people named on them

Doha Sun 14-Nov-10 19:33:41

Cenotaph here in our town too---sorry but think you should hand that cudgel to your DH and ruuunnnnnnnnn smile

nigglewiggle Sun 14-Nov-10 19:33:50

Yes, of course London is the centre of the universe. All of the other cenotaphs are pale imitations...

Tangle Sun 14-Nov-10 19:34:21

According to Widipedia:

"A cenotaph is a tomb or a monument erected in honour of a person, group of people, animals or groups of animals whose remains are elsewhere. It can also be the initial tomb for a person who has since been interred elsewhere. The word derives from the Greek κενοτάφι&# 959;ν (kenos, one meaning being "empty", and taphos, "tomb"). Although the vast majority of cenotaphs are erected in honour of individuals, many of the best-known cenotaphs are instead dedicated to the memories of groups of individuals, such as the lost soldiers of one country or empire."

So your DH is kind of right (sorry) - but then it depends whether you think there is a difference between "a cenotaph" and "The Cenotaph"...

TheLogLady Sun 14-Nov-10 19:34:44

bollocks. arse. bugger and damn.

i have admitted i was wrong and put down my ugly cudgel. i'm sure i shall need it for later when he does say something wrong.

thumbwitch Mon 22-Nov-10 22:33:43

well done for admitting you were wrong and hope he wasn't too smug about it - my DH would have rubbed it in mercilessly (we are both Always Right About Everything - makes for interesting discussions in our house! Thank goodness for t'internet)

Poledra Mon 22-Nov-10 22:39:20

Haha, Thumbwitch! My DH and his dad are like that - they cannot give up on an argument. The family joke is to call 'Get the book out!' as that was the only way to end one of their 'discussions'. Nowadays, it's more likely to be 'Get the laptop out!'

ChippingIn Mon 22-Nov-10 22:40:36

LOL

floweryblue Mon 22-Nov-10 22:47:09

Well done LogLady for listening to the voices, but remember they always tell the truth, Laura Palmer's killer is still out there (I think) as is all sorts of skullduggerry (no idea how to spell that), do you know where my potato peeler is?

MrsNonSmoker Tue 23-Nov-10 00:25:20

can't you just give him a little tap with it anyway? wink

cheekyseamonkey Tue 23-Nov-10 10:46:40

Damn it, I so wish you were right! LOL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now