Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to treble the amount of brandy in the Christmas cake?

(32 Posts)
TmiEdward Sat 13-Nov-10 21:33:02

The recipe says 3 tablespoons.

That just seems so... scant compared to the piles of dried fruit. It looks like a small EU Food Mountain.

GingerGlitterGoddess Sat 13-Nov-10 21:36:03

Not at all, provided there will be no smokers partaking grin

GingerGlitterGoddess Sat 13-Nov-10 21:36:29

3 tbsps is stingey (sp?) IMO

BuntyPenfold Sat 13-Nov-10 21:36:32

Bake it with the specified amount, drizzle the rest on before wrapping to store

TmiEdward Sat 13-Nov-10 21:39:29

I'm planning on feeding with plenty more once it's cooked.
I've stuck in 9tbs. It's still pretty dry.

rocketleaf Sat 13-Nov-10 21:41:56

I agree with bunty, I 'fed' mine last year, poked some holes in it with a skewer and drizzled a spoon full over it every week up until xmas. If you put more in before baking it will just cook off.

rocketleaf Sat 13-Nov-10 21:42:24

oh sorry cross post there.

marriednotdead Sat 13-Nov-10 21:48:10

Beware of overfeeding though.

My MIL made my wedding cake and it was so drunk that the alcohol could clearly be seen seeping out and bleeding into the icing. I have to explain whenever anyone looks at my wedding photos as it looks odd. Was bloody gorgeous though grin

<Pauses then retracts first sentence>

ChippingIn Sat 13-Nov-10 21:51:08

My friend started soaking the fruit quite early last year, kept trying to get around to making it and not having time, so kept topping up the brandy in the fruit.... by the time she made it, she'd put almost a whole bottle in - very, very yummy cake grin

kodokan Sat 13-Nov-10 21:51:40

I'm doing a recipe where you soak the fruit for a month before making the cake, and I was just the same as you - 'that's not enough brandy for all that fruit'.

So I just poured more on until all the fruit had its feet in the liquid (about 2/3 brandy and 1/3 orange juice, and probably a generous mugful in total).

No one's driving at ours this Christmas, so hey!

TmiEdward Sat 13-Nov-10 21:52:18

It's amazing how much those tiny little currants can suck up, isn't it?!

zipzap Sun 14-Nov-10 00:01:55

remember to throw an extra handful of dried fruit in along with an extra half bottle good slug when you soak it so you can test it and make sure it is properly sozzled grin

thenightsky Sun 14-Nov-10 00:04:57

my fruit has been in a combo of brandy, port, cherry brandy, rum, sherry etc for ages.

reading this thread has reminded me I should maybe get it bakedtomorrow morning.

onmyfeet Sun 14-Nov-10 04:09:40

I have never made a fruitcake, but now I want to. grin Is it too late to start one? Can I trust google for a good recipe?

TmiEdward Sun 14-Nov-10 16:57:10

I'm making Delia's Christmas cake. A very traditional recipe, but very good.

The fruit is still sozzling soaking. grin

thenightsky Sun 14-Nov-10 17:02:32

onmyfeet.... I'm using Delia's Creole Christmas cake. I did it last year and it seems pretty foolproof.

Just got it out of the oven about an hour ago and the whole house now smells of Christmas!

MooMooFarm Sun 14-Nov-10 17:02:33

I did the one that says 3 tbsp too, the Delia one? I sloshed in loads more than 3 cos as you say, it looked nothing like enough.

And BTW, if you are doing the same Delia one, ignore her advice re cooking time to 'not even look until 4 hours have passed' - luckily I am too nosey to leave it that long and checked after 3 and a half hrs - it was already a bit burnt sad

TmiEdward Sun 14-Nov-10 17:06:05

Oh yeah, I have a fan oven and have to lower temp and cooking time. 4 and a half hours is just ridiculous.
I find you do have to wrap the tin well to stop the crust burning.

ant3nna Sun 14-Nov-10 17:25:03

I always use just the 3tblspns in my Delia Christmas cake and it tastes fine. It does get fed booze every week though and is wonderfully moist come Christmas.

I agree that 4 hours is too long for a fan oven but when I had a gas oven it took about 5 and a half hours to cook.

PrettyCandles Sun 14-Nov-10 17:37:03

I over-fed a Christmas cake one year, and we didn't get around to eating it until after the New Year, by which time the marzipan had dissolved and the icing was standing above the cake. Messy to cut, but veeeeeeeery tasty.

Glitterknickaz Sun 14-Nov-10 17:38:55

YANBU.
I just sloshed it in, didn't even measure it...

moajab Sun 14-Nov-10 18:55:35

I've made Delia's christmas cake and I at least doubled the amount of brandy she suggested and added orange juice as well for the soaking! No idea what it tastes like yet but it smells great! I'm feeding it regularly with brandy as well!

TmiEdward Sun 14-Nov-10 20:24:21

Well, it is in the oven now.
I licked the spoon and, I think I can safely say, the cake could be charged with being drunk in charge of an oven grin

ApricotWorms Sun 14-Nov-10 20:30:23

YABU you must quadruple the amount grin I love Delia and make her cake every Christmas (feeding mine apple brandy this year and it is smelling good) but she's a tad stingy when it comes to soaking the fruit.

GeruptaSingh Sun 14-Nov-10 21:17:25

Thanks for reminding me I ned to feed our Christmas cake tonight
We put about 4 tbls in every sunday

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: