Advanced search

In Thinking Friend's Dogs Should Be Better Controlled

(54 Posts)
zukiecat Sat 13-Nov-10 17:26:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FancyALittle Sat 13-Nov-10 17:28:47

YANBU at all.

faverolles Sat 13-Nov-10 17:29:31

Not sure if you could say anything without her being offended tbh.

Don't go next time? Or suggest meeting at a cafe/pub?

zukiecat Sat 13-Nov-10 17:34:56

lady007pink Sat 13-Nov-10 17:35:33

OMG, that sounds awful OP. I can't understand the mentality of people that never discipline their children/dogs when they run riot like this.

I have a King Charles Spaniel, and he would not be allowed to behave like this with visitors or when the children are eating.

How can your friend think this was funny confused

YANBU

zukiecat Sat 13-Nov-10 17:42:12

FattyArbuckel Sat 13-Nov-10 17:49:00

Don't go to lunch at hers any more

My friend's great dane is allowed to lick the plate of rolls waiting for the hot dogs at BBQs. She thinks its fine because he sleeps in her bed and licks her face. His head is twice the size of mine and he weighs 16 stone. If you sit on her sofa he tries to sit on your lap. He drinks the water that the candles are floating on. He treads on your toes and it hurts like mad. Its like having a drunk 16 stone man at a party with few inhibitions...

I think criticising someone's pets can be like criticising their kids...at your peril...

zukiecat Sat 13-Nov-10 17:58:17

Myleetlepony Sat 13-Nov-10 18:17:49

Bloody hell, I'd have had to walk out before I threw up. I find this sort of thing completely revolting.

Pixel Sat 13-Nov-10 18:23:29

My friend is like this with her dogs, it puts me off going to her house tbh. I'm not afraid of dogs but these are powerful boxers with no manners. They leap at you the moment you set foot in the door and then there isn't a minute's peace from their jumping all over you and slobbering. Accepting a cup of tea is a hazardous affair!

If they were mine I would shut them in the kitchen or garden when visitors were in the house.

Or train them!

lljkk Sat 13-Nov-10 18:46:02

yanbu, I can't understand people at all who allow their dogs to beg during meals or don't keep their dogs under strict control during meal times. I like dogs, btw, I am usually the one on MN defending dogs off leads or dogs as a part of ordinary life, but dogs as part of human meal time, no no no!!

DooinMeCleanin Sat 13-Nov-10 18:49:42

I don't allow my dogs to behave like that but as a dog owner YABU to ask her to lock them up. It's her house, her dogs, her rules. Sorry. If you don't like it, don't eat there.

If people ask me to put my dogs out/lock them up I generally offer them use of the yard/crate instead smile

albertcamus Sat 13-Nov-10 18:49:53

YANBU, I recently visited a friend's parents to make a telephone call for them in French and was accosted by two HUGE Great Danes which wanted to slobber, pester, dribble & mate with me - YUCK !!! I had to protest politely three times before they were ushered out to the garden. Even from a distance of about a metre their slobber managed to hit me. The whole house reeked strongly of dog and much of the woodwork had been chewed. I don't think some people realise the repulsiveness of their own animals. They were very sweet and lovely people, but unaware of the effect of their dogs on me, and unwilling to shut them firmly away when I first protested

midori1999 Sat 13-Nov-10 19:01:32

"I don't allow my dogs to behave like that but as a dog owner YABU to ask her to lock them up. It's her house, her dogs, her rules. Sorry. If you don't like it, don't eat there."

This. My dogs are well behaved, albeit enthusiastic intially when people visit (they don't jump up, they just like to say hello keenly!). I always keep them in the room with us when people visit and whilst I don't expect visitors to accept being mauled or trodden/sat on, my dogs live here and I prefer them to most humans, if someone asked me to put them in another room, I wouldn't care if they never visited again.

If your friend is happy for her dog to behave this way, I suspect she's equally happy to choose the dog over you.

zukiecat Sat 13-Nov-10 19:06:26

Vallhala Sat 13-Nov-10 19:07:52

I have three dogs and whilst I wouldn't let mine behave like this I wouldn't crate them for a visitor either. If a guest asked me to they would find their visit cut short.

As usual, Midori speaks much sense and I agree with her 100%.

DooinMeCleanin Sat 13-Nov-10 19:10:55

Well they should be trained. They would be trained of they were mine. Mine are taught from the minute they enter my house that if they beg for food they will be removed from the room we are eating and/or contained in their crate. However they are not my dogs, nor are they yours. It is up to your friend how she chooses to let her dogs behave.

AnyoneforTurps Sat 13-Nov-10 19:11:37

As a dog-owner, I'd say YANBU. Not everyone likes dogs and even many people who do would be revolted by dogs who behaved like this.

I want visitors to feel comfortable in my house. My dog is pretty well behaved (does not beg, never fed from the table, not allowed on furniture, does not jump up) but she still goes in the garden if I get any vibes that she is making a visitor uncomfortable.

DooinMeCleanin Sat 13-Nov-10 19:13:28

I don't trust people who don't like dogs so don't want them in my house anyway grin

zukiecat Sat 13-Nov-10 19:13:37

Vallhala Sat 13-Nov-10 19:14:27

Zukie, I don't know about DoinMeCleanin (though I reckon I could take a good guess! wink ) but for the record, I'd be fine with three dogs jumping on my head, licking my plae and face and barking and whining whilst I ate.

It happens quite a lot with the dogs I work with!

DooinMeCleanin Sat 13-Nov-10 19:17:40

I like bouncy dogs smile. So much more fun than dogs who sleep all the time

<stares accusingly at sleepy, cat like puppy>
<attempts to get cat like puppy to engage in game of tug. Fails>

<disclaimer I love cat like puppy. I'd just like her to do something sometimes grin>

AnyoneforTurps Sat 13-Nov-10 19:19:36

I don't trust people who don't like dogs

Many people don't like dogs because they have had frightening experiences with them. Some people come from cultures where dogs are seen as unclean. Some people just have irrational fears.

I can't understand any dog owner who would be happy for a guest to be uncomfortable. Is it such a big deal to keep the dog under control (and in a different room if necessary) for an hour or two?

zukiecat Sat 13-Nov-10 19:20:50

Vallhala Sat 13-Nov-10 19:21:44

It is to me, Anyone.

<<Hands energetic, loony black and tan GSD to Dooin and runs away fast>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now