Talk

Advanced search

... to be appalled by the waste?

(11 Posts)
RealEyesRealiseRealLies Sun 14-Nov-10 10:56:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lilmamma Sun 14-Nov-10 11:10:46

I read this with intrest,i know its not on the same scale or food,but my husband worked in a place,were they had to dispose of things like hairdye,shoe polish,nail varnish etc,and the aamount,which was chemically destroyed was terrible.

why someone cant sell it on,or give the money to a worthy cause,itslike when a shop selling this stuff goes bankrupt or closes down,the stock is then all thrown away.

oil of ulay creams and soaps and all in date,and sun lotion..

Doigthebountyeater Sun 14-Nov-10 11:13:10

Good post. I entirely agree with you.

RealEyesRealiseRealLies Sun 14-Nov-10 17:25:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lizziemun Sun 14-Nov-10 18:47:49

RealEyesRealiseRealLies

Did you see the BBc Great British waste menu HERE unfortunly it's not available to watch but they have some links you may be interested in.

Most of the supermarkets arguement is that they only sell what 'we' want to buy hmm.

silverten Sun 14-Nov-10 20:05:13

Yup, the waste is unbelievable. DH and I are constantly amazed by people we know throwing away perfectly good food, because it seems to be an inconvenience to keep it.

DH's stepmum is particularly bad- will bin copious leftovers because she doesn't want to use them up in another dish or even simply re-heat them for another meal- yet whiffles on about always wanting to buy local food with low miles. She always buys organic stuff as well so I shudder to think what her food bills are like... tis particularly irksome when she visits as we have to practically chase her round the kitchen after meals to stop her throwing food away, and have plenty of eye-rolling and sighs to put up with as we do it!

DH and I have just had tea of curry from last nights takeaway that we had with a load of mates- none of whom wanted to keep their leftovers! There's another helping, too- so that's three meals of perfectly good food that would have gone straight in the bin...

ApocalypseCheese Sun 14-Nov-10 20:23:43

Yanbu, we have literally no food waste in our house, don't buy anymore fresh food until what we have is used, don't peel potatos or carrots unless mashed / roast and the peel goes to my uncles allotment, other stuff goes down the neck of my rather fat rabbit.

I visited a friend recently who's always pleading poverty she was busy in the kitchen and must have chucked away half of a large joint of pork, stuffing, roast potatos etc, her mum had brought it round and cooked a large family tea there, I was shock at the waste, their must have been at least 3 meals worth.

Her dcs live off shite, el cheapo burgers etc I have been known to take round reduced price fruit i've spotted in the shops to get some vitamin c down the necks of the poor sods.

QueenStromba Sun 14-Nov-10 20:55:05

I hate food waste too so I end up making a lot of soup to use up veg that are on their way out. I accidentally left a bag of spinach out of the freezer the other night when I was trying to fit in the soup I made from the half off pumpkin my housemate brought back from work so ended up making spinach, potato and garlic soup today which was yummy - most people would have just chucked it out.

lizziemun Sun 14-Nov-10 21:27:01

We have hardly any food waste at home, I try to use everything. Don't over buy.

As I said earlier the Great British waste menu programme showed the extent (tonnes) of food being wasted at source before it even get to the supermarket because it' to big, small or not the right shape.

The supermarket buyers, top managers just keep saying that they only sell what us the comsumers want to buy.

For me I do not care what shape, size my veg is as long as it is fresh.

southeastastra Sun 14-Nov-10 21:28:05

i admit to overbuying tomatoes

theywillgrowup Sun 14-Nov-10 21:34:50

totally agree about food waste,we as a family through very little out if at all but i do cook alot and often oook around whats hanging about in fridge

im also as tight as a badgers arse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now