Talk

Advanced search

to think that if your 'D' P/H does something whch sets your teeth on edge you should be able to ask them to stop?

(50 Posts)
TheLogLady Sun 14-Nov-10 10:49:52

without then geting all narky and hurt and poor me-ish?

example:

'D'H rubs his hands together (like some stupid panto character) in glee. It sets my teeth on edge, makes me cringe, makes me nauseous, goes right through me etc etc.

he has just done it right next to my head. I was sitting, he was standing.

I said somewhat sharply 'Please don't do that'

He has gone off in a huff announcing 'There are many things you do which I don't like but don't metion'

should I have not mentioned it (despite it making me want to kill him?)

and perhaps this should be in relationships - how do you not murder a parter who sets your teeth on edge?>

RealityBomb Sun 14-Nov-10 10:53:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheLogLady Sun 14-Nov-10 10:55:17

fucking hell dont get me on to eating. i don't mention his fucking eating noise.
slurpy, hunched over mouth to fork, mashing, chewey, fucking slurp angry

he's going to have to fucking go.

hackingandhewing Sun 14-Nov-10 10:55:30

As long as you would take similar requests not to do things in good grace then YANBU!

badgermonkey Sun 14-Nov-10 10:56:04

I think you're each allowed veto power over a couple of things - DH hates me tapping my nails on my teeth (something I never even knew I did!) and I hate it when he scrapes his cutlery on the plate while eating.

WriterofDreams Sun 14-Nov-10 10:59:43

YADNBU

It would be totally different if you were on at him for something he couldn't change, such as his jaw clicking as he eats (twitch twitch, homicidal rage) but this is something he chooses to do, and it is totally cringeworthy. I hate the sound of dry hands rubbing together so I feel your pain.

TheLogLady Sun 14-Nov-10 11:00:00

i suspect i may be a tad hormonal. i actually want to beat him about the head with an ugly cudgel or something fucker. i am so angry.

i am fucking perfect (if a little lazy).

AgentZigzag Sun 14-Nov-10 11:01:54

I would say it depends on how regularly you say you don't like something he does.

A one off, if you explain why it annoys the fuck out of you, then he'd perhaps be a bit OTT taking as a personal criticism.

If there are a few things you've mentioned, and the noise of him breathing was one of them then I could see why he might go off in a huff.

If I've ever had to say to DH about anything that might lead to his murder if he continues doing it, then I'd probably pull his leg about it and do it back to him when he was doing it, cos he's probably doing it without thinking.

Does he irritate you much?

TheLogLady Sun 14-Nov-10 11:05:36

ah shite - his loud breathing i forgot that one. wheeeze, huff, wheeeze, huff, wheeeze, huff. - i can hear him sodding breathing from upstairs when he is downstairs angry

i rarely menion it though. only when it is really annoying.
i suspect my sleep habits drive him bonkers - and he does mention it often. it's not like i can do anything about what i do when i am asleep. fucking fucker.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sun 14-Nov-10 11:06:09

I thnk you should be able to say something.

However I also think you should expect fall out, I doubt he would be doing it to purposely piss you off.

I can't stand eating noises and DH forgets sometimes and it makes me want to hurt him when he comes and snuggles up to cuddle and eat at the same time. I have to say something for his own protection blush

Igglybuff Sun 14-Nov-10 11:08:35

Yanbu for asking him to stop. Whether he does is another matter grin

I get like this sometimes - usually it's something else bigger which is bothering me and every little thing that I can normally let go seems to pile up and drive me insane.

Can't stand the food noises though. From anyone.

TheLogLady Sun 14-Nov-10 11:09:45

my list of iritating things DH does.

1. eats loudly
2. holds his knife like a pen
3. breathes loudly
4. coughs irritatingly all the sodding time (habit not medical)
5. rubs his hands
6. snores
7. forgets things immediately after a single glass of wine (honestly no point in talking to him)

angry [hormonal]

Igglybuff Sun 14-Nov-10 11:10:55

What is it about the sound of eating that is so disgusting? If I think about it too much and listen too closely It Drives Me Mad. Sometimes I have to adjust my position so the sound doesn't hit one ear more than the other as a compromise.

I'm a loon <hijack over>

pippitysqueakity Sun 14-Nov-10 11:12:55

Oh God...tea slurping anyone?

tethersend Sun 14-Nov-10 11:12:59

DP dances gyrates and punches the air to any music off the telly, whether it be Balamory or the theme to QI.

He knows that if he does it one more time he's going under the patio, but he thinks it's funny. FUNNY.

AgentZigzag Sun 14-Nov-10 11:13:34

I'm not a snorer but DH is, so I was really happy when DH said I'd woken him up snoring when I was pregnant last year, ahhhh the satisfaction I got from irritating him back was something you just can't buy <<smile at the memory>>

RealityBomb Sun 14-Nov-10 11:14:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheLogLady Sun 14-Nov-10 11:15:14

i actualy can't be in the same room as anyone who is eating unless i am too <<ishoos>>.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sun 14-Nov-10 11:15:52

OOh DH is a snorer, it is usually ok if I am properly asleep before he comes to bed, but I am not really sleeping much at the moment and it seems that just as I start to nodd off he starts snoring, he gets rolled over onto his side and I start to try to get to sleep all over again, then he snores and it starts all over again. Benn getting to sleep between 3.30 and 5am for the last couple of weeks angry

ApocalypseCheese Sun 14-Nov-10 11:18:33

Oh fuck yeah, dp always has 6 tins of deodorant which he always keeps lined up, to choose a deodorant he uses a dice each day, meaning almost every morning i'm woken at 5am by the tapping of dice and scraping of shuffled tins <he rolls the dice 6 times>.

He has done this for YEARS.

I've known dp since I was 5 and have vivid recollections of dice issues then, when we started seeing each other when I was 13 his murky dice habit was fully revealed, i'm now 29, I have had almost 16 fecking years of this !

I put my foot down when we go on holiday and have to put up with a week or two of him gibbering and muttering with only two deodorant tins.

I ave been known to hide dice and shuffle tins wink

Tho this leads to him dp manically rifling through the dcs games hmm

He's perfectly normal in all other ways...... honest grin

USoRight Sun 14-Nov-10 11:18:34

Sorry, UABVeryU! Its called living together. My DH does thousands of irritating things, and I'm sure I do too - hormonal or not. The trick is not to focus on them and they fade into the background.

I would love to own a house big enough for two seperate dwellings - his n hers! Then I would never hear his snoring, duvet snatching, see the constant mess in the kitchen, magazines left everywhere, the fucking shitty laziness of the noisy irritating bastard!!! ...deep breathes .. in through the nose and out throught the mouth ... I'm back again [calm emoticon]

badgermonkey Sun 14-Nov-10 11:22:48

AC, I'm sorry, but the dice thing is crazy. Not a jury in the land would convict.

Doigthebountyeater Sun 14-Nov-10 11:24:41

Dh is not allowed to
mouthbreath
suck in air at the end of a sentence
rub his forehead in a weird stressy way
do a poo without warning me first (only one bathroom and his are revolting)

I don't care if that makes me a psycho.

Doigthebountyeater Sun 14-Nov-10 11:25:30

Lol at the dice/deoderant thing!

ApocalypseCheese Sun 14-Nov-10 11:26:02

He does the same with football scores, and then theres his penny jar obsession........ the contents of which I once hid and left ransom notes for blush

See, SEE what I have to put up with, no wonder i'm constantly hormental <rattles teeth>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now